Carbs/sugars from fruits/veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I do eat a lot of fruit (think 1-2 pound of different fruit/day), but I never go over my allowed calories. I do go over the sugar intake.... big time. I dont get too stressed about it though because I dont eat any white carbs at all (nothing with refined sugar or flour, and lately not even whole wheat... so no pasta, no bread, no potatoes, no breakfast cereals, no granola, if it is sweetened, etc). I think as long as you dont go over the calories and wash your teeth thoroughly after eating them it's fine. When winter comes, I'll be having a really tough time, though, since most fruit will be out of season.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fructose is not healthy sugar (it's actually one of the worst you can ingest) and should be limited as much as possible. That does not mean don't eat fruit, but try and consume fruits with lower amount like berries as much as possible. (or at least limit the fruits that are very high in fructose like bananas) Avoid fructose that comes from any source other than fruit like the plague. (which it might as well be) Overall the benefits of fruit far outweight the bad, so as long as you don't go overboard it's fine.
  • asticoral
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned you can eat fruits and veggies until your face falls off > those sugar calories don't "stick" to your ribs/waist/tush like the dble complex ones do. I don't count them on MFP either

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1846/2
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been over on my sugar because of the amount of fruit I eat every day since I joined MFP and started losing this weight nearly 6 months ago. It hasn't done me any harm. I stopped looking at all the stuff MFP details apart from calories after about a month.
  • rs32820
    rs32820 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Most, if not all, of my carbs come from fruits/veggies. I never eat any fruit past 3:00PM so that my body can process the sugars.
  • Kluthyy
    Kluthyy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ultimately all sugars are converted to glucose. It does not matter if the sugar is fruit sugar (fructose), lactose, maltose, etc. because your body digests sugar in a very specific way: Glucose travels through the blood stream to body cells to provide energy or is stored for future use.

However, the sugar from MOST fruits and vegetables tends to be healthier because they do not make your blood sugar spike the same way high GI foods do (white breads, pretzels, donuts, rice, etc). While almost all vegetables have a low GI, you should be limiting your consumption of high GI fruits (mango, bananas, raisins, papaya, figs, pineapple). High GI foods increase blood glucose levels very quickly, triggering the release of insulin....and what do we know about insulin? Too much of it promotes the storage of fat.

So bottom line: When you eat products high in sugar, you can experience rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels. Just pay attention to GI content. Fruits and vegetables are very nutritious but just remember, too much of anything is a bad thing. At the end of the day, a carb is a carb.....so no, you cannot negate them.
  • MyPresent
    MyPresent Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! I was wondering the exact same thing since I noticed that I go over my daily sugar goal every day. Just 0.5 cup of blueberries has around 7g of sugar. So I def. need to limit the fruits I eat during the day, and the ones I eat as a snack after dinner.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I prefer that my carbs come from fruits and veggies rather than bread, pasta, chips, cookies, or candies. I still don't like to go over, but if I must I would rather it be because I ate a bowl of real strawberries and not a bowl of strawberry ice cream.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1000 US dollars are the same as 1000 pesos. Silly arguments lol.
  • jeffsater
    Options
    Some fruits are loaded with sugar so you can't just eat all you want. Berries are better for you but should still be taken in moderation. When in doubt, look it up online. For Example... I LOVE Mangos; but one Mango has over 30g of sugar. I could eat 2 servings of peanut butter cup ice cream and take in that same amount of sugar.