Loosing my patience.

Options
ramonasowner
ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
So at my gym there is a young man that has been staring at me for quite sometime now. About a month ago he introduced himself and then proceeded to never leave me alone that entire hour. It became clear he was interested in me or just plain scary. I never offered any flirts back, I was just trying to be polite but he wouldn't stop talking, in fact I went to get my 3 year old out of the daycare to take him to the bathroom hoping that he would go away.
Every time we are at the gym he follows me. He has not started another conversation because I change machines if he gets close to me. It bothers me enough I have told the owner of the gym. I know its a public place and whatever but It's a massive dose of creepy.
Next time he does it I have decided i need to say something to him because it's starting to affect my enjoyment of a place I pay money to attend. What should I say? I am not an in your face kinda girl....

Replies

• Onmynewadventure
    Options
    My advice... Start up a conversation with him. A simple, " Hey, how are you " will be enough to scare them off.

I would also talk to the management again
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,050 Member
    Options
    In this case, you need to be assertive...something you could have done on day one, and maybe he would have moved on.

A simple, "Please leave me alone. " Is all it should take. . .:huh:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,050 Member
    Options
    I've also used, "I don't want any company," and, "Look, I"m here to work out, not make friends."
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Loosing my patience.

Tighten it up.
  • ramonasowner
    Options
    Loosing my patience.

Tighten it up.

oh geez i am the worst typist!!!! lol
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I've also used, "I don't want any company," and, "Look, I"m here to work out, not make friends."

^^^^
    a pair of earbuds and an mp3 player also helps. Just don't make eye contact unless you're telling him to go away.
  • ramonasowner
    Options
    mp3 and buds all the time. this dudes creepy.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have to flat out tell him, "look, I'm just trying to get my work out in, and I'm not intoconversation or distractions, can I get a little space?"
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Loosing my patience.

Tighten it up.

:laugh:
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have to flat out tell him, "look, I'm just trying to get my work out in, and I'm not intoconversation or distractions, can I get a little space?"

Tell him you're not interested...
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Tell him you want him to go with you to pick out a wedding dress
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    on an unrelated note- one time i was at gold's gym and in the "dark room" they apparently have the entire side wall mirrored. being so dark, i didn't notice this. soooo- mid sweaty fat girl workout i notice some other fat ***** is looking at me funny! so, i mean mug a little, thinking- WHY ME?! and she responds with nasty looks right back! because it was my reflection. who i almost fought. not really, i'm totally passive, but i would have cried if i didn't realize what was happening, lol so, that's my life;) clearly, i need new glasses!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - Eat massive quantities of gas-inducing foods before going to the gym.

Step 2 - Wait for creeper to approach, then let loose!
  • wedge421
    wedge421 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wear a ring on your left ring finger and just flash it to him. That'll do the trick :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Tell him to leave you alone. If he persists, report him to the gym manager. Nobody should have to put up with that. His behavior is borderline stalking.
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    "With all due respect, I'm here to focus and you're distracting me. I'm sorry, I'm just not looking for chit-chat. It was a pleasure meeting you."

If he's crazy, you don't want to piss him off. If he's normal, he'll understand.
  • bailbondbabs
    Options
    You flat out tell him to GO AWAY. Loudly and assertively. Shame on the gym for not putting a stop to something that made a member uncomfortable.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I think I would ask the gym management for their opinion on what to say/do about it.
    I am sure you are not the first one to experience this kind of attention, and won't be the last one.
    Don't ask just anyone behind the front dest, ask to talk to a manager.
    They care about the environment you work out in, and wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable or discouraged from working out there.

Follow their advice.
    If you don't get results, check back in with them.
    It's their responsibility now!

Best wishes to you!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    cheap taser on line 59.99
    douche bag in fetal position in corner priceless.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well, which approach do you want to take...do you want to be direct but nice or be a ***** or what? I'm always passive aggressive and I'm good at it. I'm only point blank without consideration when a person clearly does not get what I'm trying to say nicely. I'd put my ear buds in, look at a magazine and completely ignore him until he got right in my face or touched me to get my attention. Then I'd acknowledge him and tell him that I am there to work out and listen to me music and decompress and it really isn't a good time to talk to me.

I just had a thought....try THIS! http://youtu.be/8wRXa971Xw0