Coffee Lovers

Options
I'm confused about coffee. I used to go to nutriologist back in 2007 when I was very overweight and lost 30 pounds. Anyways, she said I could drink decaf but just one cup per day with splenda. I read articles that say coffee is bad since it makes you gain weight then some say its good because it accelerates your metabolism. They even have 100% green bean coffee as dietary supplements. Does somebody know about this? I have become a coffee lover since I started interning full-time this past four months so I need to know the truth! hehe

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    There will be conflicting research everywhere you go about anything you eat/drink. I can only speak from experience that coffee has actually helped me, especially with cravings. If I drink a cup of coffee (preferably with some - or a lot of - creamer), it'll keep me satisfied for a few hours, which is more than I can say for a solid breakfast. That's just me though.

I don't see how it would make you gain weight - I understand how the splenda could, but coffee not so much.

I say if you like coffee, drink coffee.

:)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • JessFehr
    JessFehr Posts: 27
    Options
    I am not addicted to coffee but I like my coffee!:smile: I have at least one cup a day.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Science is just conclusions based on research. It can have varying answers.

I drink coffee, couldn't function without it. The only reason I cut back is b/c I put real sugar in my coffee, so I drink less to consume less sugar.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    coffee is a diuretic
  • carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of coffee (several-to-many cups per day) and have all the way through my weight loss process.

When I started losing weight I took milk in my coffee and thought that was non-negotiable. I dutifully counted the calories in the milk I used. Eventually, as I got closer to a healthy weight, I was looking for ways to shave calories out of my diet and decided to try to learn to drink coffee black. Turns out that if the coffee is good quality, made with clear-tasting water in a clean coffee maker, I really love black coffee. So I saved myself about 150 calories a day that way.

I haven't taken sugar in my coffee for 20 years so I didn't have to worry about that.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee, and its suppose to help prevent some cancers, I drink regular, and either black or with splenda french vanilla flavor, I used to drink a pot a day, but now I only drink about 1/2 a pot a day 2 to 3 days a week
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    atleast a pot a day and I will not give it up LOVE MY COFFEE :drinker:
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've heard conflicting reports on coffee and how it affects weight loss.

Personally I didn't stop drinking coffee throughout my weight loss journey. In fact, I've probably increased my coffee intake throughout the years. Now I drink it with heavy cream since I've adopted the low carb lifestyle. Hold the sugar please. :tongue:

Between the coffee, tea, and preworkout shake (Cellucor M5 Extreme if you care to know), I probably have loads of caffeine throughout the day. I don't believe this has lead to any weight gain for me. Of course YMMV.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've heard coffee is good, bad, and neutral. Frankly, I don't care. I drink Keurig coffee; low in cals. I cut back on my sugar and milk and basically drink it black anymore. I cut back from 10 cups a day (!) to one, maybe two. Coffee is the one thing that helps me ward off migraines.

With anything, moderation is key.

... I miss my many cups a day, though. :( However, the main reason I got back is because of leg cramps while exercising. XD

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    atleast a pot a day and I will not give it up LOVE MY COFFEE :drinker:

You and I are on the SAME PAGE!!! I drink a vat of coffee a day. :drinker:
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    It's the additional **** people add to it.
    BLACK is the way to go:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    This will vary person to person. There are some pros and cons to coffee. (Just like there is for every other decision we make in this world) If you are struggling with high blood pressure, a doctor will tell you not to drink coffee. Coffee also becomes an addiction, but if I need a spike in energy, fruit is full of natural sugars. Peanut butter and honey is also a good source of energy. This is truly for you to decide. No one knows your body like you do. Just keep in mind that calories add up quickly in flavored creams and milk. And it's important to still drink LOTS of water! :-)
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    I drink a cup every morning. Never had any problems losing weight because of it... don't think it speeds up the weightloss either... but its yummy! :)
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    ALL things in moderation. AND stick to natural products as much as possible (i.e. decalf is generally chemically treated to take out the naturally occuring caffine, and splenda...well just put a little sugar in if you need too...I've been trying to wean myself off of sugar in coffee altogether from 2 sugars down to 1/2 tsp now...)
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 cups a day. I use splenda, cinnamon and 1% milk so it is pretty low cal. I have not really heard it being bad for you, epecially in moderation.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's dangerous to my health to drink it, but I know it's potentially dangerous to other people's health when I don't! :bigsmile: There's conflicting research and the story changes every day, but there's nothing compelling enough so far to make me give up my coffee.
  • sarahx_17
    sarahx_17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Coffee contains caffeine, which in moderate amounts can increase your metabolic rate. Make sure you buy organic though, as it is a heavily sprayed crop and is usually laden with pesticides
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I never get sick of these coffee posts, just like I never get sick of coffee.

I couldn't tell you the last time I went a day without drinking coffee. The only bad side effect I get with coffee sometimes is that I can get really dehydrated and lightheaded if I don't drink water to replace the fluids I lost (coffee is a diuretic).

It's true for me that coffee enhances performance. If I go for a run in the morning, I drink some coffee first and there's a noticeable difference than if I had not drank any.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee nearly every day myself. Hot, iced, don't matter. I just limit my intake to two. Any more than that and I get the shakes, I'm a little sensitive to caffeine. As for the "coffee is bad for you/coffee is good for you/coffee is neutral" crap out there, I just don't listen. If coffee was that bad for me, I'd probably be in the hospital now. And my friend in Ontario, who drinks about 8 of Tim Horton's largest size (or Starbucks, you get the drift, the LARGEST size) would be dead. If coffee were that bad, they wouldn't have it out there for us to drink. :noway: