Runners...am I the only one?

Options
So, I've been running of and on for a while, but I have a 10k in October, so I've gotten my crap together an been running regularily.

My question is: Am I the only when running that sounds like I'm killing myself? When I run by people on the trail, I try to control my breathing, but I totally sound like I'm out of breath, but I'm just trying to keep a steady breathing tempo. I almost feel embarassed, but when others run by me, I don't really hear their breathing, so I figure they probably can't hear mine either.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    two words: SLOW DOWN!

most of your running should be at a "conversational pace" such that you can talk while you running with little or no huffing and puffing
  • Didiandeverytang
    Didiandeverytang Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Believe me...I'm running slow. Even when I ran alot, I never held any sort of conversation to begin with. If I ran any slower, I'd be walking.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    So, I've been running of and on for a while, but I have a 10k in October, so I've gotten my crap together an been running regularily.

My question is: Am I the only when running that sounds like I'm killing myself? When I run by people on the trail, I try to control my breathing, but I totally sound like I'm out of breath, but I'm just trying to keep a steady breathing tempo. I almost feel embarassed, but when others run by me, I don't really hear their breathing, so I figure they probably can't hear mine either.

Best way to fix this is to wear headphones. I find that if I don't do this I fixate on my labored breathing the entire run - which isn't fun. I'm also flat-footed and tend to plod. If you ever hear Frankenstein's Monster approaching from behind (assuming you're running slowly) it is probably just me...and, yes, I'm fine.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    There's a guy that I see at all the races. Whenever we pass each other, he always makes an "uuuuhhhhhh" sound when he exhales.

The first time I passsed him I thought he was falling out. The next race I realized this is how he is. I guess it's a timing thing for him or something.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nope not the only one. I always sound like I'm dying when I run...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm a loud breather too.

It doesn't really bother me, but I do think about it when I'm passing people.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The question is......how do you feel when you're running? Are you short of breath? Breathing rapidly etc?
  • Didiandeverytang
    Didiandeverytang Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nah....it's nice and controlled, it just doesn't sound like it is :laugh:
  • Gaz4088
    Gaz4088 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What that guy said. Take things a bit easier.

But...

If you're like me and keen to push yourself (having that 10K in mind), I found it best try to find a pace where you're able to string a sentence together, but not talk continuously.
    If you get bored of the same pace and feel like having a blast and getting out of breath, read up on interval training. If there's any hills in your upcoming 10K, it will serve you well.
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest....I find myself breathing heavy and not being self-conscious about it because all my peers tend to wear headphones. Its when i stumble across someone who isn't wearing headphones that i become insanely self-conscious and try to monitor my breahting until i pass him/her.

Sounds crazy, I know.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    I have no idea this is happening (because I blast my music), but my boyfriend says when I'm running I sound like I'm wheezing and about to die. So, you are not the only one! and I'm pretty slow, too (about 9 min mile).
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I sound like I'm in labor. I breath in two times through my nose and out two times through my mouth. It's a little trick that helps keep me breathing and keeps me going at a steady pace. I wear headphones, so I don't hear it, and as far as other people hearing me, I don't really care...My motto with all running is I don't care what other people think, I'm out running and that's all that matters. Enjoy your run :)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    i breath audibly too when I'm running... even when I'm in shape.
    I just change it slightly to match the cadence I'm thinking in my head (since I'm not going to sing it out loud) and ignore the occasional odd look.

and yes I'm running fast for jogging.. and no i cant slow down. lol.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If my husband ever slows down to where I am running, he always tries to give me water and asks if I need to walk for a minute. I tell him I'm fine, I always sound like an obese buffalo having a heart attack when I run.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nah....it's nice and controlled, it just doesn't sound like it is :laugh:

then no problem, keep on running!