Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Best Low Calorie Cocktails/Alcohol

Hello MFP Community-

I'm going up north this weekend with my boyfriend and his family, and need some help!

There is ALWAYS a lot of alcohol consumed over weekend, so I'm hoping to:

1. Drink in moderation and keep track of my calories.

This is something I've NEVER done, and probably contributed to gaining weight in college. I would drink whatever, whenever and never think about the calories it was costing me. I became obsessed with microbrewed beers (living in the midwest with some AWESOME breweries close by) but they can cost me 200-300 calories per 12 ounces! Ouch!!!

2. Get the best "bang for my buck" in terms of calories and sugar, so I can participate and have fun (part of my failures in weight loss in the past have been due, in part, to feeling limited, restricted or left out).

Are gin & tonics the lowest calorie cocktail?
Do you guys have other ideas or things you've concocted that are delicious & low-cal?

Thanks!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Go for a Press.

Blueberry Press. Strawberry Press... a press is simply flavored vodka with soda water. It has about 4 more calories than a regular shot of vodka (69 vs 65), but the extra flavor is WELL worth it.

I drank all weekend (I know, shame), with sunday starting at noon and stopping at 1am... and still managed to reach my 1 pound a week. Can't get better than a Press!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I recently switched to vodka / diet coke with a slice of lime.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Straight whiskey, 69 cal/oz. :happy:
  • clbran3
    clbran3 Posts: 1
    My favorite trick is to mix flavored Bacardi Rum (there are a ton of flavors - Arctic Grape, Peach, Orange, Coconut, Watermelon, Apple, Dragon Berry, Cherry, Lemon etc....) with water and take my own individual packets of Crystal Lite to the bar with me and mix it in. You are only consuming the calories for the liquor itself and mainting a better level of hydration by mixing with water. Usually 1 individual pack will last over 3-4 drinks. My favorite combo is Grape with a Cranberry or Cran-Grape Crystal Lite. Get creative though with flavors!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Except some of the bars I go to don't have the flavored vodkas or rums. Yeah, so don't go to those dives, right? LOL! But that is why I settled on the vodka and diet coke.
  • litak85472
    litak85472 Posts: 17 Member
    My favorite is just mixing a high alcohol content vodka (not flavored) and Fresca citrus drink. Fresca has no calories. Other than that, gin and tonic is good and even just sipping on wine or champagne will get the job done for me. I still make my goals when I drink on the weekend too. Drink moderately but I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, have fun :)
  • Vodka has no carbs.. It has calories, but no sugar and carbs. Vodka and Diet Tonic is my drink of choice.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Um...no to the tonic. It adds a good 60 calories (not to mention add'l carbs if you care about that) to your already 70 calorie shot of vodka or gin. Either liquor on the rocks, with water, or a diet soda (most bars only have diet coke which I hate) OR cut your losses and go for a light beer (Coors Light is 102 calories).
  • bosoxjenn
    bosoxjenn Posts: 12 Member
    I like vodka and soda water with just a splash of juice. You get the flavor from the juice (pineapple, grapefruit, cranberry, whatever), but cut the calories by using soda water. It does the trick for me!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Drink good vodka with club soda and lots of limes. Delicious!