Needing some guidance.

Options
I've decided to buckle down and really lose weight this time, but I have found that it's hard to change my habits when I'm not the one buying the food. I live with my dad and he is the one who goes to the grocery store every Sunday. We generally eat the same thing every week. Read: barbecue on the grill and shake-n-bake. The food he cooks basically sickens me, but I'm stuck eating it unless I want to starve. The only reason that I don't buy my own food is because I can't afford it. Am I doomed to be overweight forever???

Replies

• smbubbles
    smbubbles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you really don't have any options about what the choices for food are, maybe you could eat less of the food. Maybe you could ask your dad to pick up some fruits and veggies too? Maybe he would be supportive of your healthy goal.
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try going with him to pick out your own foods. Buy just enough of what he likes and enough of what you like to keep the cost the same.
  • sgermanmd
    Options
    Even if he buys it, you can still do the cooking. Grilling without barbecue sauce, roasting without shake and bake, grilled or roasted veggies instead of fried, lots of options.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Why can't you go with him and make suggestions for other foods? Humans are creatures of habit, maybe he just grills all the time because he doesn't have any better ideas. If you inspire him he might start mixing it up. Don't say your doomed either, that's just an excuse. Get online and start looking up some healthier versions of recipes you think your Dad would enjoy and share them with him. Also why not offer to make the dinner 2-3 nights a week? If you are doing the cooking you'll have control over how much fat, oil, bread crumbs, etc. go into the mix. Or, if the food he makes really sickens you, and he doesn't want to change, why don't you just ask him to stop buying two portions of steaks for example and ask him if you can spend that money he would have spent on the steak on something you do like that is healthier.
  • xsara_bearx
    xsara_bearx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Talking to him is like talking to a brick wall. He is very set in his routines. BUT...I will give it a try. Thanks :)
  • cebeu
    cebeu Posts: 2
    Options
    My dad is like this too. I completely understand.

What I've had to do is basically just to do the shopping or to put things I like on the list, and just get less of each kind. Then you might have to make your own food, which is what I do, just because whenever I try to cook for everyone he's not pleased with what I've made. So it might be a bit more work on your part, but you can always try to eat maybe the same main dish and just make a different individual portion side dish for yourself of veggies. But maybe eventually he'll come around! Good luck!
  • xsara_bearx
    xsara_bearx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's great to get advice from someone who really understands.