Ever try protein powder in hot chocolate?

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
Anyone ever put chocolate protein powder in with hot coco mix? I'm thinking about trying it and just wondered how it is? :tongue:

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm curious to know too.
  • pasbd
    pasbd Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't see how it could be bad. I've been thinking about adding it to my coffee.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I don't see how it could be bad. I've been thinking about adding it to my coffee.

I thought about that, too! :tongue:
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I add chocolate protein powder to my ice coffee, with splenda, to make a latte, really good.
  • dax58
    dax58 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Depending on your protein powder, make it with hot milk and it comes out pretty good. Not tried it mixed with normal hot choc, but cant see any issues
  • tripyrenees
    Options
    Just curious why do you need to be taking protein power????
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Depending on your protein powder, make it with hot milk and it comes out pretty good. Not tried it mixed with normal hot choc, but cant see any issues

I never thought of using it instead of hot chocolate mix... just thought of adding it. Thanks, I'll give it a try!
  • dax58
    dax58 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @tripyrenees

I use protein powder around my exercise to help with building muscle. It is also very low in carbs something that i have to keep relatively low to lose weight. my intolerances around alot of wheat products is lousy and i am not a fan of the gluten free ones.

In addition i find it to be extremely filling more so than the snack bars or yoogurts / fruit etc that most people use.
  • dolesteresa
    Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation of which protein powder is the best to use. So many of them taste horrible.
  • Rainster
    Options
    I was actually wondering the same about protein powder in hot chocolate a few nights ago. I regularly mix it into my oatmeal, but wasn't sure if it would be any good with the milk. Now I might give it a try...

As for brands of protein powder, I've tried a few different ones. Muscle Milk Light tastes good, but if you're looking for something low in carbs and high in protein, I highly recommend Isopure. It desolves easily into liquid without having to shake it, and the taste is decent.
  • plindy
    plindy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Unjury products. It is pure whey protein isolate. You have to be careful when you mix it with hot liquids, it will change the consistency. I make a frappachino in the morning using 1 cup of milk, instant coffee (decaf or regular), chocolate protein powder, and about 2 cups of ice. (you can adjust the ice to the consistency you like) I sometimes use unflavored Unjury with sugar free Nestle Quick. You can adjust how much chocolate and coffee to your preference. You can to go to Unjury's web page and get more recipes. www.unjury.com
  • smiles04
    Options
    I use the Ease 100% whey protein powder. I put it in my milkshakes after a workout or sometimes just for a snack. It doesn't taste bad, I actually kind of like it. I would really recommend it. :smile:
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation of which protein powder is the best to use. So many of them taste horrible.

I have noticed that most of them taste no so great at first and after a couple of days it kinda grows on you. As soon as you switch it up, you have to start all over and go through the firs couple of days and then it gets better again. I have been using the Syntrax Nectar Sweets Chocolate Truffle from Vitamin Shoppe. I mix it with 8 oz. of skim milk and it comes out to 180 calories. It keeps me full for about 4 hours.
  • bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my coffee especially if I wake up hungry and I have a cardio session, especially if it is HIIT.

Ian- For those of us who try to keep our consumption of protein up without the additional cals of carbs, protein powder is great especially when dieting. It is necessary for maintaining muscle and growing muscle especially after a weight training session.

My favorite powder is Beverly Internation Muscle provider in Vanilla, I use Lean dessert Banana Nut with my oatmeal in the morning, add some almonds or walnuts and it is tasty. Muscle milk Light taste great too..especially Strawberry creme.

Michelle
  • cota1chrome
    Options
    I reward myself with a chocolate protein shake with a banana and 1 % milk in a blender and it's like my dessert for the day it's delish, but i only drink them if i exercise that day, so therefore it's my reward only if I exercise. I use GNC 100% whey protein powder.
  • Tracy46545
    Options
    I have this every morning. I've had bariatric surgery and need take in 70-80 grams of protein a day. I have this in the morning and get the rest of my protein intake from healthy whole foods and lean meat and dairy sources.
    I use Body Fortress Chocolate protein powder (available at Walmart). It's 26 grams of protein per scoop. I put one scoop in a 12 oz mug and add about 10 oz water. I microwave it in 30 second increments and stir well in between so the whey protein doesn't clump. When it's the right temperature to drink, I add in a Swiss Miss sensible sweets cocoa mix (25 calories) for added flavor. Total drink (12 oz) is 135 calories, 25 gms protein (2 in the Swiss Miss), 2 gm fiber and 6 gm carbs. I HATE drinking a cold protein shake in the morning when it's 20 degrees outside!:drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Some of us need the supplement, especially the vegetarians/vegans who exercise too often to actually get the necessary amount from diet alone.
  • iRun4wine
    Options

Some of us need the supplement, especially the vegetarians/vegans who exercise too often to actually get the necessary amount from diet alone.

hey msarro- good to see you're still around! :wink:
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bump to my topics

Not using protein powder right now, but adding this to my topics in case a time comes when I need
    one with decent flavor.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I know this reply is very behind the times! But I have trouble eating anything solid in the morning, so I have started using an organic dark hot chocolate, 1 tablespoon of coconut milk powder and a scoop of my brown rice protein powder. It has a bit of a funky taste, but no aftertaste. The dark chocolate and coconut really mask the protein taste. (which even after 6 months, I still hate!) :)