I'm eating too much Protein?

Options
Tracking for last two days and noticed that I'm eating too much protein? I love my greek yogurt - which packs a whooping 23 grams of protein - but then it does not leave me for much for dinner or lunch. But I feel I have to eat some kind of meat (chicken, turkey) for dinner. My fat allottment is right on and so are the calories - could this be why I'm not losing weight? I've been at the same weight (1or 2 lbs) for 6 months!

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    MFP's guidelines for protein are pretty low (as many others will chime in here I'm sure).

I shoot for 100grams per day.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard, most people don't eat enough protein. Over 100g a day is what some people shoot for (including myself) so I don't think it's a problem. But I'm no expert!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on protein. I think MFP sets protein rather low, so I do not worry about it.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    Protein is great!! Your body needs alot of it....don't cut out or reduce your protein..I always aim for more..everyday, a little more than the day before
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Protein is good, you are not eating too much. The protein levels on MFP are set too low.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    According to MFP my protein intake is high also - how're your carbs?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I agree; I would say eat at least 60-80 gms, more if you exercise a lot! Protein is so good for you!
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 1g of protein per lb of my body weight. MFP is way too low.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    i would not worry about going over on protein, i eat 250 grams per day
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can change your ratios to 40-30-30 - it's pre-set for you to get 55% from carbs which is definitely too much.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like 30 grams per meal as my goal.

Just reset your macros in your settings. (My Home, Goals, Settings) I aim for 40/40/20 or 40/30/30 (Carbs, Protein, Fats)
  • jejo03
    jejo03 Posts: 5
    Options
    my carbs are okay - I don't seem to go over on those. :smile:
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I always look at the protein MFP shows as a minimum rather than a maximum.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    MPF is too low, I shoot for 100g a day.
  • jejo03
    jejo03 Posts: 5
    Options
    Okay, thanks for all the responses - I will not worry about it then. I'm a meat eater - I would hate to become a veggie only dieter.:ohwell:
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Your food and exercise diary is currently private. Hard for us to say. MFP sets protien too low for active people. Most say you need 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass per day. But if your calories are right on and your fats are right on but your proteins are coming up over then you must be short on carbs. We need to take a peek at your diary to be able to give you any further advice. You can make it public in your settings. It would be better if you are short on fat, over on proteins and good on carbs. But yes, MFP proteins are too low so you are probably ok on that.
  • Aimlin
    Aimlin Posts: 6
    Options
    I was wondering about that too and looked around on the internet.
    apparently, the recommended intake of protein is 0.8g per kilogram of body mass, given that the energy the body needs is otherwise given.
    MFP settings are lower than that.

Also, on MFP, given that we usually go for a calorie deficit, i'd say it's better to be over in protein if you stay within your calorie intake... Don't worry about that
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about that too and looked around on the internet.
    apparently, the recommended intake of protein is 0.8g per kilogram of body mass, given that the energy the body needs is otherwise given.
    MFP settings are lower than that.

Also, on MFP, given that we usually go for a calorie deficit, i'd say it's better to be over in protein if you stay within your calorie intake... Don't worry about that

And that should be seen as a minimum for someone that is sedentary, if you workout at all you should be getting about double that.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    extra protein will never hurt! :bigsmile:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    cut back unless you wanna get all bulky and muscular lolz