Thighs

Options
I'm really happy today because I got up early and went for a power walk for half an hour and then got home and danced really hard for 20 minutes.

I'm upset though because even my bmi says I'm in weight range but my thighs are still EXACTLY the same as before I lost ten kilos, to the centimetre. I can't shift the fat, no matter what i do, eat, think, exercise I just can't shift my thigh fat. One of my friend's has suggested talking to my doctor about healthcare funded lipo? Is there just a thing? I was born with fat thighs, no joke.

I'm a US 6 EVERYWHERE except my thighs which are a US size12. This isn't fair! Please any suggestions on what I should do? Or foods that may be making my thighs fat?!? (stupid i know but salt makes your ankles swell so maybe something makes your thighs?!??!)

Thank you everyone

Replies

• missyammerman
    Options
    I wish I knew what to say that could help you out. But, I did want to let you know that you are not the only person out there with this problem. My thighs are HUGE.....I can't seem to do anything to make them smaller. I joke that I wish the bone could be shaved down so that I wouldn't look so big from below my waist. I always feel like I look so "different" from everyone else....no matter what their size is.

If you find out anything interesting let me know....I'm curious as well!
  • RhondieJFB
    Options
    I too have large thighs. I am a size 8 on top and a 12 on my bottom. I'm hoping someone will give a tip here that I can use too. What is important to me though is being toned. So I keep my negative thoughts at bay and just try to stay toned. There isn't anything wrong with our size and shape, just what we tell ourselves about it. What do you love about your thighs? Maybe you have really thick soft skin? Maybe your legs are very toned? In the mean time ask a fitness instructor at your gym how you can slim them up.
  • carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Same story goes here. Good news is that I just saw a report that the fat in your thighs can actually keep you healthy and reduce your risk of heart attack/stroke. Bad news the fat in your thighs might be there to stay. I'm not a complete believer that it will stay because I've lost over an inch in each of my thighs in 7 weeks. After doing a lot of reading I found that you can't really tone your body with weight lifting in the low weight high reps theory because you will only increase the endurance of you muscles. Also the way to burn muscle if you have large muscles is long durations of the same cardio like many miles on the treadmill hence the skinny marathon runners. Lastly with the weight lifting you can burn more fat around your thighs by doing leg presses/lunges/ ab/aductors with resistance bands or weight machines and using higher weight and lower reps to really work the muscles. My plan is to do cardio and weight lifting to burn the fat and then if I have lots of muscle I'm going to run longer distances to decrease the muscle. I ordered P90X and hope the circuit training with muscle confusion will do the trick as well.

It's been a battle for many years and I'm determined to win. After losing over an inch in my thighs and an inch in each of my calves I'm convinced it's possible. Goodluck and I too hope someone will have more in put.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Everyone is different therefore we all carry fat differently. You might could try strength training and do more to target the legs. Lunges, Squats, Presses ect. As for healthcare funded lipo? I have never heard of such a thing. Because it is strictly elective and having large thighs is probably not life threatening I don't see it being possible. However stranger things have happened.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The thing to know about body fat is, you can't decide how it comes off your body, fat is taken from the body in a very complex complicated equation that has to do with where it is, how old it is, how much you have, how fast your body breaks down fat store.

Basically the only thing you can do is continue to work hard, make sure you include anaerobic work into your weekly exercise, and know that eventually, if you work hard, it will come off.

One thing you can be certain of is IT WILL COME OFF, it may not come off how you hoped or envisioned, but it will.

Remember this, anaerobic activity (HIIT training, weight training...etc) is a big help, not only because muscle burns fat, but because certain hormones released by anaerobic work are catalysts for the break down of fatty acid chains in body fat and can actually help increase fat burn.

Remember, knowledge, patience and willpower are your three biggest allies in this little war.

good luck.

-Banks
  • stella_star
    Options
    It took a long time before I began to see any difference in mine but it did happen! You can't spot reduce fat though so while doing extra leg work will help build muscle it's not really going to help shift that specific bit of fat. Are your thighs big because of fat or muscle? Mine have a fair amount of both so shifting the fat wont leave me with skinny thighs, but at least they will look better.
  • jakstamp
    Options
    I'm really happy today because I got up early and went for a power walk for half an hour and then got home and danced really hard for 20 minutes.

I'm upset though because even my bmi says I'm in weight range but my thighs are still EXACTLY the same as before I lost ten kilos, to the centimetre. I can't shift the fat, no matter what i do, eat, think, exercise I just can't shift my thigh fat. One of my friend's has suggested talking to my doctor about healthcare funded lipo? Is there just a thing? I was born with fat thighs, no joke.

I'm a US 6 EVERYWHERE except my thighs which are a US size12. This isn't fair! Please any suggestions on what I should do? Or foods that may be making my thighs fat?!? (stupid i know but salt makes your ankles swell so maybe something makes your thighs?!??!)

Thank you everyone

You are not alone! LOL. I too have a complete pear shape and often take a small in shirts and a large in pants ....ugggg. While this can be a very frustrating shape to change, I try and remind myself that it is better to have the fat on my legs than on my stomach as a big waist puts you at risk for many serious health problems. Right now my thighs are HUGE and I am going on holidays in about 7 weeks so I am freaking out! I plan to do some serious running as this is the only activity in the past that has significantly helped out the size of my legs. I have worked with a trainer for long periods in the past and strength training definitley toned up my legs but without the cardio I think they would still have looked big. I guess everyone is a little bit different so you might just have to try a few different routines and figure out what works best for you though. Good luck!