fast Food is my problem

Options
Hey everyone, I just joined today. Looking to lose about 40 pounds, and to start an exercise routine I can stick with for more than 3 days! :)

My biggest problem is stopping at Fast food - and eating when I am not even hungry -

Anyone else?

Replies

• Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    welcome!

here's a tip to help stop the fast food stops- if you're worst time is dinner, on the way home from work, (which was mine). put your purse in the trunk of your car, then you won't be as easily swayed to stop in the drive up, and have to go to your trunk to get your purse out to pay for the meal.

for grazing- mine again is mostly at night after the kids go to bed- gum, or brushing my teeth early, and a glass of ice water.
  • eazieske
    eazieske Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    YES I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM THEM FOR A WHILE NOW BUT IT USED TO BE A BIG PROBLEM FOR ME TOO. JUST KEEP IT SMARTER MY MOTHER AND I USED TO DO THIS WE WOULD GO TO BK AND ORDER A SIDE SALAD AND 1 OR 2 GRILLED CHICKED BREAST AND THAT WOULD SOO SATITIFY US AND NOW YOU CAN SUBSITUTE THE FRIES ANY WHERE YOU GO JUST SOME IDEAS
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love fast food, KFC, mcds, bks, pizza, you name it I love it. But I assure you that when you've completed a week eating healthy foods, tracking towards your goal, you'll feel far less likely to want to put junk in your body. That being said have one cheat day a week where you allow yourself a treat. Boosting your metabolism will trick your body into thinking its not being under nourished . It gets easier :)
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    Welcome! Your weight loss journey starts with the first step and will take time.

What types of fast food? Fried and greasy foods are so very bad for you. High in fat, calories, cholesterol etc. How does it make your body feel after eating them? Try alternative things on the menu instead. Get grilled instead of fried chicken. Subway has so very many yummy sandwiches and salads. Or get in the habit of having a tide over snack with you (granola bar, fruit, etc)

Do you have any hobbies? Try to engage yourself into one...diverts you from eating when you shouldn't be. Chewing gum sometimes helps as well as drinking a glass of water. It tends to fill you until your next snack or meal.

There are so very many good tips on here and lots of people like yourself (and myself included) that are wanting to make a change! :)
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP! I used to have the same problem until I started here. Once you start plugging in those numbers and find out how much you have been really eating, it will change your life! Don't worry if you go over a little on your first few days, it take a little bit to figure out a diet that works for you. I'll send you a friend request if you would like some support on your journey! =)
  • readytoloseit1
    Options
    Hi! I just joined yesterday. I've been dieting and exercising for a few weeks already but didnt seem to be doing much other than maintaining the 1 lb that I lost. I joined this site and put in all of my info and discovered that I was consuming more calories than I should a day. Ive already lost an extra lb by following my new calorie count. Oh and Im a big fast food eater and a social eater. i may not even be hungry but because everyone else around me is eating i'll go right ahead and eat too. Ive recently started following the recommendation of having 8 glasses of water a day. Thats help ALOT, I dont care whos eating or what theyre eating im now too full to even consider food. Yesterday I even came in under my calorie count for the day because I couldnt possibly eat anything else. So try keeping some water around and that might help with your fast food stops. As far as your exercise routine goes just try doing physical activities of any sort for 30 mins or more. Dancing, walking around the neighborhood, or even jogging in place while you watch a tv show. Just to get you started then start to move on to workout routines. That might help you get into.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love fast food, KFC, mcds, bks, pizza, you name it I love it. But I assure you that when you've completed a week eating healthy foods, tracking towards your goal, you'll feel far less likely to want to put junk in your body. That being said have one cheat day a week where you allow yourself a treat. Boosting your metabolism will trick your body into thinking its not being under nourished . It gets easier :)

I totally agree with this! I'm a big Taco Bell fan but since I've truly started tracking and eating better, I no longer have the cravings for fast food as much and when I do, I try to stick with Subway!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Just look for lower fat items....For instance-grilled instead of fried.:)
  • S_Delbridge
    Options
    I know what you mean!! been there before. my suggestion is stay completely away from it all for atleast the first 90 days. After you've changed what your body wants to eat & have more self control, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a salad or grilled chicked no bun from your fav place ONCE and a while! GOOD LUCK!
  • hrokosky12
    hrokosky12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    welcome!

here's a tip to help stop the fast food stops- if you're worst time is dinner, on the way home from work, (which was mine). put your purse in the trunk of your car, then you won't be as easily swayed to stop in the drive up, and have to go to your trunk to get your purse out to pay for the meal.

for grazing- mine again is mostly at night after the kids go to bed- gum, or brushing my teeth early, and a glass of ice water.

BEST TIP EVER!! So glad I clicked on this board.

And good luck to you!!
  • staceygraham87
    Options
    HI there,
    I am the same, i used to binge on junk food and take aways! Having 2 young and demanding kids means i don't have a lot of time to myself so it was mainly just a "quick fix." I have 90lbs to lose so heres hoping that I can finally do it this time, i've been putting it off for years but the time has finally come for me to take a step and get the weight off!

Friend requests welcome, i need all the help i can get!

Also does anyone else feel they are at there most hungry about 8pm onwards, this is when im struggling. Hit me with tips guys, i need it!

Good luck to you all! :)
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'll add to what the masses are saying: Once you start tracking your intake, your entire mindset will change.. And, add lots of water into your diet.. The more water you drink, the less hungry you will feel overall..
  • lydia8117
    Options
    When I have to work late, and I've been go-go-going all day, it's really hard to resist the convenience of fast food on my drive home. My solution was to pull up the "calorie" lists of my favorite fast food joints (McD's, Subway, etc.) and highlight the items that aren't going to mess up my allotted calories for the day. For example, any of the 6" low fat sandwiches from Subway are under 400 calories, and 6 piece McNuggets are only 250. You can pull up this info for almost any chain restaurant (including non-fast food places). Really helps when you want to go out for dinner with friends, too. Just know how many calories you have left to play with at the end of the day and try to stay in that ball park.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I had this problem for years. If you've ever seen the movie SuperSize Me, I totally did that to myself.

Anyhow, "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman has been working REALLY well for me. All the hunger cravings have stopped, I eat until I'm satisfied, no longer need to count calories, and I'm losing about 3 lbs/week. I recommend it to anyone, especially those who like to eat.
  • smbubbles
    smbubbles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I get into this "all or nothing" mentality. So, if I mess up and have a meal at McD's or wherever, then I feel like "oh well, I've blown it anyway", and I'll just eat more junk. I need to be able to make a mess up just be an "isolated incident"!
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've long had the fast food problem too. Good news is, there are sensible choices at many of these places.

Taco Bell - 3 Crunchy Tacos Fresco style ~ 450 calories
    KFC - Get the grilled chicken
    Subway - many of the subs are low calories and fat
    Chipotle - Stay away from the burritos and high sodium salsas and get the crunchy tacos with steak or chicken with the green tomato salsa.
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    for me, its all about balance. i love a good hamburger. i will get a wendy's Jr plain, and a salad. not often.... but once in a while. i might steal a fry here or there too. once you start really seeing what those things will cost you, you will learn to make better choices, and enjoy fast food for what it should be, a rare treat.
    if you do it right, and play with the numbers before you go out, you can eat pretty normally out in public. at parties, snack on the veggie tray, and stay away from the ranch dip. most of my friends don't know i'm "dieting" just that i've cut out the alcohol, and am drinking diet coke....
    as for late night snacking.... if i'm all out of calories after dinner..... i brush my teeth, and drink water, lots and lots of water.... everytime i think about food, WATER.
  • Shannybee44
    Shannybee44 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem in that I actually WORK part time at McD's and it's so tempting to just pig out on junk as I get 50% off food while working. I am trying to stick with their "healthier" options like the grilled chicken snack wraps but sometimes I just need a burger! :-) I also am looking to lose about 50 pounds (to start with) and going back to college in the fall is going to be tricky too with the cafeteria food. I can't seem to ever pack a healthy lunch and get sucked into the convenience. BLAH. good luck to you on your journey! p.s. I just joined yesterday so I'm a noob as well.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    So, we all know fast food isn't great regardless, but there is usually something you can eat from most places & still stay under your goal calories... I have an app on my phone called RESTAURANTS Unified Lifestyle. It has every chain restaurants' menu and the nutrition menu listed.

I was so hoping this was on the iphone but it's not, oh well!

OP-it can be tough at first but like others have said, you took the first step and are here. take it one day at a time, you'll stop craving certain things. Like me-I loved McDonald's Apple Pies before, now they taste horrible to me. it took awhile to kick the habit but I did it, and so can you. Good luck!
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I get fast food now and then. It's all about moderation. Some good tips above. Cut out the fries and shakes. That's a big step right there.