What are the healthiest, inexpensive foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump... lots of great ideas
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, lentils, and oats stay stocked.
    Canned tuna
    Frozen veggies
    Eggs, frozen bags of fish and chicken when we find a great deal and can afford them (rarely)
    Otherwise, mostly fresh produce, whatever is cheap/in season/on sale, mostly:
    Celery
    Bananas
    Cucumbers
    Spinach
    Green Onions

My husband and I spend $60 or less each week on groceries, though sometimes it's hard because the produce runs out quickly.
  • calund06
    calund06 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Brown Rice (not the instant kind)
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Fresh vegetables in season. Grow your own if lucky enough to have room for a garden
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Also if you visit a farmers market, try visiting at the end of the day. Often you will get extras.
  • TBellmore
    Options
    bump
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    GRITS and Eggs!!! Keeps me full all morning

We do this for dinner. Nummy.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Avocados.

It took me awhile to get out of the mindset of healthy=expensive, because it just isn't that way. I've finally gotten to the point where the majority of my shopping is at the perimeter of the store and I rarely venture into the aisle down the middle. The outer areas have veggies, meats, dairy, fruits. Hit the middle rows and you get foods with additives and preservatives and TONS of unfilling calories.

Just learning this for myself, too. It's getting better over time preparing for two (what we'll actually eat) vs. a whole package only because that's what I was used to.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like to buy frozen fruit for smoothies.. I tend to let fresh fruit go bad before I eat it all, so it saves me money in the long run because it lasts longer!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Compare prices on frozen meat, like boneless, skinless chicken breasts. In may cases, the fresh boneless, skinless variety IN THE BUTCHER CASE is cheaper. You can freeze it yourself..... especially in the summer when they push them for grilling.

Also, skinning a thigh or breast is a snap, and the multi-packs in the fresh section are cheaper than paying someone to skin them for you. And the bones add flavor....
  • Ermzie
    Ermzie Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to eat simple because if I try to get too creative making meals, I tend to really mess up my calorie allotment. I know fruits and veggies raw are high nutrition, but sometimes I sure would like some reasonably healthy and inexpensive COMFORT FOOD.

I like peanut butter on celery...as long as I dont PILE ON the peanut butter, you can squeak 3 ribs of celery out of 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter. OH, also, my sister-in-law often uses cabbage leaves for the "bread" of a sandwich. You'd be surprised what all you can make a "sandwich" out of that is reasonably healthy.

Another food that is more like comfort food to me is homemade soup. It doesn't really take much money to make a very large batch of soup and you can freeze it in portion sizes so it's ready when you are. I have major trouble staying out of the fast food drive-thrus. But when I get my butt in gear and have soup or chicken breasts already cooked and ready at home, it helps my discipline.

Hope this helps ya'll too.
  • RiversideBabe
    RiversideBabe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    take advantage of your local farmers market!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Tofu. You get a lot of good nutrition for your money. I mix tofu with fat free or part skim ricotta to make eggplant lasagna (no noodles). I also include it in my smoothies and in blended vegetable soups to increase protein content.

Jars of spaghetti sauce. It can be high in sodium or sugar, so you have to watch out for those, but it is versatile and affordable. It makes a nice topping for grilled chicken, turkey, added in to ground chicken or turkey for meatloaf or meatballs (also, add tofu for leaner recipes) and a good condiment for steamed veggies (like broccoli or zucchini) . It is also good with shellfish like shrimp, clams, calimari, scallops or the shellfish blends you can buy in the freezer section. Cut the sauce with a little chicken broth for a lighter flavor. Add store bought spaghetti sauce to chicken or vegetable broth for a quick soup base.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Organic eggs are 5 bucks a dozen. Read the book The Skinny Bit**. You'll go organic or vegetarian. Ignorance is bliss. I try to eat organic when I can. With a family of five our food bill is crazy. But that's off topic. Just had to post the egg price.

Organic eggs where I live are $2.99 for a dozen large.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Organic eggs just means the hens are fed organic grains. All those cheap eggs are from hens kept in cruel, unhealthy and disgusting conditions and have had their beaks chopped off with no painkillers (which is the equivalent of chopping a finger off a human baby) Chickens are meant to eat bugs, outside. Where I live, a dozen pasture-raised eggs is $7-8. So you'll find my awesome vegan butt over in the bulk section buying lentils.