Birth Control

Options
I know when I began birth control 5 years ago, I immediately gained 20 lbs.
Great side effect huh?

Just went off of it this week...we decided to let nature runs it's course :happy:

Just wondering for others that have done this...does the weight come off easily as it went on with the medication?

Replies

• mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump!

i take birth control continuously to avoid that pesky period because mine was super painful and heavy, but im not really aware if i gained weight specifically from the pill because it was in college when my weight was fluctuating anyways.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    i take birth control continuously to avoid that pesky period because mine was super painful and heavy

Uuummm. Is this not quite dangerous? and unnatural? I hope you are doing this on a Doctor's advice.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    i take birth control continuously to avoid that pesky period because mine was super painful and heavy

Uuummm. Is this not quite dangerous? and unnatural? I hope you are doing this on a Doctor's advice.

Doctor's hand out BC all the time for women with heavy periods.... it's completely safe. They also hand it out for other things such as acne...
  • KLovesTy
    KLovesTy Posts: 37
    Options
    I have never experienced this, but I avoid the typical "gainer" birth controls. I have taken yasmin on/off between kids for over 7 years and had no issues with weight gain or weight loss.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i wish i could take birth control!!!! i have a blood disorder where if i take birth control, i could have a stroke.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was on BCP for over 10 years, with breaks for two pregnancies. I have been off permanently for a year and a half and have never noticed any difference with weight gain or loss.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I mean to take it continuously to stop your periods altogether?
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

...since BC is prescribed by an MD, how could she not be? :o
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

There are certain BC's that stop periods all together. Others just lighten it up.

I don't know that she meant "I take them every hour" when she said continuously. I think she just meant on a regular basis in order to help out her heavy periods.
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    bump!

i take birth control continuously to avoid that pesky period because mine was super painful and heavy, but im not really aware if i gained weight specifically from the pill because it was in college when my weight was fluctuating anyways.

Using BC to skip a period can be done, but should not be done continuously. I've skipped a period more than once, usually because it was not convenient (vacations etc) but never more than once in a row. I had the heavy flows and the pain, but as long as I am on the BC my flow is not heavy anymore (usually barely two-three days of light bleeding) and the pain is manageable with regular over the counter painmeds during the night.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I always thought that going off birth control would help me lose weight. WRONG!!! Most women don't lose more than like 5 lbs (if that), and when I go off birth control, I get pregnant. I would much rather have a 5 lb (or even a 20 lb) weight gain than a 60-70 lb weight gain, which is what happens when I get pregnant. :tongue:
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options

No, in healthy menstruating individuals/people with some menstruation issues (PCOS, etc)/ almost every person who would normally menstruateit is not at all dangerous. Your body doesn't build up the lining, so it doesn't shed it. That's natural too, happens to you when you're pregnant. You don't build up lining, you don't shed it.

I have an IUD and I didn't have a period at all for 2 years. Now I get a few days of super light spotting once every month or two. Everything is fine in Vaginaland for me and my multitude of friends who also skip periods.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight when I went on BC.

I am pretty happy with Alesse. My skin is always clear & acne free, no menstrual cramps and TOM lasts only 2days.
  • nayers86
    nayers86 Posts: 60
    Options
    When I stopped taking birth control the weight came off, but not immediately. It still takes work to lose the weight. Also, if you ever wanted to take birth control without the risk of weight gain, Nuva Ring is wonderful. I've been consistently losing weight even while being on it for 6+ months.
  • ilikepandasyay
    Options
    i wish i could take birth control!!!! i have a blood disorder where if i take birth control, i could have a stroke.

Have you looked in to IUD's? Some have 0 hormones.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it usually is harder to lose than it was to gain. Super unfair :/
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Yup, perfectly healthy. The idea that we "need" a period is a complete myth -- "periods" on birth control are actually just withdrawal symptoms.
  • ilikepandasyay
    Options
    bump!

Using BC to skip a period can be done, but should not be done continuously. I've skipped a period more than once, usually because it was not convenient (vacations etc) but never more than once in a row. I had the heavy flows and the pain, but as long as I am on the BC my flow is not heavy anymore (usually barely two-three days of light bleeding) and the pain is manageable with regular over the counter painmeds during the night.

Medical consensus is that in most people it's fine to skip periods continuously. (each person is different and if your md says you shouldn't then there is a reason)
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Everytime that I have started birth control I have gained 30 lbs. All I would do was eat because I was always hungry. I stopped my Birth control around March and I can tell a huge difference in my carvings and hunger levels! I do not eat nearly has much. You still have to work at watching what you eat and exercise to get the weight off, but it is not nearly as hard as it was when I had all the cravings!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When I first started about 15 years ago they put me on the highest level estrogen and the same thing happened and my moods went crazy. I just didn't need that much. Nuvaring did the same thing. I've been on Loestrin for the last 5+ years at least and been fine. Not every BC works for everybody.