Hate to exercise?

Options
This is probably pretty controversial on a fitness webpage, but if your goal is JUST weight loss and not overall fitness/health---rest assured that weight loss is almost ENTIRELY related to what you eat, rather than how much/how long/how hard you exercise. I'd say 90% diet and 10% exercise.

It is true that diet and exercise work hand in hand and that without both you're not maximizing results....BUT you can lose a good deal of weight by simply cutting calories.

The only reason I'm posting this is because I see so many posts about folks who hate to exercise and can't get motivated, blah blah blah...and I think the focus is too much on exercise and not enough on diet. Should you exercise? Of course. But it shouldn't be stopping you from losing weight.

Just something to chew on (nyuck nyuck nyuck)...

Replies

• BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose just by cutting cals, but you're not improving your health much in the long run, I dont think people "hate" to exercise, I think they are just too lazy to put forth the effort, so for those people, they need to find and exercise they like, it may take some trial and error, but they can find something they enjoy. I was one of those people, I still did some kind of exercise though because I know its important. Then I found DDPYoga, I dont think I'll ever do anything else, I love it!
  • mheath1293
    mheath1293 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose just by cutting cals, but you're not improving your health much in the long run, I dont think people "hate" to exercise, I think they are just too lazy to put forth the effort, so for those people, they need to find and exercise they like, it may take some trial and error, but they can find something they enjoy. I was one of those people, I still did some kind of exercise though because I know its important. Then I found DDPYoga, I dont think I'll ever do anything else, I love it!

Totally agree!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that hates exercise. With a passion. Really, I can't stand any form of exercise and have never felt better after a work out like everyone says happens to them. I do have really messed up hormones though, so maybe mine don't respond to exercise the way they should? I have no idea, I just know that I hate working out.

That said, I still do it. Right now I am just walking, but I figure that is better than nothing. I am reading the new rules of lifting for women right now though and plan to start that soon. Not looking forward to it, but whatever. LOL
  • liannecatherine
    liannecatherine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I hate it too, but I consider it a necessary evil. What I do is take my Kindle and get into a good book--the time flies! Just saying that lack of motivation to exercise shouldn't mean the end of weight loss altogether.

I also think some people work SO hard exercising but don't put as much effort into eatting better/less so they get frustrated and burned out. I was one of those people before I realized how very, very critical keeping an honest tab on calories can make all the difference.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I hate it too!!!! I literally have to say to myself every morning: "Can you do it just today? We can worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Can we just do it today?"

I look at this way. I hate it BUT... I do it because once it's done I feel better and I know I am one step closer to getting fit and improving my health overall. I have always felt and said it's a necessary evil .:devil: . I hope that one year from now ( I have a 1 year commitment to fitness...), it is just second nature, like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. I don't know that one year from now I will feel any different, but for now, I do at least 15 minutes everyday (well most days) to get me closer to the goals I have set for myself.

Glad to see I am in good company.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I loathe it too. But, I do it because when I am done---I do feel so much better.
  • RougeIllusion
    RougeIllusion Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty hard to believe that anyone could hate all exercise. If you don't like going to a gym or doing workout videos, use a little creativity and think of something else. Bike or walk outside, play tennis or volleyball or basketball. Take a zumba or pilates class. I mean there are so many different things you could do, you just have to give them a try.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise but I do it anyway. I pray someday I will enjoy it but it isn't looking promising. At my gym they tell you weight loss is 80% nutrition only 20% from exercising but if you want a nicely toned body exercise is a must. I also hate going to work everyday but it is a necessary evil too. In life there will always be thing we don't like or don't want to do but its just gotta be done.