Seeking Recommendations for Strong Tasting Foods

Options
I'm looking for recommendations for strong tasting, but lower calorie, foods to add to recipes / salads. For example, I generally bring in a greek salad for lunch because I like the strong taste of feta and kalamata olives. Similarly, I'll add a lot of sauteed mushrooms to recipes because I like the strong taste. Any other recommendations for other foods to try? (FYI, I really dislike bleu cheese, so that's definitely not on my list!) Any tricks to bump up taste / bulk of recipes without adding a lot of calories?

Replies

• live_your_dreams
    live_your_dreams Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    have you tried adding Kosher salt to some of your recipes? No calories, and half the amount of sodium of reg salt and it taste great! I use it in rice, stir fry's, pasta, when I cook meats and fish etc.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    kimchi. pickled cabbage with lots of spices. one of the staple Korean dishes. I love it!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: sriracha. Adds strong flavor to everything. I second the kimchi suggestion too, but your co-workers may not appreciate the pungency of it (garlic, lots of it adn more).
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    honey mustard
  • HolllyBot
    Options
    hot pepper flakes
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    boeuf bourguignon- small amount on rice or noodels.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like to make a sauce of yogurt and curry to marinate chicken/cook veggies, you can make a nice little stew to serve over rice.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I like to roast a head of garlic and just eat the cloves. Also great spread on toast. Red onion is another of my faves. You might want to invest in a pack of gum for later though. :wink:
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    balsamic vinegar and salsa are both strong flavors and mix well with veggies and grains
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    banana peppers
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    dijon mustard with horseradish on my veggies and sandwhiches
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I'm interested to see what people have to say. My other half won't eat a lot of the healthier things I make because he can't taste subtle flavours.
  • jojosgreen
    Options
    I've been using lots of Mrs Dash Low Sodium herbs and McCorrmick's spice packets. Adding lots and lots of flavor. The family (not on a diet) are enjoying it too. Husband has even put DOWN the salt shaker.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Thai dishes have strong flavors and are fantastic since it's mostly veggies.
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Vegemite or Marmite. Add a dab to your toast (I put more because I love the taste). I usually feel really satisfied.

Peanut butter to your ramen, noodles.

Caramelized onions (you can speed up the cooking time by microwaving cut onions for several minutes then sauteing them).

Balsamic or cider vinegar.

I also second the Sriracha, and also recommend the Sambal (chili garlic paste).

Dijon mustard.

BBQ sauce.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use feta cheese, it's the bomb. I also use allot of some ground/spicy mustard, dill, tapitio hot sauce, cilantro, craisins (cranberry raisins), depending on what I'm eating.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I have a bit of a garam masala fetish, I use it like pepper on food. The blend of spices do not have to be cooked like in curries although when cooked garam masala has a less raw flavour, turning more aromatic.

Chilli Flakes I use as is also.

Then a squeeze of lemon or lime juice with a fine grating of the skin, always lifts a bland food.

Staple of mine is making bean dips or chick pea dips, bland beans with anything I like added to make the flavour punch. Did humus with peanut butter and tahini with pitted balck olives and lots of garlic and lemon the other day. Lots of flavour and minutes to make in a food processor.

Really great item is fenugreek leaf (methi) dried or fresh. I use this when poaching chicken or other white meats and fish.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: sriracha. Adds strong flavor to everything. I second the kimchi suggestion too, but your co-workers may not appreciate the pungency of it (garlic, lots of it adn more).

This. I put Sriracha on everything.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I add fresh figs for sweetness and texture!!
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Vodka.. Oh wait can we add that to food??.. :laugh: