garlic pepper seasoning
    cajun seasoning
    lemon pepper
    banana peppers
    Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Vegemite or Marmite. Add a dab to your toast (I put more because I love the taste). I usually feel really satisfied.

I tried this when I visited NZ, needless to say, I'm glad it's not found on our shelves in the US lol
  • tippity
    tippity Posts: 3
    Options
    definitely cilantro - I add it to salads to kick up the taste
    dijon mustard as well
    cayenne pepper
    dill
    ginger
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I put garlic in nearly EVERYTHING I cook (possibly this is why I'm still single :smokin: ). Anything that can't get garlic gets mustard.

I also sometimes sprinkle sumac on things, it's nice and lemony.
  • minty16
    minty16 Posts: 3
    Options
    Very low calorie curry sauce. Saute an onion in water to soften along with a couple of garlic cloves sliced and an inch of fresh ginger grated. Once these have softened sprinkle with curry powder to taste and cook off the spice with the onion mix. After a couple of minutes add passata and a teaspoon of splenda. Once onions are completely soften place in a blender, season to taste and blend for a couple of minutes. This gives a smooth tasty curry sauce to use with vegetables and meat.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Dave's Insanity Sauce is super, super hot! One little droplet will set your mouth on fire.

Try some Creole and Cajun dishes, if you like celery, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and hotter spices (which can be adjusted up or down). They can be quite healthy, especially the tomato based recipes, and adapt especially well to seafood or chicken. :drinker: I love Shrimp Creole.

edit: added vegetables.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    more spices! on everything!

my faves: cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, variety of chil powders (cayenne, ancho, etc), basil (fresh is SO GOOD), rosemary, sage...

...and of course hot sauces and salt but I am trying to learn moderation on that front!!!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Thai dishes have strong flavors and are fantastic since it's mostly veggies.

Mmmmm.....Curry!!
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Capers add a strong olive type taste to things.
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Vegemite or Marmite. Add a dab to your toast (I put more because I love the taste). I usually feel really satisfied.

I tried this when I visited NZ, needless to say, I'm glad it's not found on our shelves in the US lol

:) Actually Marmite is pretty easy to find -- in the British section of most supermarkets.

I get Vegemite sent over to me by my fiance. He's so lucky to have me ;)
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Dice up some kolrabi to add to a salad
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions everyone! It's great seeing the various ideas. Thanks again!
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    horseradish
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    horseradish alittle dab ul do yah
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love Chipotle, I put it in most of my sauces, it adds a nice sweet kick to things.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Oh. Oh, no. Don't do that.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I put hot peppers in just about everything I cook.
    Cilantro is a nice kick to a lot of things. (Also cumin)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Adobo!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I like spicy foods, that's always good. And it's easy to add spice to beans, which are cheap, easy, high in protein and fiber, and relatively low cal.

I'm like you...I love strong flavors. Cilantro, green onions, any herbs like basil and rosemary (we bake potatoes with olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh rosemary rubbed on the skin), cumin, and this new powder I found in the hispanic section called chilosito (spicy with citrus...delicious on roasted corn).
  • chubba10000
    Options
    Miso paste. Gives a sort of savory/meaty flavor even to purely vegetable dishes. I've been mixing it into a lot of dishes lately since I've been trying to eat more vegetarian. Start with mild red miso, go from there.

Indian/Pakistani pickle. These are nothing like a cucumber pickle, or European pickled anything. They're really spicy/sweet/sour relishes that you need very little of to seriously up the flavor of plain foods like rice and beans. There are dozens of varieties with lots of regional variations, but I like the ones called "mixed pickle" or "lime pickle" the most. There's a little bit of fat in them so it's not quite a sriracha/sambal olek free flavor bash, but a tiny bit goes a long way.