I want to go higher protein/lower carb...

Options
What should my settings be? And how do I change them?

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Click my home at the top then click goals and at the bottom click change goals.

High protein low carb has its benefits for people who are doing intense exercising most of the week, but if you are NOT doing intense exercises then you would be wasting your caloric intake on things your body can't do anything with and not getting enough of what your body needs.

I have a 50% carb / 30% fat / 20% protein ratio and I have a light activity (day to day life) level. Of my 50% carbs, I will eat 25% veggies and 25% fruits. I spend NO calories on grains as they are anti-nutrients and are full of starches (dense sugars).

By going 50/30/20 I am finally taking off inches on my waist section after losing 60 lbs on 55/30/15. Play around with it until you find what works and gets the results you want.
  • LAWSBIGGAL
    Options
    Hmmm...I hadn't really thought of that. Makes sense. Thanks!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    There's some conflicting ideas out there on what your body really needs and what it doesn't. I do know that you can make glucose from protein and fats (gluconeogenesis), but can't make protein or amino acids out of carbohydrates. So while you need a certain level of protein in your diet, you don't actually need to take in much in the way of carbs besides fiber. Veggies are fantastic for you, so keep eating those, but going high on protein helps spare muscle while dieting. I have a strong family history of diabetes, so my doctor recommended staying low-ish on carbs for me. That's just according to my reading and experience, YMMV. Good luck to you.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Different people will give you different advice.

For me a low carb, high fat/protein diet works wonders. Not just for weight loss but for optimal health. I'm not overly active, but it does take lots of energy to move around a big body. I have to be low carb to fend off hunger, food addictions, and binging. I was also pre-diabetic before eliminating grains/legumes/sugar. I even limit fruit because I get the same micronutrients without the fructose from vegetables.

My macros are 65 fat, 25 protein, and 10 carb. My carbs mostly come from vegetables, and I eat lots of them. I focus on healthy foods imo, but have some limitations due to living in a very isolated community. My diary is open, have a look anytime.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!