My quick rant about my YMCA

Options

Replies

• laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want an obese trainer but overweight, well.. overweight according to who? I had a Zumba instructor at the Y who was "overweight" yet she could out zumba me any day of the week. I don't think that is as important as the quality/satisfaction of the class itself. Maybe you could try some other classes by different instructors. They are all different with different levels of motivation. Also, if you do qualify for a reduction in fees at the Y.. then take it! It's not taking from anyone else. Their motto is to not turn anyone down.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    When I toured the YMCA here for the possibility of a family membership, a member actually raced up to the front desk complaining that I walked through the gym area (the cardio machines) when I wasn't a member. How the hell else was I supposed to see if I like the place or not? He caused a huge scene and acted like I was preparing to bomb the place. It was bizarre. That, plus crammed-in equipment, unknowledgeable staff members, and general uncleanliness left me pretty unimpressed.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I guess every one of them is different. The Y that I go to is really, really nice and was more recently built a few years ago. The trainers are all in shape and there are all age ranges in the classes, though it mostly is around 25-40 it seems. There are special 'senior' activities that they keep separate from everybody else.

I'm not sure about the price range (I get in free, my boyfriend works there) but if I was in your position I wouldn't think that's worth the price either. I'd switch gyms as well unless you choose to partake in the scholarship program.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd care to have an overweight fitness instructor either. We don't appreciate when hairstylists have crappy hair and dentists have a mouth full of rotten teeth. It's the same thing, really. I want to see that the class actually makes an impact, you know?
    ^^THIS!!
    I feel the exact same way. I don't think this is shallow at all, its simply wanting your "professional" to look like they can 'talk the talk" AND "walk the walk"

For the record, I don't want a scrawny little trainer either (my old gym had one who looked like she couldn't lift her gym bag)...I want someone who looks like they could kick my @ss on every level...
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i belong to a Y in a city and it's 85.00......but i dont' pay for any classes.
    For the record, i have a trainer there and she's not a stick but wouldn't call her over weight either. She use to weigh 280lbs and lost it. If your concerned about appearance that's fine, but i want someone who has been where i was and is where i want to be now.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Thank you! That's how I feel. The person above you called me shallow, but I don't care, it's how I feel. I would just immediately lose motivation if an overweight person was training me. Just like you said, I wouldn't let someone do my hair who has bad hair or anything else along those lines. I feel like in certain professions you have an image to uphold.
    For all you know the overweight trainer may have been morbidly obese at some point in his or her life and may have a great deal of insight to share with you.
    Fit over fat.

If they are overweight but can still kick your @$$ in a class, then they are probably on the same journey, just further down the road from you and maybe their motivation is teaching fitness to others while simultaneously working themselves into better shape.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I guess some would just call Mark Rippetoe a fat *kitten* too...

All hail to the Coach!!

I was trying to find a good picture for the many here that don't know who he is, but I ended up finding myself reading the quote thread on t-nation and trying not to cry or spit on my computer screen (from laughing)....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I go to my park district. It's about 12 dollars a month. It's small and there aren't a ton of machines, but it works for me. =) They have a good variety.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We belonged to the YMCA and in our area it was a great place. However the Y tends to be more expensive than most gyms bc they cater to families and offer so many other programs to their members. We didn't pay extra for classes as members only non-members paid. Not sure maybe they are all different. Our Gold's Gym became Urban Active, it was dirty and lots of broken equipment but half the price of the Y. I can't take a dirty gym, too gross. When it changed hands nothing improved but there are some nicer Urban Actives in our area. As for instructors it would depend on what you classify as overweight. No I don't want someone morbidly obese but I try to realize that not everyone is programmed to weigh 120 lbs and look like Barbie. I just try to remember that there are some really awesome sports coaches out there who are over weight but they know there stuff. I do see your point however.

I look for the hairdresser that does the hair of the person whose hair I like best in the salon! I agree sometimes it isn't the person with the best hair bc they are too busy to do their own or get it done!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I went to the local YMCA when I was doing mainly cardio, before I started strength training. I was doing Zumba & Body Pump everyday other day for 8 months. Then the gym decided that they were going to start charging extra to do Body Pump because they didn't feel like footing the bill for the Les Mills license anymore. They were passing around a sign up sheet- it wouldn't been an extra $20 a month just for ONE class, on top of $30/month. I'm sorry, but I am NOT paying $50 a month just to do a couple cardio classes. I was on the *kitten* list of every old woman in that Body Pump class because I would've been the 15th person to sign up for it (They needed at least 15 people to maintain the license). Sorry people. Not gonna happen.

Needless to say, I switched to the local Anytime Fitness. Best decision EVER. Not only did I get away from the nagging old women who liked to gossip about anything and everything rather than actually work out, but this gym actually has people that give a *kitten* about lifting, and I've made a couple new female lifting buddies. AND it's the same price as the crappy Y was.

I say switch. Your health is worth investing in.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I pay $180/month for the gym I go to. They don't have all the fancy stuff that YMCA does (only weights and floor space) but you get instructors that know what they are talking about and there is only 6 people per class.

So it's almost like having a personal trainer 4-5 days a week.

You get what you pay for.

You don't have to pay out the *kitten* to get a good membership. We get a corporate discount at the Y thru my husbands job and we pay $27.28 per month for a family of 4.

We have 3 locations here in town all have weights/cardio/classes - 2 have indoor pools.

I meet with a trainer twice a week. (ex college football player, he works at the Y) and his training is FREE. It's basically a class, but it's unadvertised. I found out by asking at the desk if they knew of anyone who would show me some basics in the weight room.
  • DizzyNurse
    Options
    I can kinda see this from both view points... I hate to be told to do something by someone that is obviously not heeding their own advice. On the otherhand the Zumba instructor at my YMCA is a little chubby yet she teaches a kick *kitten* Zumba class. She is energetic and her technical skills are spot on.
    For me I like to know that my instructors are "real" people and are trying their hardest and working out about as much as I am able to--- I am not able to work out 4-5 hours a day like some of the super buff trainers do so I know that it is not reasonable for me to think I will look like them.

As far as the price: I pay $51 a month for a one adult family package at the YMCA. That's for me and my son. That's with my Veterans discount of 10% off. I researched several of the gyms near me and ended up choosing the Y because of the many options that they have, plus to me it wasn't as intimidating as Gold's Gym. And I like that I am not locked into a contract and that there are 3 within a short distance that I can go to.

But it all comes down to YOUR personal preferrences. If you are not happy at the Y then you should go elsewhere because unless you like where you're going you will not be as motivated to go workout and will not enjoy it.
  • jblack1414
    Options
    I agree with the Non-Fit Instructor thing. It applies to all other professions and we all do it (Judge that is). Not for the simple reason that if my instructor is over weight she doesnt know what shes doing, thats not the assumption. You could have the most knowledgeable trainer in the world be a fat slob. I would rather have someone that has (or appears to have) actually walked the talk outside the gym and embraced what they are preaching.

But i am also a realist so there are a large number of folks out there who would disagree. All the power to ya just my opinion.

I pay 48$/month and have been a member there since 02 i believe. I think im paying to much(Based on some posts above)

At One Point i was a member at golds, The Y , The University, and my corporate gym all at once. So i have made some good cut backs. I did like the travel appeal of being at golds, no matter what big city i went to i had a membership.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a Y within walkiing distance of my apartment. I absolutely HATED it. It was super expensive for a single mom and one kid. ($35 for me, $15 for kid...that's WITH corporate discount). They CONSTANTLY pushed me to get a family plan which was $15 more and I constantly had to explain I ONLY HAVE ONE KID AND I DON'T HAVE A HUSBAND! Why would I get a family plan? And the people were snooty and rude. I got out of that one.
  • sonyaj1125
    sonyaj1125 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you live in Kenosha? I think that is Charter Fitness, it' s a lot smaller than the YMCA and I don't think they do classes. I'm totally with you on the trainers. I want to get a personal trainer, but, I won't pay any of them my money...lol.:laugh:
  • fbuschur
    fbuschur Posts: 57
    Options
    There are also SEVERAL personal trainers and class instructors there that are overweight. I'm sorry, but if I paid money for a personal trainer (it's very expensive on top of your membership) and they were fat, I'd be PISSED! I just don't think it looks good to have overweight people teaching diet and exercise.

So I'm guessing competence doesn't matter? You'd hate my tri club, some of the coaches are a bit overweight (but you sure wouldn't know it from their race results) and are great coaches.

Shallow.......:huh:

Agreed, some of the best/hardest instructors I have ever have haven't looked the part, and some of the worst had seemingly 'perfect" appearances. This attitude makes me sad, one of the best yoga teachers I've ever had had her class cancelled because she didn't look the part, so none of the gym snobs would give her class a chance. Their loss, in my opinion.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd care to have an overweight fitness instructor either. We don't appreciate when hairstylists have crappy hair and dentists have a mouth full of rotten teeth. It's the same thing, really. I want to see that the class actually makes an impact, you know?

I thought about joining my local Y when I hit my halfway point, as I just can't tolerate being around many people right now when I'm in my workout clothes - or eek! a bathing suit. But if it's as expensive at my Y as it is at yours I might reconsider. That's really steep, jeez.

Thank you! That's how I feel. The person above you called me shallow, but I don't care, it's how I feel. I would just immediately lose motivation if an overweight person was training me. Just like you said, I wouldn't let someone do my hair who has bad hair or anything else along those lines. I feel like in certain professions you have an image to uphold.

For all you know the overweight trainer may have been morbidly obese at some point in his or her life and may have a great deal of insight to share with you.

It's the pre-judging based solely on appearance that's shallow (yeah, I wouldn't go to an accountant who had just been released from prison for tax fraud.....I understand the analogy) and a bit surprising coming from someone wanting to lose weight.

^^This. One of our Zumba instructors has lost over 200 pounds by doing zumba. At some point in her coming several days a week, EVERY week someone asked her if she wanted to do formal training.
    She is still a little overweight, but she has worked her *kitten* off LITERALLY. She's very upbeat and very devoted to Zumba.

Anyone who would shun her class because she's not a size 0 would be missing out on a great experience
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've seen someone say it here previously but calorie restriction is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. Yes you can burn calories but it is entirely possibly to be a fit, overweight person.

I've had chubbier fitness instructors and I've had skinnier. It didn't matter to me as long as they knew how to teach. In my own experience, I've been overweight but able to do more physical activity than a lot of my skinny friends. I can understand how image is looked at in our society and maybe you do want gyms to discriminate against their instructors just so they can sell a better image but maybe you should've toured the gym and done a trial before you joined. There are clubs out there that will happily discriminate against competent, overweight instructors.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I pay $180/month for the gym I go to. They don't have all the fancy stuff that YMCA does (only weights and floor space) but you get instructors that know what they are talking about and there is only 6 people per class.

So it's almost like having a personal trainer 4-5 days a week.

You get what you pay for.

You don't have to pay out the *kitten* to get a good membership. We get a corporate discount at the Y thru my husbands job and we pay $27.28 per month for a family of 4.

We have 3 locations here in town all have weights/cardio/classes - 2 have indoor pools.

I meet with a trainer twice a week. (ex college football player, he works at the Y) and his training is FREE. It's basically a class, but it's unadvertised. I found out by asking at the desk if they knew of anyone who would show me some basics in the weight room.

I had a membership at the Y and never once did anyone approach me to help with anything. Basically it was serve yourself attitude.

Whenever I did ask one of the staff they just showed me really quick and sounded like they were bothered to help.

I do feel the fee is a bit steep but I love learn how to weight lift properly. Their olympic lifting classes rock.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    $63 for a full service gym like the Y isn't that much, I don't think. I'd say, find a differnt Snap. There are some pretty big ones around. I was over $70 a month about 8 years ago at a gym that had everything. Other comparable places that were a bit nicer were over $100.