I NEED HELP!!

Options
I am new to watching calories and dieting. How important is staying with the reccomended Calories?

Replies

• sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Very much! Calories in vs. Calories out=weight loss!
  • leannaellis
    leannaellis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just remember it is just as important to watch what kind of calories you are taking in.
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Critical. Its what makes this whole thing work. Furthermore, people I have known who had trouble losing weight on here either weren't eating the recommended amount (sometimes over, frequently under), or were not being accurate/honest about what they were eating. I have experienced this myself. And once you decide to fudge the numbers here or there, you have lost the battle, and need to get back to reality. That's the challenge and the victory, in a nutshell.
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Just remember it is just as important to watch what kind of calories you are taking in.

Absolutely, excellent point. It is so much easier to control hunger (not to mention a whole lot more healthy) on whole grains and quality protein than on highly processed stuff and sugar. I eat a lot of whole grain, unsweetened cereals, and not just for breakfast. It makes a huge difference. I like Kashi products, but there are others just as good. I am not any kinda hand at cooking, so I eat a lot of frozen dinners as well: Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc. With these you really have to watch the sodium though; some frozen meals have a ton of sodium.
  • tkain
    tkain Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is important to count your calories. If you don't eat fewer calories than you burn, you won't lose weight. So, what are you taking in? I Also like to watch my portion sizes - Measure, measure, measure, so I know exactly how many calories I am consuming. I Read nutrition lables so I can become familiar with single serving sizes. I eat every three-four hours and I don't skip meals!! MFP is a great tool for keep track of your food intake and it makes you realize exactly how many calories you actually consume in one day. Good Luck! :wink:
  • Teecald
    Options
    Thanks too all! This is a great site for my journey!!:laugh:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi There.
    I echo what everyone else said- plus- if you go to Message Boards and click "General Weight Loss Help" there are several posts with a pushpin beside them that are great for folks just starting out or have some info that members have found to be essential or just really very helpful. Good luck!

(Edited for clarity)
  • Teecald
    Options
    Thanks!! How do I find that?
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I just edited my old post- if doesn't change over let me know and I'll post better directions.

Thanks! (and sorry about the confusion.):smile:
  • Teecald
    Options
    I found it! Thanks