New and totally confused

Options
Ok I may sound like an idiot but Idon't care I am so confused. I have always been told that to lose 1lb a week I need to cut 3500cal out of my weekly diet or 500 cal a day. So am I suppose to cut the 500 from my goal number? Or is that what I am suppose to be eating a day regardless of exercise? I have 2 boys a 4 year old and 2 year old and I am just trying to get healthy so I can play more easily with them. If I eat exactly my goal number will I lose weight? Can someone please explain things to me? Thank you

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Eat what the site tells you to eat. A deficit is already built in based on what weight loss goal you selected when setting up.

Ensure you selected the right weight loss goal (pounds per week) because the smaller you are the less you can lose each week safely.

If you don't exercise you will still lose weight ... when you exercise you add it in and it gives you more food.
  • nancyl36
    nancyl36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    google your BMR and add your calories burned during exercise, if you exercise, and then subtract 500 from that ... but dont go under 1200 a day. And stay away from carbs at night .
    http://weightlosssuccess.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-in-a-day/

Also check out - Jillian Micheal's podcast... she explains everything .
  • LuisaAdames
    Options
    Eat the amount of calories this site says to eat. You should lose weight if you stick to it. If you excercise, log the calories burned. You can eat those calories but others have suggested to eat back only half...
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When you set up your goals, MFP set the deficit for you. Stay within your allowance and you will lose.
  • cybercpa
    cybercpa Posts: 60
    Options
    If you were eating 1900 calories a day. Now cut back to 1400 calories per day. 1900 cal/day - 1400 cal/day = 500 cals/day less you are eating. I was really confused on how to enter all this stuff in MFP at first, too.

Using MFP and a fitbit I have lost 30 pounds since 5/26... I reset my goal every 20 pounds and I am halfway through the second two pounds. 20 pounds 5/26/12 -7/29/12. And now 10 more pounds lost 7/29/12 -8/23/12.

It really works and it gets easier to figure the site out after a couple weeks. Feel free to friend me...:flowerforyou:
  • marylou850
    Options
    Krista, I just answered the questions they asked when I set it up, and then eat the amount of calories it tells me to eat. I agree with the other post that says to only eat about half the calories you burn though. When I log any exercise and then eat all the extra calories I gain through it, I tend to not lose weight. Hope this works for you!
  • mpnaegle
    mpnaegle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, MaryLou! I was religiously on this site for a few weeks back in the spring, but life and stress got in the way (trying to find full-time work, my partner is very sick with Diabetes) but I'm determined to get back into shape. Unfortunately the stress has added poundage onto my mid-section :( so I'm trying to work it all off...I've also been diagnosed with pre-Diabetes so I have to lose this weight.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like, I think the more support we all have the better we'll all be.

Cheers,

Mark