How do I Eat More To Weigh Less??

Options

Replies

• Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It boils down to Eating MORE than your BMR, but less than your TDEE to lose weight. "Eat more" doesn't mean go crazy and eat everything, lol, which is probably why people are confused by the concept. I'm 5'6, 155 lbs and workout heavily 5 times a week. My BMR is 1530, so I don't eat or NET below that, ever. My TDEE(maintenance) is around 2400 calories. So as long as I eat anywhere between those two numbers, I will lose weight. I adjust the amount depending on my activities for the day. Generally I eat around 2100 and net 1600 on strenuous exercise days.

Find out your BMR and TDEE, like some people above have already mentioned, and just stick to eating between those two numbers. If you've been eating 1200 (too low for many people) for a long time, then expect some initial water weight gain as your body adjusts to the higher amounts. That will level out sooner or later, depending on how long you had been restricting. You will lose weight as long as you have accurately calculated your BMR and TDEE and stick to them.

Hope that all makes sense!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    its not 'eating more' as in being able to eat $hitloads and still lose, more that you don't need to cut cals QUITE as much as some people do - eg maybe you could still lose @ 1500, and not need to go down to 1200.

Helloitsdans post 'in place of a roadmap' explains it really well, basically all it comes down to is calculate the total energy you burn from normal daily activy and exercise (this is your TDEE and what you would need to eat to maintain), calculate your BMR (which is what your body needs to survive if you were in a coma), eat between the two and you WILL lose.

Example - my BMR is 1550. TDEE is 2800ish. I eat 2100cals which is 700 deficit - apx 1.5lbs a week (40 carbs / 30 protein / 30 fat), and try to get 5 fruit & veg a day. I do eat 'bad' things, but try to be healthy most of the time.
    It WORKS, ive lost 60lbs in 10 months, have only had 2 0.5lb gains in that time - once following an injury and once following a car accident. Slow loss combined with exercise (heavy weights / moderate cardio) is far better than aiming for too much and ending up regaining the weight.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Go here and calculate your TDEE. That'll give you an idea of how much you should be eating each day to "maintain." To lose weight, simply stay under that total. I say simply with tounge in cheek.

You should never consume less than 1200 calories a day.

I was eating around 2000 calories a day per MFP suggestions and stalled out as my workouts became more intense. Now that I have bumped my calorie intake to at least 2500 a day, I have steadily lost 1-2 pounds a week. I have been eating clean and around 2500 calories a day for about 5 weeks now and have lost almost 10 pounds (9.8 to be exact). On days that I have high activity levels, I add my "post workout" meal to be daily meals. It's just a meal I like to have that is higher in calories and high in all three macros. I usually eat it after hockey or after the gym. Eventhough it's 700 calories, I'm hungry about 60-90 minutes later.

Whole foods are the only way to go. I hate chicken with a passion with how much of it I eat, but, it's vital to my diet. I try to work in a steak or two throughout the week and fish when I get a chance.

I could go on and on. Any ?'s, just message me.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear the answer to this too. I'm in the energy in/energy out camp - eat more than you need and you WILL put on weight - eat less than you need and you WILL lose weight.

Some will talk about lean mass and starvation mode and metabolism ebla bla.

"Eat more to lose weight" is pure bollocks

Dude, REALLY?
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The way I look at eat more to weigh less is eating a ton of food, but it's all low cal. I can eat 3 cups of broccoli half of a chicken breast and some fruit for under 400 calories. That is a lot of freaking food! I can also eat an entire head of cauliflower for about 200 calories. I guess I kind of think of eat more to weigh less as an off shoot of clean eating coupled with volumetrics
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    EM2WL is a nice catch phrase, but it's really about eating the RIGHT amount for you, which is typically somewhere between your BMR (the amount of calories your body burns completely at rest, just staying alive) and your TDEE (the total amount of calories you burn in a day including your BMR, normal daily activity and exercise).

For instance, my BMR at 5'5, 40 years old and 134 pounds, is estimated to be 1,279. I personally think that's low because it's based on statistical averages and I've been working damn hard to have a little more muscle and a little less body fat than the statistically average 40 year old. :smile:

My TDEE is estimated around 2327. Which means, as long as I eat less than 2327, I'll lose weight. How much I lose depends on how I eat. Losing two pounds a week would put me at 1327, which is more than my BMR, but I don't have enough excess body fat to support that kind of a deficit and I'd be tired and miserable and not be able to perform as well. I lost best eating around 1800-2100 calories total, which was around 1350-1500 plus exercise calories.
  • dlashawn5
    dlashawn5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I read the BMR article and got a little confused, besides I am generally not a numbers crunchers. I drink a lot of water, so I am not hungry enough to keep eating more, I drink water and I keep up with my three meals two snacks a day routine. IF I am hungry for more, then I will eat but only after I drink a glass of water to see if I was truly hungry. If I eat, I try to eat fruits and/or veggies. What works for me is eat less, exercise more. From my own experience, I am not the type that will lose steadily on a daily basis. I ultimately lose the inches first then the weight falls off. So, I avoid the scale like the plaque becuase it will only discourage me. What I do is, keep up with my calorie intake and make sure I stay within that number or a little below depending on my excerise activity. So far, I've lost about 7 pounds, and a bunch of inches. I have been at a stand still on my weight for over a week, but I have lost more inches which means, the weight will drop off real soon. This is the key, FOR ME!
  • MegKness
    Options
    Like mentioned earlier everyone is different, I have always cut calories too lose weight to the extreme, I have an eating disorder and it was normal for me to go 3 or 4 days on a banana and water. After having my second baby I just want to be in shape and healthy, I was eating 600 to 800 calories and doing Jillian Michael workouts an hour a day and didnt lose any weight for almost 1 month. In the last 2 weeks I have bumped my calories to 1200 and started insanity, I feel better and have lost 3 lbs! I am 5' 4" and before my pregnancy was 117, now 9 weeks postpartum I am 130. Still would like to lose 5 to 10 lbs but I also want to build muscle this time. I can say with a eating disorder it blew my mind to eat more but its working. I honestly think my metabolism had slowed down so much that my body was holding on to the food I ate for energy, I was really starving my body.
  • SnapNTurtle
    Options
    Also, do strengthening exercises every other day. 15 minutes worth should be enough. Those muscles will be the ones to get your metabolism going . . . and they need the snacks to keep them going. Do your regular form of exercise on the other days. You should be losing about 2 pounds a week then. After 12 weeks of dieting, eat what you normally would until you gain 3 pounds and then go back on the diet. Keep doing this in increments until you've lost the weight you want . . . by then, it may be habit, so you'll be eating healthy anyway - it's a life style. Good Luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The way I look at eat more to weigh less is eating a ton of food, but it's all low cal. I can eat 3 cups of broccoli half of a chicken breast and some fruit for under 400 calories. That is a lot of freaking food! I can also eat an entire head of cauliflower for about 200 calories. I guess I kind of think of eat more to weigh less as an off shoot of clean eating coupled with volumetrics

Nope. That's not the idea at all.

Because there is a big difference between you feeling full, and your body being fed fully for the level of activity you put it through.

You can get all your nutrients in 800 calories if you try real hard. But your body could be starving for energy, calories.
    You could get all your energy needs in 2000 calories by eating crap. But your body could still be starving for nutrients.

Either extreme is going to lead to stress on the body, non-optimal performance in whatever you do, and for weight loss, setting yourself up for failure sooner or later.
    All to be repeated again down the road.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with WHAT you eat. You could eat 1200 calories in twinkies and not be allowed very many OR you could eat 1200 calories of fruits, veggies and lean proteins and be allowed much more. Also, how divide your calories throughout the day makes a difference. Three 400 calorie meals as opposed to six 200 calories meals. (you can divide the numbers anyway you like) The more small meals the less time you have to feel hungry and the more your metabolism works. Exercise! the more you exercise, the more you burn, therefore, the more you can eat.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an Eat More Weigh Less success story. I started out at 158 and never ate below 1350 + eating back my exercise calories (usually between 300-500 a day). I had my weight loss set at 1 pound a week at first and then as I had about 5-10 pounds left to go I changed it to 1/2 pound a week which had me at about 1500 calories. I am now at maintenance and eat between 1800-2100 calories a day. I will be the first to admit that I do not eat as much "healthy" food as I should, but I also work my butt off at the gym and have started lifting. I currently weigh 126 (I actually lost 4 pounds according to my scale in the past two weeks even at my maintenance calorie level, so apparently I need to eat even more to maintain!).
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Seems like the phrase "eat more to weigh less" is open to such wide interpretation that it really doesn't help anyone.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    IMO, the whole "starvation mode" issue is really something else...

When a person eats below their body's MINIMUM requirements (BMR) the body naturally lowers it's caloric (energy) needs to maintain life and continue to function. Its not really starvation, its adaptation. It doesn't happen over night, but it does happen.

SO, when you are trying to loose weight and your body has adapted to the low caloric deficit, you struggle to loose because in order to reach the required weight loss deficit, you must continue to lower your intake until it's impossible to do anymore. This is why people who eat at 1200 a day GAIN when they eat more. Its takes time.

Eating MORE doesn't mean eating EVERYTHING in mass quantities. It means eating at a slight deficit (1/2 pound a week) and fueling with body with the energy it needs to preform at it's peak.

I used to eat 1200 a day for a long time when I didn't know better. I now eat upwards of 2000 a day.

there are resources available on this subject. Ive spent a lot of time researching it for myself because I was tired of feeling starved all the time. It was worth every second! I can lift more, run farther, faster, longer, I can compete and endure. Not to mention that my body composition is always changing for the good.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Seems like the phrase "eat more to weigh less" is open to such wide interpretation that it really doesn't help anyone.

It's not open to wide interpretation. Some people just interpret it wrong. It simply means eating between BMR and TDEE. That's all.

It's also not true that it doesn't help anyone. It helps everyone who does it correctly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Nope. That's not the idea at all.

Because there is a big difference between you feeling full, and your body being fed fully for the level of activity you put it through.

You can get all your nutrients in 800 calories if you try real hard. But your body could be starving for energy, calories.
    You could get all your energy needs in 2000 calories by eating crap. But your body could still be starving for nutrients.

Either extreme is going to lead to stress on the body, non-optimal performance in whatever you do, and for weight loss, setting yourself up for failure sooner or later.
    All to be repeated again down the road.

Thank you for your thoughts on it! The reason I like to eat in this manner is I like to eat. A lot. So I do. I eat a ton of food feel full and satisfied and stay at my caloric goal. If I exercise during the day I will factor in some denser food to make sure I don't feel dizzy. The other reason I like eating that way is becuase it helps with my water intake goals
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    The concept is to more healthy foods, mainly fruits and veggies. For example, you can have several servings of veggies and fruit for the same amount of calories in the average protein bar or diet microwave meal. It's not about eating more calories it's about eating more food.

I don't consume many calories and I eat up to 3x a much as most people on here. I eat all day! I'm just choosing foods high in nutrients instead of the typical diet stuff or a few crackers with an oz of cheese.

If you eat a whole plate of food for the same amount of calories in a small plate you will better off. You will get the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

You are what you eat so choose wisely.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    The concept is to more healthy foods, mainly fruits and veggies. For example, you can have several servings of veggies and fruit for the same amount of calories in the average protein bar or diet microwave meal. It's not about eating more calories it's about eating more food.

I don't consume many calories and I eat up to 3x a much as most people on here. I eat all day! I'm just choosing foods high in nutrients instead of the typical diet stuff or a few crackers with an oz of cheese.

If you eat a whole plate of food for the same amount of calories in a small plate you will better off. You will get the vitamins and minerals your body needs.

That is incorrect. It IS about eating more calories, albeit as nutritious as you can. Just not more than maintenance level.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

That is incorrect. It IS about eating more calories, albeit as nutritious as you can. Just not more than maintenance level.

I concur... That is incorrect. I myself and many other friends on here still eat stuff other then fruits and veggies and have had fabulous success. :wink:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I think the term was coined more to encourage and also convince people that eating less than what a body needs to function properly is counter-productive. Most experts tell us not to eat under 1200 calories and many people do thinking "the less I eat the more fat I'll lose". That is only partly true because the human body is built to protect and even heal itself. You can find many articles on this. You can google metabolism, optimal fat loss but beware of gimmicks, pills and fad diets that will surely popup to try and sway you. People are rich and still getting there off of people that don't read all the facts about how the human body works.

Eat what your body needs, good nutrition. And eat what your weight, age, height etc. will determine on a calculator.

Denise