HRM or Fitbit ?

Options
Hi Everyone

I need to track my activity calories better. Which one do you use/recommend, HRM or Fitbit?

Thanks
Sarika

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you want to better track your ACTIVITY calories, get an HRM. If you want to better track your DAILY calories get a fitbit.

They do not do the same thing. They are not interchangeable. An HRM you only wear during activities. A fitbit you wear all day.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    a fitbit is merely a glorified pedometer
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I will say, though, that I do wear my FitBit during my workouts. It may not be 100% accurate, but it works for me.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    If most of your calories are burned through walking or running, a fitbit. If you do other activities like gym or classes or riding a bike etc, a HRM. I have both :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    HRM all the way. Only use it for tracking dedicated work out time.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fitbit !!! I hate any HRM I tried including Polar
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Um... I guess it wouldn't be at all helpful to you to say that I have both? And love them both equally in different ways?
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    HRM for tracking anything other than walking or running, otherwise a Fitbit will be fine.

I have both and use the HRM when I'm doing Tae Kwon Do or Jiujitsu, and even then I'm still wearing my Fitbit. Check out the Fitbit users group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have both. I like my HRM, Polar FT4. I searched, researched, read reviews etc. Polar was a good one and not really really expensive. So far works good and tells me what I wanted to know. Now when walking I make sure I get my heart rate up into my "zone" more. Have to really move and move my arms to do it. Never thought I would go from barely able to walk 10 minutes to now doing a minimum of an hour a day and with hills. The fitbit is a glorified pedometer is you ask me and an expensive one. Yes it connects to this website but... I really like my Sportline 308 snapshot. It tracks my steps, cals, miles, time, and pace. It is super easy and right now Amazon has it for $13. So now I track total steps with that and use the Polar to track my heart rate and zone. I've been doning between 15,000 and 20,000 steps aday. MFP has changed my life and my husband. Take this from an over 60 couple. I felt so old before but now that I have lost over 50 pounds, husband too, we are able to do so much more. NO pills anymore, life is good. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I have both-I use my HRM when I'm working out and I wear my Fitbit the rest of the time. A HRM is not the same as a fitbit at all. A HRM will tell you more (mine tells me lap time, calories burned, number of laps, pace, ect) while my fitbit would tell me steps and calories-yet the calories are never true when compared to my HRM or any of the running apps I have on my phone
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I use both. I use the Fitbit all day, but put on the Polar FT4 HRM during structured activity and over-write the Fitbit burn for that period of time. Fitbit is helpful to learn what your activity level is, too. I wasn't sure whether I should be set at sedentary or lightly active, or whatever. After a couple weeks using it, I can see my average estimated burn for most days and it makes choosing my calorie goal a lot easier!
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump to save
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    BOTH! They're both great tools for different reasons. The FitBit is a great way to track your overall activity level each day and how restless you are or aren't at night, but the HRM gives you an accurate way to determine how many calories you burn during your workouts.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Personally I have both. The HRM is going to be more accurate. I think the FitBit calculates too many calories burned. I only use it when doing some time of aerobic activity to track my steps. If I am doing weights or any other exercise I use the HRM.
  • sionnain
    sionnain Posts: 96
    Options
    I use both. My Fitbit for day-to-day walking, in addition to a HRM when I'm exercising. Things like horseback riding, swimming, strength training, bicycling, and roller derby cannot be measured by the Fitbit.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM :)
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I got both, keep my Fitbit on all day every day, HRM when exercising
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I intend on getting both ....
  • debobrien1
    Options
    Bump....
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you really want to accomplish and it also depends on you. For example, I take medication that slows my heart rate. So, an HRM in my own case is not particularly accurate. You can use both. But they're not the same thing. The Fitbit is pretty much just a pedometer. It also does ok on a bike or stationary bike and some aerobic moves and stairs. But for overall activity like weight training, it's worthless. For that, the HRM would be best. Or you could simply use MFP website numbers.

I've found that in many cases the HRM will give you more of a calorie burn that you really deserve. There just is no really accurate way to track activity calories. It's all an estimate.

So if you'd tell us exactly what you want to accomplish, perhaps folks here could be of more help.