Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hello all!

Just curious if any of you have heart rate/calorie burn count monitors?

I have recently purchased a Gaiam Oregon Scientific off of Amazon. I am fairly certain the count is off. It was fairly inexpensive as I was trying to determine if it would be beneficial to use during my group workout and even my walks/runs. (this does include a chest strap)

I figure the count is off about 60% which seems to be very significant!

Any brand recommendations that are fairly reliable and not too hard on the wallet would be most helpful!

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump for looking for answers, too!
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    sorry i can't be of help but i have the same question! I have it narrowed down between the Suunto M2 or the Polar FT4 ( I am looking for something pretty simple but accurate). Help is appreciated!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

How did you determine that?

Anything from Polar, Garmin or Suunto will be good - just find the one with the features you want or the price you want.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Polar or Garmin depending on your needs ....... Buy once no point in buying a crappy one and having to get another later. TRUE STORY
  • peasgarden
    peasgarden Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it. From what I have read, you can't go wrong with a Polar :)
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If you search on here either heart rate monitor, Polar, Garmin or something along those lines you'll get a ton of posts saying why people think X is better over Z.

I myself have a Timex IronMan-why did I get it over a Polar or Garmin (which is what I'll get once I get to my goal weight)? 2 people I work with had them so I was able to see them and check them out in person and it was on sale at EMS so again, I could see it and hold it since it was my first HRM I've ever bought. Would I buy it again? Yes, it's working well and I love it. But to each their own-I know people who swear by Polar and Garmin-if you search google Polar vs. Garmin or even rate HRM you'll get a ton of useful articles that helped me in figuring out what I wanted
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    heartratemonitorsusa.com they offer free shipping, and super cheap 2 day shipping.

I got the Polar FT40, and I adore it!
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I got my Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com for under $60--free shipping. Use coupon code POPO for even more savings!!! :-)

I LOVE it. I've never had ANY problems out of it.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and absolutely love it!! It is perfect for my needs (I don't need a GPS; I do kick boxing and an at-home weight lifting program) and is extremely simple to use (even I figured it out! :laugh: ). Happy training!:drinker:
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 110. I got it because I run and use it for pace time and distance, but I also wear it at my Bootcamp training for calorie burn and watching my heart rate. It's the lesser expensive of the Forerunner models, but I like it because it's simple, smaller and uses actual buttons rather than the touch screen buttons. I had the higher model and returned it, it had too many functions that I just didn't need too. I think your choice just depends on what your going to use it for. Good luck!
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've got an FT4 and its pretty simple and accurate. I am totally useless at anything remotely digital/ computerised/ chipped/ and I even I can understand it.
    I have health issues so need to keep my heart rate under tight control and the ft4 does that. Its also accurate with calories burned provided you input accurate personal info in the first place. The calories it shows, however is the total calories burned between two points of time. So this includes the basal calories that you would burn by just staying in bed and doing nothing. But then, it seems that mfp doesn't worry about the split so no probs. there.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options

How did you determine that?

Anything from Polar, Garmin or Suunto will be good - just find the one with the features you want or the price you want.

I read some other reviews about the count being off. I also calculated based on my Nike + calorie burn vs. the heart rate monitor. It seems like about 60%. I don't think you will ever get an exact calculation but 60% seems like a ton to me. Also I did a comparison of another person's readings with another brand vs. mine. We are about the same weight, height and activity level. It was a dramatic difference.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    If you search on here either heart rate monitor, Polar, Garmin or something along those lines you'll get a ton of posts saying why people think X is better over Z.

I myself have a Timex IronMan-why did I get it over a Polar or Garmin (which is what I'll get once I get to my goal weight)? 2 people I work with had them so I was able to see them and check them out in person and it was on sale at EMS so again, I could see it and hold it since it was my first HRM I've ever bought. Would I buy it again? Yes, it's working well and I love it. But to each their own-I know people who swear by Polar and Garmin-if you search google Polar vs. Garmin or even rate HRM you'll get a ton of useful articles that helped me in figuring out what I wanted

Thank You! I know Garmin's and Polar's are really popular but wanted other options. I will look at the Timex. I have a friend who owns one.
  • blesdchile
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. Before it, I had a Polar FS6. Great tool and easy to use.