I'm eating too much Protein?

Replies

• Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    I was wondering about that too and looked around on the internet.
    apparently, the recommended intake of protein is 0.8g per kilogram of body mass, given that the energy the body needs is otherwise given.
    MFP settings are lower than that.

Also, on MFP, given that we usually go for a calorie deficit, i'd say it's better to be over in protein if you stay within your calorie intake... Don't worry about that

This.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    as long as your not *plugged up you are good to go* if you are then decrease protein or eat more fiber ;-)
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    cut back unless you wanna get all bulky and muscular lolz

Not This.
  • TheNewLeslie
    TheNewLeslie Posts: 44 Member
    You can change your settings for the percentage of carbs/fat/protein. Just go under "Goals" and then "change settings".

I currently have mine set at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.

I used to think I was somehow eating too much protein (as a vegetarian?!?!?!?), but now that I have my macros set correctly, I see that I'm actually a little below goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member

Not This.

They were joking, notice the lolz
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    extra protein will never hurt! :bigsmile:

I try to eat at least 120grams of protein a day!
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    I've read a lot about how if you're active and a guy, about a gram of protein for every pound you weigh.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    I try to keep my carbs to around a 100g per day, so based on my calories I have my goals set at 25% carbs, 40% protein and 35% fat. So you should be alright as long as you are staying within your calorie goals.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member

Not This.

They were joking, notice the lolz

thx .... :D really wanted to tell them to read the other 4,514 threads about "Am I eating too much protein" but I was too lazy to type all that just like they where too lazy to use the SEARCH button
  • cb1266
    cb1266 Posts: 1 Member
    After water, protein is one of the most important nutrients your body needs. Especially if you are doing high intesity workouts after your body depletes the carbohydrates supply it moves to protein but you don't want your body to tap into the protein. So it's important you try to get as much protein as you can. I have protein in every meal and aim for at least 100 grams. You won't bulk up unless you intentially try by doing heavy weight lifting. Women's bodies are not built to bulk up ny means of protein consumption.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Protein is a VERY good thing to have....Aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight or 1.5 grams per pound of lean mass. MFP calculates low on protein - I go over every day. It also helps you to feel full longer & helps you keep the muscle that you do have. :happy:
  • I am so glad i found this post because i am having the same problem! My fat, calorie and carb intake are great. But I just finished lunch and my protein is at 0! It's not even dinner time yet. But i do agree with other people's replies that too much protein is not a bad thing at all! When i went to medical assisting school.. i think i even did a research paper on nutrition, might have to pull that back up and read it again!
    I will tell you what though, i am loving using a food diary! I never have and this fitness pal thing is awesome! In just a 4 days of doing this, i feel awesome!!!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Check out this article. It will help you to chill out about the protein. Many of us eat higher protein to lose more weight. The ending summary is to do about 120 a day, if I remember right. But read it through.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss

This keeps coming up and I keep posing it for folks... so maybe I'll go do a blanket post on protein.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Most likely not, MFP levels for protein are way low! I try to eat more than my daily protein allowance. Protein is good for you!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    I never get enough-- I would gladly take some of yours.
  • I'm a vegetarian and even I go over the protein sometimes! So I wouldn't worry too much.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    protein makes you hawt. true story.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    I aim for at least 100g of protein a day. Most days I get a lot more than that. Protein is good for you!
  • REALBIGBATBASTARD
    REALBIGBATBASTARD Posts: 103 Member
    this is a setup
  • Seems like everyone agrees that the MFP recommendations for protein are way too low. I set mine at 60%, which works out at 250grams per day. Important if you lift weights.