12,000 budget for a car

Options
kikiboniki
kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
hey there, i have a 12,000 budget for a car, would like to stay around 8,000 if possible. I want something simple that gets great gas mileage. what years/ models do you suggest.... or NOT suggest.

thanks friends.

Replies

• _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Automatic or manual? Two door or four door? Two wheel drive or all wheel drive? Gas or diesel?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Anything Honda, Toyota is usually a good idea and gets great gas mileage. Obviously the "smaller" the engine, the better the gas mileage. There are some 6 cylinder cars that get better gas mileage, but you'd be better off with a 4 cylinder if you can.

If you can get your hands on a Consumer Reports book, that'll be your best bet. I really recommend these books. Might be able to pick them up at the library.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    A few quick questions for you: 1) any kids/large pets? 2) What climate type do you live in (really snowy in the winter?) 3) Are there any style of cars that you just hate?
  • _the_feniks_
    Options
    Or she could just ask a man and save her money. :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I drove a 2002 Civic until I crashed it and now I have a 2002 Camry. Both are fantastic and I love them, though the Corolla is better on gas than the Camry (which is fantastic on highway and not so much city).

They're old and high mileage, but run like tanks, so they'll last and are about the price range you're looking, though you may have to haggle a bit..
  • kikiboniki
    Options
    good questions,
    i'm single, no pets, live in southern california. would prefer 4 door, but 2 door is fine. automatic
  • kikiboniki
    Options
    I drove a 2002 Civic until I crashed it and now I have a 2002 Camry. Both are fantastic and I love them, though the Corolla is better on gas than the Camry (which is fantastic on highway and not so much city).

They're old and high mileage, but run like tanks, so they'll last and are about the price range you're looking, though you may have to haggle a bit..

i'm actually researching 2002 civics!
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The newer Hyundai's have really good ratings and are inexpensive.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The newer Hyundai's have really good ratings and are inexpensive.

I have an 03 Hyundai Sonata (4 doors, automatic) that I got for 9000 a few years ago. I still really love it.
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I would suggest is make sure it is 2008 or newer. I know that may limit your search but 2008's and newer require side airbags. You can pick up a newer Ford Focus for that price or even some Toyota's. I would stay away from Dodge they don't do small cars or good mpg very well. When I was looking I found a 2011 Hyundai Elantra for 14K that was back in Jan of this year. So maybe see if you can find one of those. They are a great car. I actually decided on the Optima only because the car seats wouldn't fit in the Elantra.
  • rml_16
    Options
    The only thing that I would suggest is make sure it is 2008 or newer. I know that may limit your search but 2008's and newer require side airbags. You can pick up a newer Ford Focus for that price or even some Toyota's. I would stay away from Dodge they don't do small cars or good mpg very well. When I was looking I found a 2011 Hyundai Elantra for 14K that was back in Jan of this year. So maybe see if you can find one of those. They are a great car. I actually decided on the Optima only because the car seats wouldn't fit in the Elantra.

My 2002s both have side airbags.
  • rml_16
    Options

i'm actually researching 2002 civics!

It was a fantastic car. I drove it for 10 years. I will say the transmission went around 120K, but that is the only repair (outside of maintenance) it ever needed, so when I did the math, it was worth the price. I'd still drive that car if I hadn't totaled it. :-( I like the Camry, too, though. It's bigger.
  • _the_feniks_
    Options
    Mazda 3 or 2.
    Toyota Corolla or Yaris.
    Hyundai Elantra or Sonata.

I'd start with a Mazda 3 and go from there. I personally don't like Honda but they make really good, incredibly boring cars.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Ford Fusion
  • greenbox06
    greenbox06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

My 2002s both have side airbags.

Yeah some models do but all manufactures were required to make it standard in 2008. Of they can just find one that does have it. :smile:
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Mazda 3 or 2.
    Toyota Corolla or Yaris.
    Hyundai Elantra or Sonata.

I'd start with a Mazda 3 and go from there. I personally don't like Honda but they make really good, incredibly boring cars.

^^^ Agreed. The Mazda3 Hatch is what I want, they are SUPER cute, and well made. The Elantra and Sonata are both really nice (Sonata's are more expensive) but both are really nice on the inside.

My budget is around yours and I've find quite a few Mazda3, Corolla and Elantras that fit in my budget.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My parents always had luck with Nissans.
    They've never had an actual problem with them and they used to travel 3 hours / 5 days a week.

Right now they have a 2008 Nissan Sentra and it still runs great.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    good questions,
    i'm single, no pets, live in southern california. would prefer 4 door, but 2 door is fine. automatic

Before I had children i had a VW Beetle convertible. I live in the UK, so not sure how much one of those would cost 2nd hand in the US. Sounds like a good car for southern California though!

VWs are good cars though.

I've got a Vauxhall Zafira now, with 2 child seats! I miss my Beetle!
  • kikiboniki
    Options
    went to the bank, budget is down to 7000.

found a 2002 honda accord with 38,000 miles for 6999, going to look at it tonight!
  • rml_16
    Options
    went to the bank, budget is down to 7000.

found a 2002 honda accord with 38,000 miles for 6999, going to look at it tonight!

That's a fantastic deal. Is it a dealer? If it's off Craig's List, it may be too good to be true. I just got done using CL to find a car for my daughter and I have some stories!