Pain and Stiffness, work through it? Or rest?

Options
So my Mixed Martial Arts Fitness instructor recommended I try and do 20 minutes a day of pushups, situps, and other torturous things that we do in our MMAF class. Monday and Tuesday night were class, Wednesday I did 15 minutes at home, and now it's Thursday and my shoulders and abs are so sore.
I told myself that I wanted to do at least 20 minutes, 5 days a week (at the beginning, if I can only do 15minutes, that's ok, it's better than nothing), and then take 2 days off.
So, do I push through the stiffness and sore muscles? Or do I take a rest?
I know that sore muscles= micro tears=holding water, so I know that the scale isn't accurate right now, and I would like it to be accurate for weigh in on Sunday or Monday (I am flexible).

What do you think? Push on for today and tomorrow, then rest? Or?

Replies

• StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Or do I push on, do this every day, and not worry about the water weight in my muscles for now?

AHHH!! Too much to consider! lol
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Typically you don't need or have to have a lot of recovery days for bodyweight stuff like that and at least have a day or so a week where you don't excercise.

I say push through it.
  • StormyGal8
    Options
    Typically you don't need or have to have a lot of recovery days for bodyweight stuff like that and at least have a day or so a week where you don't excercise.

I say push through it.

Yeah, that's sort of what i was thinking too...I wish I wasn't...Those first few sit ups and push ups are going to HURT lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Injured? Rest, mobility

Sore? DO IT.
  • StormyGal8
    Options
    Injured? Rest, mobility

Sore? DO IT.

Not injured, just sore!
    Not looking for excuses, just for the best advice :)

While I am not thrilled to be doing more torture...erm I mean "working out", I am thrilled by the changes I see in my body from gaining strength, and by the 2 clothing sizes I have dropped in only 22lbs lost, so I will persevere.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's just muscle soreness and not an injury, I say stretch and hit it!
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Push through it... Make sure u'r upping ur protein... try some chocolate milk after for muscle recovery.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Soreness and no injury, I agree with pushing through. However, perhaps stretching first and then a nice warm soak afterwards to alleviate some of the stiffness. If you cannot maintain correct form because of the soreness, you risk injury as well, so push through safely! Congrats on the two clothing sizes!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I find pushing through soreness I actually recover quicker and feel better for having done it.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    R u stretching a head of time? If not ur want to stretch prior to just getting into it.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I agree with pushing through, but bear in mind that muscle building happens during rest, not during exercise. The reason you're sore is because you need to damage your muscles at the micro level in order for them to build more muscle fiber. If you keep damaging the fibers, they don't get a chance to grow. So build in some rest days to let the muscle growth happen and you should be fine.

The crux is, you can push through if it's just soreness and not injury, but even when you're not injured rest is necessary to meet your strength training goals.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just warm up and push through it. You won't even feel it while you work out.
  • StormyGal8
    Options
    R u stretching a head of time? If not ur want to stretch prior to just getting into it.

Yes I am stretching before hand! All the same stretches we do in our MMAF class. That being said, I do think I forgot to bulk up my protein yesterday after my work out, which may be why I am more sore today. I am sorer today than the day after my 1.5 hour MMA classes, so I must have done something wrong.

I suspect not enough protein and maybe not enough water (just over 2 litres yesterday in total...MMAF days are usually 3 litres at minimum).
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My Advice: Push through it. If its a new thing for you then your going to be sore. After doing this repeatedly for awhile you will adjust!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Injured? Rest, mobility

Sore? DO IT.

This. Exercising actually makes me feel better when I'm sore. Injured is another story though. If you're jut sore, push your body to adapt - it will. You know whether or not you're actually hurt.
  • moopity
    moopity Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When your body hurts, listen to it! Take an active recovery day -- go for a twenty minute walk and allow the sore parts to rest.

When you push through soreness, usually technique is compromised. It sounds like you are just starting out, so take it easy! How terrible would you feel if you developed a strain from pushing too hard?

Also, taking A SINGLE DAY to rest -- and you can still be active, just let the sore parts rest from straining activity -- this will not stall your over all progress. If anything, it can make you stronger the next day.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just warm up and push through it. You won't even feel it while you work out.

This^^

Do something to really warm up though - like jumping jacks or a short jog. And be sure to cool down and stretch afterward.
  • threedeakgifts
    Options
    I've found success with combating soreness by drinking a lot of water in the hour before I work out and also right after. I also apply ice to the muscles off an on for a 1/2 hour or so after exercising. I do this mainly for my legs and the next morning I'm not sore.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would do push ups 3 times a week, that will give your muscles the time they need to repair themselves. Monday Wednesday and Friday works good. Have a look at the 100 push up challenge. That's the format they follow. http://hundredpushups.com/ :smile: Good luck with your goals.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I suspect not enough protein and maybe not enough water (just over 2 litres yesterday in total...MMAF days are usually 3 litres at minimum).

Stick with the three litres of water as a good operating minimum for any day you are trying to build muscle. As long as you are eating properly, it's nearly impossible to drink too much water (and three litres ain't even CLOSE!), and it's very easy not to drink enough.

Warm up, stretch, exercise, stretch, cool down. I find that, for myself, a stretch AFTER exercise is far more beneficial than a stretch BEFORE. But both is even better.