Muscle weighs more than fat?

Options
Ok - so I have been working out and eating healthy for a month or so. That's not to say I haven't strayed, as we all do sometimes, but I feel like when faced with the choice of candy vs. no candy - I have always (past month) chosen no candy.
I have lost 12 lbs, most of which came off in the first week when I was on a strict diet that I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain. I changed a few things and I feel like I am eating what I need to now to be healthy.
I do total body weight training (12 reps to exhaustion and 2 sets) twice a week and cardio three times a week. I do abs separately twice a week.
Finally, my question - does muscle cause you to gain weight initally? I know that muscle weighs more than fat but it also burns more calories than fat does. So therefore, if I am adding muscle shouldn't I be losing more fat?
Any ideas?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No, initially your muscles are retaining water while going through the work of repair. You won't see weight gain or weight loss slow/hampered by muscle gain within a month. Maybe after a year of working out, but since you just started, it will take a while.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Ok - so I have been working out and eating healthy for a month or so. That's not to say I haven't strayed, as we all do sometimes, but I feel like when faced with the choice of candy vs. no candy - I have always (past month) chosen no candy.
    I have lost 12 lbs, most of which came off in the first week when I was on a strict diet that I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain. I changed a few things and I feel like I am eating what I need to now to be healthy.
    I do total body weight training (12 reps to exhaustion and 2 sets) twice a week and cardio three times a week. I do abs separately twice a week.
    Finally, my question - does muscle cause you to gain weight initally? I know that muscle weighs more than fat but it also burns more calories than fat does. So therefore, if I am adding muscle shouldn't I be losing more fat?
    Any ideas?

If you are adding muscle you will be losing more fat but since like you said fat weighs LESS than muscle the loss of fat will not necessarily means lose of weight. I wouldn't focus on the scale too much if I were you. In the beginning you may see a plateau or even slight gains. For women especially weight fluctuates a lot. Water intake and rentention as well as changing your body composition will have varying effects on the number on the scale. Just keep up what you are doing, it seems to be working for you and be patient with the process!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    first, muscle does not weigh more than fat. a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. muscle is more dense than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat.

second, it takes a long time to add a pound of muscle....and, if you are eating at any sort of deficit, its difficult to add muscle. I would also suggest that your workout routine sounds like a good one...but its not one conducive to adding muscle.

third, whenever you do resistance training, your muscles hold onto water to repair themselves. as a result, your "scale weight" may be artificially high depending on water retention issues.

fourth, while muscle burns more than fat does, its not as amazing as folks used to believe. I think a pound of muscle burns about 6 calories an hour while a pound of fat burns about 2 calories per hour...or something like that. burning fat mostly comes from the kitchen...your nutrition plan.

saying all of this, I don't want you to think there aren't benefits from exercising...there are...first, you tighten up your body as you lose weight (this is good so you don't end up with that "skinny fat" look)....second, you improve your cardio health which is super good for things like heart health....third, the chance of illness is reduced....fourth, ... (well, there are articles on this to tell you all the good things, but I just wanted to list some of them for you). Just understand that burning fat mostly comes from consuming less calories than your body uses.
  • bubbie520334
    Options
    Thank you! I understand a little better... The problem I have with my diet is not eating enough calories. I find at night I have to eat a serving or two of almonds just to up my calories. I weigh 269 now. I am shooting for 500 less than what I burn which I believe is 1900 or so plus what I burn when working out which runs from 275 (ab days) to over 700 on cardio days. I use a heart rate monitor to track my target zone.
    Anyway, I will just keep doing what I am doing for now. It's hard not to get discouraged sometimes. And the fact that most of my dresses are not fitted, I cannot tell if my clothes are getting bigger. I should have had someone measure me.
    Thanks for helping me out!! :)
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    5 pounds of bricks weigh more than 5 pounds of feathers!
  • mommakathy6
    mommakathy6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Eating right, exercising but not reflecting on the scale. Don't be discouraged, that is the key. Keep going and the scale will catch up!!!