HELP!!!! Please read!!!

Options
I am overweight.. I am tired of being fat!!!!

I have 2 children ages 2 and 3... I am a full time nursing student (consumed roughly 80 hours a week in homework, class time, etc). I also work 10-15 hours a week. I HAVE NO TIME TO COOK HEALTHY MEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in an exercise class at school (woo for 1 credit hour! haha) I haven't worked out yet this week (Working right after class, kids doctors appointments, daughters pre-school orientation, and I was babysitting tonight). Thankfully next week slows down significantly and I just have school and the kids! WOW! JUST??

I need quick, easy, simple, low carlorie meals to get me through the day. I drink 3 cups of coffee in the morning, usually a fiber one bar for breakfast, and then don't eat again until 7PM, and by then im so hungry and tired from going going going all day long we get take out! UGH! I really want to lose a good 50 lbs.. If I can't take care of myself, how should I expect to take care of other people in a hospital?

Any advice on low carlorie meals, that literally take no time to make!? Has anyone lost weight eating the Lean-Cuisine meals? Or anything similar? I can't just have food delivered to my door due to the fact that IM STILL A BROKE COLLEGE STUDENT BUT I HAVE 2 KIDS AND A HOUSE PAYMENT! haha! So COUPONS COUPONS COUPONS! But Do the lean cuisine work? Or should I just live off salads and apples? haha.

Thanks for the help

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try is preparing food for several meals at a time. It takes about the same amount of time to steam enough veggies for six meals as for one meal. Make, freeze, thaw and reheat. Lisa Lillien has cookbook in her Hungry Girl line of books called "300 under 300". Lots of simple recipies requiring few ingredients and it is mostly the ordinary foods, not the exotic stuff from the speciality stores. Quick prep time, too.

Frozen dinners aren't the end of the world, but you really have to read the labels and watch for sodium content. It's often too high for most people. And if you are watching your pennies, they really are one of the most expensive meals around. You PAY for the convenience. A lot of those meals are heavy on the carbs, too. Fewer carbs, less sugar, less salt, more protien, more vitamins.

Is there someone else at school or close by to share the cooking. A friend and I got together for a while and spent several hours each weekend sharing the cooking, slicing, dicing, pealing, washing dishes. We got some of those cheap Glad containers, like tupperware but cheap, and measured out meal-sized portions, froze some, refrigerated some, and had a lot of the prep done for the whole week.

More power to you. And while I HATE the phrase, just think outside the box a bit. You'll get there.
  • jbrann911
    Options
    As a college kid you must be good at math that is basic principal. I am using diet shakes I buy Walmarts tastes good a month worth $45 buys 60 meals for that! In morning I put shake in blender add fruit frozen works best $1 store sells bag I use 1/2 a bag. Blend while brushing teeth ultra quick pour in bottle and run after the bus. I invested $15 in my blender bottom comes off ulta easy for cleaning. Shakes come strawberry, vanilla and chocolate ( mixing them 1/2 and 1/2 is good also). I won't make the powdered one has to be pre-made others don't blend enough tast like I eat SAND.

Lunch I drink shake from can and eat a salad I usually push my salad up to about 200 calories using a serving of spring mox 15 calories, add meat of choice ( cold cut end put in blender and pulse just a few times awesome on the salad - and cheap). I make salad dressings ahead of time in those babyrubermaid containers pre-measures. Try Fat free Italian 15-25 cal add mustard I like jalepeno/chipolte 10 calories salad dressing for under 50 cal and yummy. I add things to the salad like canned corn, gren beans, legumes and etc. I make a MEAN salad. Its a GIANT Meal what else can you eat for 200 calories - cardboard?

Snacks diet bars, jello I eat a hole sugar free box I made ahead of time 20 calories in the hole box. Just boil a extra pot of water when making kids dinner.

Cooking doesn't have to take a lot of time. I buy meats at market Mondays & Fridays its mark down days. I love my pyrex so I make like turkey breasts throw two in pan, make a sauce - mix all kind of things together like salsa 10 cal, into chip dip 60 cal your choice flavor cover turkey or chicken back for 60 min done. I pack then ready to bake in fridge just take out and throw in over while doing other lifes demands - Use the timer. I recently found tofu noodles ( I like tofu but prep is work) already done in bag just pour in callender and drain pat with towls cook with in wok or frying pan takes like work I again add my favorites to them. I have completly cut regular pasta out - my 13 yr doesn't know the difference!

Rest of the math lesson pick a calorie level deduct the shakes and bars. That tell you what you have left for food - I have never eat so much food in my life and so full on 800 calories. But still doing balance principal 40 % protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats to keep to basic body functionality.
  • mmackiewicz9
    Options
    I would recommend foods with whole grains, lots of lean protein, and fresh fruits/veggies. I know that you are seeking meal ideas, but I want to take a moment and give you some encouragement. I was able to lose a decent amount of weight and when I started, it seemed impossible. Stick with it and you will have success. I hated exercise and viewed it as a type of self imposed punishment at first, but then I started making friends with other gym people and got some great support. Take it from me, when your clothes start getting looser, you will be so proud. Some of the best advice I got was from the fitness director of my gym. She was a former trainer for the NY Jets and she has been one of the most inspiring people I've ever met. She told me that "every rep counts" and that once you get fit, you only have to worry about maintenance". Her first bit of advice seemed cliche, but now that I look back, I am thankful for all the early morning spin classes and double sessions. It really does all add up. Her other advice about maintenance is starting to prove true as well. Admittedly, I am nervous about slipping back into my old ways, but once you start getting fitter, your metabolism stays pretty quick and you can afford a couple days off here and there or maybe some desert now and then. I think that the hardest part was getting started because now, I actually look forward to going to the gym and what used to be miserable is fun. Add me as a friend and if you ever need support, send me a message. I had to do it all on my own and would have really liked someone to talk to. GOOD LUCK!!
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom too. I work a lot of hours and since my husband is a commercial fisherman, we do not see him at all from June 20 -- October 31. When he is gone, I can barely find time to brush my teeth let alone exercise. I am happy just to spend a few moments reading success stores before I go to bed! I have, however, (finally) gotten the food under control. I do eat a frozen dinner for lunch about 1-2x a week. I like the Amy's light and lean line (they are organic and vegetarian). I also have to eat out 1-2x a week for my job. I usually get a salad or a bowl of soup. The other couple of days a week, I bring leftovers in my lunch.

Breakfast ideas --
    Use small tortillas instead of toast. I microwaves a couple of scrambled eggs and make a little breakfast quesadilla for myself and my daughter.
    We make smoothies. My favorite is frozen mango, banana and a crap load of spinach
    If I am in a super rush, I go to subway and get the 3" breakfast sandwich on flat bread with egg whites and spinach
    I also make my own "mocha" in the morning with a shot of espresso, microwaved milk and 6-10 drops of chocolate stevia.

Dinner --
    I make a ton of broccoli, asparagus or cooked kale 1-2 a week and I just nuke it for dinners. Since my husband fishes, I have literally hundreds of pounds of halibut, salmon, blackcod and shrimp laying around so we often have that with the dinner. If I do not feel like fish, I make beans in the crockpot (or soups too) or buy one of those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store or costco. I also do some of the costco prepared foods, such as the soups or pot stickers.

What I do not have figured out is MOVEMENT. I just do not see where to squeeze it in the day. I do the little stuff like take the stairs, walk to meetings on my campus, park a little further away, etc. But I do not think that is doing the trick. I just do not see where to pull the time and since I am not dying from high blood pressure, I feel bad asking my mom or a friend to come over to my house at the butt crack of dawn, allowing me to leave my kid and go to the gym before work. I mean my mom should be working out too!

If you figure that exercise thing out, please let me know!
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that your comment about apples made laugh because I do keep apples and tangerines at work for snacks. I probably eat 2 of them a day!
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    As far as working out goes... you don't have to go to the gym or even leave home for a run. Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is on youtube, as are other workout videos and you can borrow many of them from the library. I'm particularly fond of the 30 day shred as it's 27 minutes a day, that's it. I can do that.

Oh, and in the recipe section there are websites listed for eating well but inexpensively.

Keep working on it and stay connected here. I have found so many good ideas, not to mention pals.
  • AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Girl you are starving your body of all the good things that it needs to keep going! I don't know how many calories you are eating but it is not enough to get you through your long days.In order for your brain to accept new info like class work it needs enough nourishment to keep running at its peak. giving it food two times a day but expecting it to run %110 all day long is just something it cannot do for long periods of time.You need to try to eat about every two hours while you are awake.Nuts are a great source of protein make up some Pb&j's before you go to work or school or just keep some nut butters and jelly in your desk.learn to use a crock pot and also cook for your freezer.In your crazy life how are your kids eating?Are they just eating a granola bar and then take-out for dinner?If they were your age and eating like you what would you tell them as a nurse?A quick and cheep breakfast idea is breakfast burritos take about 6-8 potatoes(more or less depending on size) and boil them peel and cube them put in a large bowl,add a can of your favorite green chili (I like stokes with chicken) grated cheese about a cup,and bacon or some other meat if you want meat.Mix until it is all incorporated and than take a package of tortillas take one at a time lay it on plastic wrap add some of the mix fold in the sides and then roll.Wrap the burritos again in aluminium foil if you are going to freeze them they keep for about a week in the fridge and for months in the freezer.Also check out you tube for workout ideas. (be fit has some great 5 minute workouts for the busy woman)Good luck! :happy:
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I checked this out the other day. Maybe it's a solution for you - if you have adequate freezer space. You basically spend a half day cooking once a month and freeze it.

http://onceamonthmom.com/
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    I got you girl! I had a similar situation, except I was studying for the bar. I would take recipes off of cookinglight.com. They have DELICIOUS recipes, and they end up being really inexpensive and easy because most only have a few ingredients, and I usually had several of the ingredients already on hand, so I ended up only buying a few ingredients each time I used a new recipe. BUT the key was, each sunday night, I go to the website (cookinglight) and I pick out 7 dinner recipes for the next week, and I try to put recipes with similar ingredients back to back so I can make sure to use leftover produce. Then, the day of the meal, my boyfriend and I would take turns- one person would pick up the ingredients, the other would cook, or vice versa, but the recipes are so easy and time efficient, that it wasn't a big deal for me to do both. Also, I do NOT recommend lean cuisine. All that packaged stuff has tons of sodium, it bloats you, and makes it even harder to lose weight or see results. Good luck!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Healthy Choice cafe steamers are so delicious! I eat one for lunch about 4 times a week, and i've lost 12 lb in the past month and a half. I do exercise a lot and i eat lots of healthy snacks throughout the day.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Find some time to cook ahead! Stay away from those frozen health foods. I used to eat them all the time...bad.

Now I cook up 2-3 pounds of chicken in a couple of hours- this takes care of lunch and dinner for my BF and I for about 2-3 days....Cooking healthy is easy and it can be fast!
  • lriley52
    Options
    Yes you do have time to cook. Broil or bake 6 chicken breasts in the evening. Wash lettus for salads and put in separate bags for the week. Buy mixed frozen veggies. One contailer with veggies and check - put in micro at work or at home. Salad in a bowl with dressing adn you are done!

Cook enough oatmeal for the week - into separate bowls with a little sweetner and milk - in the micro it goes for breakfast. Better and cheaper than boughten fiber bars.
    HArd boil some eggs at the same time

Afternoon hyungry - grab a hard boiled egg and apple.

Done and food filled with protein, veggies and fiber.

You have to make use of every free minute and prepare for the week.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Find crockpot recipes. A chicken cooked in the crockpot is cheap, easy and lasts for a few meals. Make things like chicken salad with canned chicken, add celery and carrots to it. Make hummus. Keep them in the fridge. Veggie burgers can be made ahead of time and put on the grill frozen. Aldi grocery store has frozen turkey burgers, box of 12 for $6. There are lots of affordable, fast options.
  • NeCrafty
    Options
    Hi! I don't quite have the handfull you do, but I to work 12+ hour days 5-6 days per week. I did find this the other day when I was planning my grocery list.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/quick_vegetarian_recipes?slide=1#leaderboardad

Most of the recipes are pretty cheap and VERY easy to make. If you look around the site though, there are a lot of suggestions for quick and cheap meals. Something else I like to get are these Bon Appitite Meals that come in the freezer isle. they are under 500 calories and give you quite a bit of food, and the best part is that they come individually wrapped. All you do is put them in the microwave or pop in the oven. :)

I would seriously consider getting some kind of protein bars for the day though. Your body is going into starvation mode and slowing down your metabolism when you constantly go so long without eating. I personally like Luna Protein bars. They keep me feeling full for a couple hours and are delicious! I think they are about $5 for a pack of 6 at Target. It may seem like it's a little expensive, but that is your lunch for 6 days.

As for working out, I know it is very difficult, but there are so many options now for people that have a busy lifestyle. P90X and Insanity are two of my favorites. Also, even if you take about 10 minutes to run a mile or so, you are still burning extra calories and increasing your metabolism. My old roomate had a 3 year old son, and she would put on some kids shows and dance around and play with him for most of the night.

I hope this helps! :)
  • candaceenglefnp
    Options
    frozen dinner are a great way to teach portion size and let you know precise calories. you have enough stress. make life as easy as possible and put that microwave to use lol to give you some hope. I'm now a nurse practitioner and married, but when I was in nursing school I was a newly divorced mother of a 2 yr old baby on hospice. I gained a lot of weight in nursing school b/c i worked at appledbee's, so money was tight, so I ate where I got a discount, and DUH, I was already there. take it one day at a time. you are a mom and will be a nurse soon. I promise, you CAN do this! microwave. frozen dinners. yogurt. easy.....good luck!!!! :-)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Check this site.

Its written by someone who feeds a family of 4 on $50 per week.
    There are planned daily menus and recipes too for every week.
    I found it on pinterest and I think its awesome. She does all the hard work of figuring things out for you and all you have to do is follow the plan.
    There're about 34 weeks' worth of menus and detailed grocery lists AND recipes for all 3 meals of the day.

http://www.grocerybudget101.com/content.php/8-menus
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Don't "Find Time"... MAKE TIME
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your situation. I have 3 kids, work full-time and each of my kids are involved in activities and my husband's job also keeps him busy. I'm not in school but I do go to my fitness classes 4 times a week and I'm always rushing in the kitchen to find some quick but healthy meals. What I've learned is that as long as you have some green veggies and meat (baked, broiled, not fried) your good. You can have salmon or anytype of fish with salad, cooked spinach, broccoli, etc. Also, baked chicken or even steak. It doesn't take that long and actually eating healthier doesn't require so much work. Just a quick steam on your veggies (I use frozen) and baking the meat in the oven and you have a full course meal. You can even use the crockpot, which is just throwing things in a bowl, or cook all your meats on your down time and freeze them for the week. But stay away from alot of frozen dinners, some if not most are packed with alot of sodium and we all know that that does to us.

I know its tough with kids and you feel like your juggling too many different things but you can make it work. Esp if you make it a priority and act as if you have no choice!!

I pray that everything works out for you.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Invest in a crock pot and cook up healthy meals in it. It does the work for you over the day and you can get multiple meals out of one crock pot full of food. Go and try skinnytaste.com for recipes. Great website. Also look up Healthy crock pot meals on the web. I cook in bulk a lot and keep veggies cut up and available. Frozen veggies are a great time saver as well. And you can throw them in the crockpot with your meat just before walking out the door.
    Also make the time for yourself. Even if it is the time you spend prepping and portioning food for the week. It is still time for you. Put some music on, bounce around the kitchen. The kids can dance around and have fun doing it.

Good luck!
  • Balsam1951
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and my nurse nutritionist told me to gage each meal at 45 grams of carbs, about 20 carbs for snacks. She suggested 2000 calories and I'm losing weight steadily. Know your stressed out but for your health is most important is your to be able to do all the rest. Make it a priority.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!