What are the healthiest, inexpensive foods?

Options
I was thinking about this last night and realized I am one of the lucky ones that can buy enough, of some of the "best" foods because I am single and only have to buy for me. Plus, even single people struggle to have enough money to buy healthy foods.

I am asking for anyone interested, to list some foods that don't cost and arm and a leg, that last(can be frozen/stored)but have at least as many nutrients as a body needs. All of us need to know since many of us are only a paycheck away from poverty or even homelessness. Let's face it, we need a backup plan. Just because we can fill our cupboards with supplements, the best and maybe most expensive of food from the grocery store but what if we can't, or, we suddenly found ourselves scraping for money to buy groceries??

The only cheap foods I can think of that are healthy and provide good nutrition off hand are:

chicken
beans(in a bag you cook yourself without salt)

lets fill this thread up with cheap or at least cheaper, healthy, foods!! Denise:drinker: :drinker:

How to buy and shop hints are totally welcome! Maybe in bulk but how many can afford to do that if they only have a small studio size fridge? Or yeah, the pork might be way cheaper in bulk but it's still 20 bucks you don't have. You get the idea;)

Replies

• moesaid2
    moesaid2 Posts: 67
    Options
    Oatmeal
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    EGGS!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    both great suggestions! What about proteins and good fats, good carbs that we can buy if we are short on grocery money? Also brands that may be better for us but still cheaper to purchase? What about ways to get our fruits and vegies in there? Frozen I hear is only 2nd to fresh in nutrients?

Denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies
    eggs
    brown rice
    boneless skinless chicken breasts - frozen
    whole grain pasta
    whole wheat bagels and pitas
    peanuts
    fresh veggies like celery and baby carrots
    tuna
    beans
    round steak
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Bananas!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    fruit and veggies that are in season
  • boydsterk
    boydsterk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    fruit!

i can go to the store and get a nice pre-cut container of honeydew and canalope for 3 bucks.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think cabbage and carrots are among the cheapest veggies but buying in season helps too
    lentils are among the cheapest legume, especially if you buy in bulk
    I've found millet to be one of the cheapest grains (99 cents in bulk)
    In season fruits are generally cheapest, especially apples
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    GRITS and Eggs!!! Keeps me full all morning
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! I'm a single mom and live paycheck to paycheck and my 4 year old loves to eat her veggies! It's so hard for find cheap healthy foods!! Thanks!! :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sometimes frozen and canned veggies are better than fresh. When fruit sits around it starts to lose nutrients (at least that's what I've been told), but when they freeze it it retains them all. Of course, fresh right out of your garden would probably be even better!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I invested $56 in a garden this year that produced a few hundred dollars worth of vegetable. If grown by seed, cheaper. I was able to provide food for my daughter and her family, my family and my neighbor and that was from an 8x8 raised bed garden. Not all foods have to be store bought.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

She says more than I ever could. =)

ETA: Also, buying grains/beans in the bulk section can keep costs down. Lentils, barley, quinoa, pinto beans... you know. Filling and nutritious.
  • broomnic
    broomnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eggs, porridge, frozen veg, cherry tomatoes, keep em coming :)
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    Thanks for this post ! My kids have been away for a good part of the summer so I have had the benefit of shopping "healthier" as well and only having to worry about myself. For the most part, the healthier choices have definitely been more expensive! Kids are coming back on the weekend and I am worried about continuing my progress while having to cook inexpensive KID FRIENDLY meals !!! (What to do when The Boy won't eat veggies!). I'm a single mom of 3 kids (12, 14 and 16), so this advice is useful!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Eggs are dirt cheap.
    Canned meats such as tuna are usually inexpensive.
    Depending on where you shop, you can get good deals on produce. Just look for stuff that is in season and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
    I eat the same thing every day. That ALONE keeps my costs down, since I don't waste any food and my grocery bill stays consistent.
    Don't hesitate to go up to the seafood counter to look for deals for fresh fish. Just last week I got fresh/never frozen Atlantic Salmon for $6.99/lb. That's a steal AND it taste a sh*tload better than individually vacuum packaged portions of frozen fish.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dried beans
    Brown rice
    Oats
    canned tuna
    White fish - pollock, tilapia, haddock, perch
    cottage cheese
    eggs
    frozen vegetables/fruit
    whole grain bread/pasta

These are probably regional but where I live these are always fairly inexpensive:
    carrots
    apples
    onions
    green cabbage
    butternut squash
    radishes

And when in season:
    sweet potatoes
    broccoli
    collard greens
    kale
    cauliflower
    peppers
    green beans
    zucchini
    summer (yellow) squash
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    both great suggestions! What about proteins and good fats, good carbs that we can buy if we are short on grocery money? Also brands that may be better for us but still cheaper to purchase? What about ways to get our fruits and vegies in there? Frozen I hear is only 2nd to fresh in nutrients?

Denise:drinker: :drinker:

Good fats, you can get from nuts (preferably unsalted), peanut butter, or avocados. Flax seed is a good source of fat and keeps for a long while in the cupboard. You can buy flaxseed meal (already ground up for you), but I'm not sure how well it keeps compared to whole flaxseeds.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    peanut buttter and dry beans