Excercise Calories - Just a simple Yes or No answer required

Options

Replies

• neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    yes, but adjust according to your weight loss. Start out eating back a conservative amount. If you exceed your weight loss goals then eat more. If you don't lose, eat less.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Yes.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Either eat them back, or calculate them in by raising your activity level to "lightly active". Either way, make sure you fuel your body, you'll feel much better!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I say YES!!

I have lost 4st 9lb / 65 lb since October eating my ex calories back

my current intake is 1500 and can burn on average 600 - 1000 cal a session, so I need the extra calories for growth & repair etc...
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The key is to never let your calorie deficit exceed 1000 a day to keep from catabolizing your muscles for fuel. I excercise a lot (800-1500 calories a day) and eat back about half of it. This way I can eat 2200-3000 calories and still have a a 500-700 calorie deficit
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    some, not all
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As you can see, there is no black and white answer! If you eat back the calories, you want to be fairly certain that the calorie allowance for the exercise is accurate. It appears that a heart rate monitor is the best way to get an accurate count. Many people on these boards have said that, for the most part, MFP is very generouse with the amount of calories that they assign to exercise. I don't have a heart rate monitor, so I take the middle path--eat about half of the exercise calories that MFP gives me, as long as I feel hungry.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Yes, but I don't.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I do so my vote is yes, and yes I'm losing weight eating my exercise calories (make sure your count is accurate, buy a HRM).
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    yes
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maybe. I don't know about everyone else but I try to eat up the calories for smaller burns, maybe 300 - 400 and under. Once I'm above that, I usually am under. BUT my BMR is at 1900 so, I have a lot of wiggle room.
  • MiChaChelle
    MiChaChelle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    absolutely!!
  • rusialeelee
    Options
    I don't eat them back. I always net somewhere between 800-1200cal though. sometimes even 1400cal (rarely)-- when I don't feel up for exercising-usually cause of TOM.

I've lost 20 lbs in the last less than 3 months.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble eating 1200 calories. i eat everything as much as i can and still short....at least i buried moms "you need a gastric bypass" theory.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find that on 1200 calories a day plus exercise, you'll stall-out on your weight loss. I think that's the point where you should figure out your TDEE and be eating that amount -- you can look-up a formula online and figure out what that number is.
  • misao1994
    Options
    I say no. Do not eat your exercise calories, it's counter productive to burn calories to then eat them back.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    Yes.
    However, I will warn you that MFP and exercise machines tend to overestimate calories. If you don't have a fancy schmancy device to give you a more accurate reading (it's okay, I don't either), then just be somewhat conservative.

But in theory, YES to eating back exercise calories. Always yes.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Flex calories, eat them if I am hungry, but otherwise try to avoid them.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you are burning more than 500 calories a day - YES, eat them or at least a large portion of them back.

Caveat - if you use MFP calorie burns - don't eat more than 1/2 of them back. In my experience MFP is way too generous with the amount of calories they say a person burns - if you'd eat them all back you may be consuming far more calories than you think.