C25K

Options
I'm new to the site (yesterday), but I've seen references to C25K here and on the WW site. Could someone fill me in or tell me where I can get the information to do this?
Thanks in advance.

I also need to add some friends to assist me in this journey and keep me motivated! :happy: Please consider friending me...

Replies

• insidemelookingout
    Options
    It is an 8 week program that helps you condition yourself towards running a 5K. I used an app called Run5k for iphone.

I was never a runner nor could I run prior to this app. So it is exactly as stated couch to 5k. It is great! If you have a smart phone this is a wonderful investment.
  • moeish
    moeish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do have an iphone, will have to look for the app...thanks for the heads up!
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I kept seeing references to it and as I do not have a smartphone for the apps I just googled couch to 5k and coolrunning.com came up. It has a complete breakdown of each weeks workouts there are three per week. so before I head out I check to see what I have to do. I am in week 2 so its still fairly easy to remember. I will have to make a note in future weeks I think. I take a stopwatch and use timed method not distance. I am not on a track or treadmill so time is easier. good luck and feel free to add me if you like.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    You're welcome. It really was helpful. I was up and running sooner than 8 weeks. It is super easy. It lets you know when to run. So it is basically run/walk intervals. Before you know it you will be running like a champ!

Good luck!
  • MrsTynerific
    Options
    I just started it this morning. I got the iphone app called C25K Free and it is great:) You listen to your own music and it tells you when to Walk and run. I have about 20 pounds to lose so I am hoping this will get me headed in the right direction.
  • moeish
    Options
    I downloaded the app, just wondering if I should wait to be down more pounsd before I start this?:ohwell:
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    I was 320lbs when I started running, if you are heavy then keep an awareness of you joints etc, and form..and dont push if your bones and joints are telling you no. listen to what your body is telling you at any given time and you should be ok.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I was 320lbs when I started running, if you are heavy then keep an awareness of you joints etc, and form..and dont push if your bones and joints are telling you no. listen to what your body is telling you at any given time and you should be ok.
    I agree with this excellent advice.
    I'd also add that if you are currently totally sedentary, you'd benefit from "warming up" to the program by building up to 30+ minutes of walking most days and then transition to week 1 of the C25K.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Everything good you've read about this program is true and then some. A lady posted the other day with pics under success stories - search under "I feel like a superhero" That's all I can remember of the title, but it was so inspirational. She was in the 300's when she started and has the best attitude.

The best thing for me with this program was the feeling of accomplishment and pride each time I moved up a level and after my first "real" 5k race.

One last thought....most everybody has to do a level for an extra week or two somewhere along the way...that doesn't mean your failing, it means your smart for recognizing what's right for you.

Best of Luck!
  • mommybambi
    mommybambi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am in week 4 of C25K and I started around 215 lbs. I think it is important to just pace yourself. I may not be the fastest runner but I am running. More speed will come with time. As long as you do not have any medical conditions that prevent you from running, go for it!!
  • mommybambi
    mommybambi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with this excellent advice.
    I'd also add that if you are currently totally sedentary, you'd benefit from "warming up" to the program by building up to 30+ minutes of walking most days and then transition to week 1 of the C25K.

I wanted to add that I did walk for several months before starting the C25K and even though I didn't do this purposely to prepare for the C25K, I think it helped. I wanted to step up the exercise and decided the c25K would be a good way to do it.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just started C25k day1 today! I have started it many times but running my first 5 K by 1st week of Nov is my b-day present to myself. I know it sounds silly..but I thought what better gift..?
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    I also want to try doing C25K, but I'm thinking about waiting until I'm a bit closer to my goal weight before I start running.

Does anyone know if there's an app for androids?

-
    Also, forgot to say: welcome moeish! I'm friending you. :D
  • TashiaInKC
    Options
    Yes there is an app for Androids! Just search C25K and you'll find it. =D But if you aren't running now...I would start walking at least. But running really helps with weight loss. I did C25K before but stopped at week 5 (for lack of motivation). I think I'm going to start this program again though.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm an almost graduate of C25K(set to graduate Sunday!) and it is an awesome program.

I went from barely running 6 minute intervals, to running 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks.

My suggestion are to go super slow(esp if you are running outside!) and get good shoes!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be my final day of week 6 (I will actually be running in a 5K). I use the C25k app for the Iphone and I love it. You can turn on your music and it will still tell you when to start/stop. It even encourages you! I NEVER thought I would be able to do it, but it's been great!
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can repeat weeks. The training program is 8 or 9 weeks (depending on the program you choose), but most of them encourage you to repeat weeks if you feel like you need to. Go at you own pace, listen to your body, and be very proud of yourself for ANY effort you put toward it.

One poster out here called what she did 'wogging' since it was something between a jog and a walk. No shame in that. I wogged the first few weeks.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I love C25K and had never paced myself right before, now I can do what I never would have imagined when I started it almost 7 weeks ago. For all of you who are wondering if you're not small enough yet, check out this post they have on coolrunning.com's board called "C25K so you think your to heavy to run? Read this." : http://community.active.com/thread/249274
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started by walking first - for about a month, until I could walk 4-5 miles daily. When I officially began C25K, was in roughly the 230's. That work up front helped - most (not all) of my challenges have been breathing and stamina related - but this program is great to help you build up as well as learn to pace yourself. I'm in week 7 now, and adding enough walking to the end that I am exercising a full 5k 3 times a week. Like many others was never EVER a runner.

I used an app called joglog for the interval voice prompts on iphone so I didn't have to watch a timer. now, for the longer ones I've stopped that.

You can totally do it. Just listen to the feedback from your body, and like someone else said - it's ok to repeat weeks or change it to suit your individual needs.

There is also a c25k group on here, with a pretty active set of members and some good tips and advice. It is a great way to find others starting at about the same time as you.

Good luck!

KP
  • moeish
    Options
    OK, so here's the really big problem to me...I'm too self conscious to run in public.
    If my street wasn't currently torn up due to construction, I could walk/run after dark. Otherwise I'm at a loss, even though I belong to the local YMCA.

:embarassed: