Running question

Options
I am doing the Couch to 5k running program. I am in week 9 where you run for 30 minutes straight. Well, I did that on my first run but I am tracking my distance and I am nowhere near 5k. So, for my second run this week I decided to run until I finished a 5k. I did it in 37:12. I never walked, though I never "run" much better than a 12 minute mile. On the one hand 9 weeks ago I could barely run for 60 seconds without feeling exhausted, so that is a victory. On the other hand that feels pretty slow. I know because I am a newbie I shouldn't care much, but the fact is that I do care. Anyway, I am still in the neighborhood of 275 lbs. I am assuming that time will come down naturally as I lose more weight. Anyone on here see time improvement with weight loss?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You will definitely see time improvement with weight loss. You will also see time improvement as your general running fitness improves and you continue to add more time to your runs.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    and strength training into that can help also strength in your core and upper body increases balances and means you can go faster nerd fitness has a great beginners program
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Regardless of size, your time will come down with experience. My first full 5K was done in about 41 minutes. My last official 5K time (ie race) was 38 minutes. Lately, in my training, I've been down to 32 minutes. Next official 5K is in 3 weeks so we'll see.

All I've done to improve my time is run more, and bike. The cycling has seemed to really help for some reason.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Couch to 5k running program. I am in week 9 where you run for 30 minutes straight. Well, I did that on my first run but I am tracking my distance and I am nowhere near 5k. So, for my second run this week I decided to run until I finished a 5k. I did it in 37:12. I never walked, though I never "run" much better than a 12 minute mile. On the one hand 9 weeks ago I could barely run for 60 seconds without feeling exhausted, so that is a victory. On the other hand that feels pretty slow. I know because I am a newbie I shouldn't care much, but the fact is that I do care. Anyway, I am still in the neighborhood of 275 lbs. I am assuming that time will come down naturally as I lose more weight. Anyone on here see time improvement with weight loss?

this might be useful?

http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/we
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing the 5K and having the endurance to go longer than 30 minutes...that is nothing to be ashamed of! Great job! As for the distance/time, it will come, just keep at it. I ran my first official 5K race in just under 30 minutes a few weeks after I finished C25K and about 15 months later PR'd a 5K in a little over 22 minutes. As you add distance, build endurance and get more sure in your abilities you will get a little better. And also know that a 12 min. mile is not bad, there are people who have run for longer that would love to get a 12 minute mile over any distance.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You will definitely see time improvement with weight loss. You will also see time improvement as your general running fitness improves and you continue to add more time to your runs.

^ Couldn't have said it better than this.
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You will improve over time. Remember some days are better than others. Sleep, nutrition, hydration, hills, etc., will also come into play. Another big factor here is the weather. The humidity is so bad that my time is horrible. Yesterday was much cooler and I did SO much better. When you do a real race the adrenaline will kick in and you will do better. But also know that if the course has hills it will automatically slow you down a little. Don't get hung up on time. Look back at how far you've come. A year ago I couldn't run to the mailbox. In the past year I've done about 10 5Ks and I am now training for my first half-marathon. Be proud of yourself!
  • LoganIII
    Options
    Hello Murdock, yes the time will come down gradually. When I first started I was sayng the same thing, I want my time to come down then I slowly changed my thought process to I want to finish then it chnged to I want to finish strog and consistant. After a while of staying at it I restarted clocking myself and was pleasantly surprised I went from 11 minute miles to 9 minutes 30 second mile times. Be patient and get comfortable with the run and your form and the time will come, congratulations. There will be a time when you look at back and say wow look how far ive come and that will be a great feeling. Keep it up.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wow!! That is amazing!!

I've lost my weight as I've been running so I think it's not just the weight loss that's helped but also a matter of practice makes perfect. A few other things that helped with my time:

- take a break from running and just walk fast for a week or two
    - get new running shoes
    - do strength training

I'd also recommend reading "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham - fantastic advice/info for new runners.
    Good luck!!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You will definitely see faster times as you lose weight...I went from a 11:25/mile to a sub 8:00/mile (in less than a year) after a 50+ lb loss.

Hang in there! You'll do great! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You are doing well, just don't let the number discourage you. There are many, many ways to track improvement and so look for that when you aren't seeing it in the numbers. I always want my numbers (scale, miles, time etc) to improve but have had to come to the realization that I'm in this for the long haul so I just need to keep going. Great job and keep going.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Beginner running programmes give the false impression that everyone is capable of a 10-minute mile. I certainly can't keep that up over distance and I've been at it for years! My first 5K I'd only run 30 minutes in preparation and nearly died when it took me more like 40!

You've done phenomenally well, and your speed is already the same as many more experienced runners, so you should be proud. You'll just get faster from here!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There's a rule of thumb that says that every pound lost will save you 2 seconds a mile - 6seconds on a 5k . A minute off your 5k if you lose 10lbs!

Speed is not important at this stage of your running. Work on running longer rather than faster. Be patient, keep losing the weight and keep running and you will also get quicker without even trying.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Weight will make a lot of difference. But more importantly you have to look at running in the long term. Big improvements, probably bigger than you can imagine, come with training consistently week to week, month to month, and year to year. In the long term, improvements will continue for up to ten years if you train smartly and progressively overload your strengthening body with more challenging training.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. Yes weight loss will help improve your time. Running regularly, over time, will improve your overall fitness, and improve your time. Don't worry too much about time right now. Just do the program, get your runs in, focus on getting more comfortable and more confident. The pace will come as you progress.
    For what it's worth, I did my first 5k in like 39 minutes. I didn't want to do it, and only did because I knew my trainer was there waiting for me. Now, I'm inching closer and closer to a 26 minute 5k - ok not super fast but a time I'd be quite happy with. I've done 5ks, 10ks, half marathons, and triathlons. I've lost a lot of weight and increased my fitness level enormously. But honestly, the biggest accomplishment - I enjoy running and I feel confident in myself. That's what it's all about!
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    I've read that it's recommened to run and lift weights for optimal weight loss. Any thoughts?
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You will improve over time. Remember some days are better than others. Sleep, nutrition, hydration, hills, etc., will also come into play. Another big factor here is the weather. The humidity is so bad that my time is horrible. Yesterday was much cooler and I did SO much better. When you do a real race the adrenaline will kick in and you will do better. But also know that if the course has hills it will automatically slow you down a little. Don't get hung up on time. Look back at how far you've come. A year ago I couldn't run to the mailbox. In the past year I've done about 10 5Ks and I am now training for my first half-marathon. Be proud of yourself!

This is so true - I've been running now for a couple of months and regularly run 5k. Trying to get me time to under 30mins. I'm still at 35mins but everytime I run, I'm a little faster.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not much to add in the way of advice but congratulations on a 37 min 5K!

My first 5K race was about 4 years ago and I was elated to beat 40min (barely). In the following year I lost probably 20lbs and ran a 26:46 for the same race (personally I'd attribute most of the improved time to improved fitness - consistency is key)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to congratulate you on your 5K distance. Good job! You will get there before you know it. My first race I ever did was a 12K, 3 months after I started running. I finished it in 10:10 MPM. Two years later, I ran my half marathon PR in 2:00 flat at 9:13 MPM. I'm not training for my second full marathon and my training runs have been under 9:00 MPM for half distances. So it's amazing how you will improve. I'm a firm believer in Distance First - then Speed. Get the distance you want to run down, then work on speed, not both at the same time when just starting out. Best of luck!
  • ashleyjoy80
    Options
    I also wanted to say congratulations!!!! You've come so far and are doing something that the average person can't even do. Keep going and your pace will improve with time. Great job!