no carbs

Options

Replies

• sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I have been on a low carb diet for around two years now, starting due to my I.B.S rather than the weight loss side of things.
    it is sustainable if you enjoy what you eat and don’t try to kind of bully yourself into keeping them out.
    I stick to around 20 - 30g a day which suits me, but you may want to go a little higher to start and lower if you need to.

I did lose 47lbs cutting down my carbs, although it was not my main goal, it was rather nice!
    However when cutting down carbs your energy levels go down quite a bit in the first week or so.

I tend to stay a away from the "Atkins" style diet, as much as I want to be slim, I don’t want to damage my heart with the fatty foods the Atkins diet is based around.

Totally natural foods tend to be a little lower in carbs.
    eggs, meat, fish, and although some veg is high, celery, asparagus and some others aren’t.
    also vegetarian food can be quite low, quorn is low in carbs and saturated fats.
    For fruit, berries, strawberries (which are also a negative calorie food) strawberries, raspberries etc.
    Good fats are from your nuts, almonds, walnuts and peanuts are very low in carbohydrates.

I can’t really deal with food in the mornings, so I have a protein shake by a company called "AvidHiPro" they have a range of snacks, shakes and soups which are healthy and low carb.

Some really good reference sites for carbohydrate counting are

http://caloriecount.about.com
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com
    www.ourcivilisation.com
    www.simplyrecipes.com

Hope this is helpful, and good luck
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    first, there are LOTS of nutrition plans to choose to lose weight. You should choose one that you believe you can stick with for the rest of your life. so, while doing a low carb diet like Atkins can be effective while you're on it...if you don't think you can sustain it for the long haul, then you may just gain the weight back when you've had enough of "no or little carbs". I know. I did Atkins in 2005. lost 50. stopped. gained it back plus some.

second, carbs are commonly misunderstood. not all carbs are created equal. non-processed carbs give you energy and should not be sharply restricted. its the processed foods that contain the carbs you want to restrict (although you don't have to eliminate them either). One reason for this is the insulin reaction caused by carbs with a high GI value....and since insulin is the hormone that stores food as body fat, you really don't want too much of it running around your body too often. Read this blog of mine for more information....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/a-story-about-insulin-glucagon-and-the-glycemic-index-chart-411155
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Have you ever try using sprouted grain products? These types of products would be the better for you type of carbs when you eat them. Ezekiel brand is one of them. They have breads, muffin and cereal products that you may enjoy w/o the guilt. Check in to your local health food market or health food aisle at your local grocer. You will find some really yummy, good for you low carb options that you can eat when you get the urge. Trader Joe's (if you have one in your area) has sprouted breads that are a little more affordable. I like my spouted bread sandwiches panini style. Good luck to you & I hope this helps. :smile:
  • sazloufox
    Options
    I tried cutting carbs out and it's hard/not good for a few reasons:
    1. It's hard to think of different meals, especially at breakfast where I didnt really have time to cook meats and egg and a yoghurt just didn't do it for me EVERYDAY
    2. My skin went really greasy from all of the fats and oils, especially my face
    3. I felt like I lacked energy
    4. It does help you lose weight but the minute you start eating carbs again it goes back on.
    5. Eating away from home was a nightmare
    6. It set a bad example to my daughter
    7. You'd body needs carbs

There are more reasons but I could go on forever. Switch to complex carbs, ie white pasta to whole meal, white rice to brown and even a slice of whole meal toast won't pile the pounds on. Sticking to 100g is do-able if you weigh stuff and plan ahead. But my best advice is to eat a balanced diet, with smaller portions! Good luck :-)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Have you ever try using sprouted grain products? These types of products would be the better for you type of carbs when you eat them. Ezekiel brand is one of them

Man, that stuff is delicious.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy.

There's countries (and regions of the world) where people live longer than anywhere else on Earth.

Guess what? Their diets include healthy carbs. Of course they have a strong focus on eating local and they get plenty of outdoor activity. It's all about balance.
  • mahlerosa
    Options
    I do low carb. It helps me from feeling hungry all the time and also helps me moderate my blood glucose.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have completely cut out all grains, processed foods and starchy vegetables after reading the Primal blueprint and I feel amazing. I eat between 50 and 100g of carbs a day.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    as for breakfast, I typically choose one of the following:

1. 2 eggs over medium, cooked with a little bit of butter, and one cup of berries...either blackberries, raspberries or blueberries. 3 cups of water. note: blackberries and raspberries give you 8 grams of fiber per cup...so that's nice too. (this is my most common breakfast)

2. one package of instant oatmeal with one cup of berries. 3 cups of water

3. one scoop of protein powder mixed with water and then one cup of berries...or sometimes I skip the berries and have two scoops of protein powder mixed with water. 3 cups of water (in addition to the water used to mix the protein powder)

berries have a low GI value and the extra fiber is nice...plus they taste good :)
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy.

There's countries (and regions of the world) where people live longer than anywhere else on Earth.

Guess what? Their diets include healthy carbs. Of course they have a strong focus on eating local and they get plenty of outdoor activity. It's all about balance.

Read the Primal Blueprint.... It's not CARBS it's all the processed carbs we scarf that effect out blood sugar that's the enemy
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins in 2005. lost 50. stopped. gained it back plus some.

isn't that the story with any diet?
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy.

Read the Primal Blueprint.... It's not CARBS it's all the processed carbs we scarf that effect out blood sugar that's the enemy

I absolutely agree. I don't need to read that though--but I agree it is a good resource for some. I'm a healthy weight and very active. I eat as clean as possible. I also suggest reading 'Eating Animals', 'Animal. Vegetable. Miracle.' and anything by Michael Pollan. I also have been volunteering teaching kid's programs at a farm for the past 12+ years. :) Learning is a constant process! :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, I limited my carbohydrates to about 75 grams a day to induce a large loss of water weight so that I could exercise without the pain caused by lugging around 308 lbs. I lost 30 lbs., mostly water, the first month, and it helped spur my exercise routine. I should also point out that it's very easy to stay sated because calories are coming from fat and protein. I could eat 5 pieces of bacon, 3 eggs with cheese and red bell peppers, and a glass of milk, and be good until dinner.

From my research, it appears that the body, regardless of size, only needs around 50 grams of carbohydrates a day during weight loss to avoid significant gluconeogenesis, where the body risks losing lean mass. If a person is involved in weight training or endurance training, I believe those numbers change to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. For example, I have about 175 lbs. of lean mass, so I take in roughly 175 grams a day, on average, because I engage in strength training, on some level, nearly every day. For someone who just walks, or performs other low-intensity exercise, there is apparently no practical need for anything above 50 grams a day.

To encourage the body to burn fat most of the day while using glycogen and sparing muscle during intense exercise, you can try eating most of your carbohydrates within 2 hours of exercising. Anecdotally, that's made a significant difference in my exercise performance and body composition.

Parenthetically, you'll hear some people say that the brain needs at least 120 grams of glucose a day to function properly. Your brain can run on ketones, just fine, when you're on a low carbohydrate diet. It's how epileptics and people with Alzheimers disease are able to function better -- they have trouble using glucose for brain activity; therefore, they are on high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diets.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    I did Atkins in 2005. lost 50. stopped. gained it back plus some.

isn't that the story with any diet?

I know, right?
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i've just looked at my food diary and most days i'm around 100-120 g carbs per day(unintentionally though, I tend to gravitate toward protein and fats, i'd rather have a good steak and big azz salad than potatoes)

i meet my macros (1600-1800 cals a day) through lean meats, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes and LOTS of vegetables. when i make my protein pancakes i do put 1/3 cup of dry oats in them though, i eat those about 2-3x a week. i also have 1/2 LIGHTLY PACKED brown jasmine rice with my lean meat for lunch 2-3x a week as well.

sunday is my cheat day and i carb up like a mofo then....usually a homemade hamburger with a good ciabatta bun and some french fries. knowing that i've worked hard all week and sunday is my rest/relax/cheat day gives me something to look forward to :laugh:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Remember, folks, just because someone HAS success on the Paleo diet does not mean their success is DUE TO the Paleo diet.

Not hating on you cavemen folk out there, just pointing something out.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    i've just looked at my food diary and most days i'm around 100-120 g carbs per day(unintentionally though, I tend to gravitate toward protein and fats, i'd rather have a good steak and big azz salad than potatoes)

i meet my macros (1600-1800 cals a day) through lean meats, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes and LOTS of vegetables. when i make my protein pancakes i do put 1/3 cup of dry oats in them though, i eat those about 2-3x a week. i also have 1/2 LIGHTLY PACKED brown jasmine rice with my lean meat for lunch 2-3x a week as well.

sunday is my cheat day and i carb up like a mofo then....usually a homemade hamburger with a good ciabatta bun and some french fries. knowing that i've worked hard all week and sunday is my rest/relax/cheat day gives me something to look forward to :laugh:

Hear, hear! Your entire plan, with the cheat day, is a recipe for success. You're burning fat most of the time and then resetting your leptin levels on Sunday. That's smart.
  • lee2012w
    lee2012w Posts: 10
    Options
    Really this is all a guessing game to me. The only thing i have been counting is calories and making sure i don't go over them. The carbs was something a friends mentioned so i looked it up but i wanted to get other peoples opinions and experiences too. Actually i am thinking the things that irritate my ibs bread/potatoes/pasta are also starchy foods as well as high carbs so maybe it could be that making it play up. I am going to try and keep them under 100g an see how i go but i don't think i will be really strict about it and won't worry if i go over. I'm not used to eating three times a day so i don't want to push my eating too much. If i don't go over the recommended calories etc i think i will be happy with that but try bring carbs down