Mio liquid water enhancer

Options

Replies

• chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't use it since it has sucralose in it. Anything that is artificially made is not good for you. I just put a large wedge of lemon in mine.
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    I drink it almost everyday and I love it. I think its very tasty and it makes me feel very awake. I haven't seen anything bad about it yet.
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love it!! I even give it to my kids instead of juice. I buy the 3 packs from sams.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't use it since it has sucralose in it. Anything that is artificially made is not good for you. I just put a large wedge of lemon in mine.

Are you sure that anything that is artificially made is not good for you? What about insulin that diabetics take?
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow can all you Americans send up some cool new flavours to me? (I am assuming it's the Americans that have so many flavours, because they had Mi0 before us.

We only have Berry-Pomegranate, Peach-Mango, Strawberry-Watermelon and Fruit Punch here! I would LOVE to try some of the new flavours! Sooo jelaous!

BTW I drink Mi0 all day, except when I work out. If I am working out I drink just plain water. I think the flavour might make me feel a bit ill while working out.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    I use it and love it
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, artificial sweeteners are bad. So I stick with plain water.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    my husband loves that stuff. it's most likely like vitamin water zero or crystal light. too much of anything is bad for you, including water. sooooooo just use it in moderation???
  • frankensteen
    frankensteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bought some this summer and I love it! When you're trying to cut out all sugary drinks, it's nice to have something sweet and refreshing every once in a while.

As for whether or not it's "bad" - is it sweetened with aspartame? I know you have to be careful with artificial sweeteners like this. Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you're having it in moderation.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Google Splenda Toxicity. It's real and it happened to me.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use it sometimes. I dont feel like it gives me any energy or anything...it is just a taste....
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I recently bought some berry pomegranate. To me, although I DO use sucralose (Splenda), it tasted terribly like artificial sweetener. I won't be using the rest of it. I bought it to enhance the flavor of some diet pomegranate tea. I like my water plain anyway.
  • cfmay
    cfmay Posts: 19
    Options
    I drink it a lot as well. I have a bad feeling some report will come out one day saying there is something bad because 0 of everything seems too good to be true.

That being said I have used it and continue to use it and it hasn't impeded weight loss in any way.

I HAVE THAT SAME FEAR!!! :O)
  • kr1ssy23
    kr1ssy23 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used to use it but now I dont...I actually came across another forum about this. One of the ingredients in the MIO is used for everyday things such as brake fluid, etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232264-mio-water-enhancer-warning
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a flavor water technique, and I love it!

1 pitcher

2 sliced apples

2 whole cinnamon sticks

and 1 orange

put all ingrediants in the pitcher, fill with water and let sit in fridge for about 2 hrs. Serve over ice! Great alternative for plain water, and it is supposed to be a natural metabolism booster!

(you could use any fruit combo you wanted, and I refilled my pitcher at least twice with the same fruit:)

Hope that helps

That sounds GREAT! I've gotta try this recipe!

I will say I LOVE MiO; however, the wasted plastic container as well as the questionable ingredients have me cautious about it. I'm not saying I won't use it, but just that I'm researching better alternatives.

So far my favorite alternative: mix 3 Tbsp of pure sugar with a cup of hot water and let it dissolve. Then add that to a pitcher of cold water until you reach 2 quarts; drop 9 frozen strawberries in the bottom (they blend with the water quicker than fresh strawberries) and let it sit in the frig for a while. According to MFP recipe calculator, this means there are only 10 calories in each 8 oz glass of this sweet little "Strawberry Water" that you can drink all day long to get your 64 oz. Two out of my three little ones approve; I myself LOVE it!

Our next experiment: letting slices of watermelon soak in the bottom of a pitcher. I also suspect oranges would be good. The little bit of sugar doesn't add enough calories per glass to throw off my diet, but the flavor is just right for me to suck it down! I may try subbing some honey instead of sugar. The key is dissolving it in the hot water before adding it to the cold to get a good blend.

I got these ideas from the Prodyne Fruit Infusion Pitcher reviews; I want that pitcher, but i live on an island and they don't sell them here, so this is my alternative. The pitcher would probably have less residue in your drink, but you can always just strain it as you're pouring it.

It's not as much work as it sounds, but I still may use MiO around here once in a while when I'm lazy or out of frozen fruits. :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I used to use it but now I dont...I actually came across another forum about this. One of the ingredients in the MIO is used for everyday things such as brake fluid, etc.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232264-mio-water-enhancer-warning

Yeah, it's the water...
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I used to put it in every glass of water I drank, it seemed to good to be true. Then I realized that the main ingredient, propylene glycol is used in non toxic antifreeze. It's not the same as ethylene glycol, which will kill you, but um.... if it goes in a car engine it does NOT need to be in my body.

Plus I think it made my already bad headaches worse.
  • cindyboylan
    cindyboylan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Besides the artificial sugars it contains the following: propylene glycol
    Definition
    pro·pyl·ene gly·colNOUN
    1. thick colorless liquid antifreeze: a colorless thick sweet-tasting liquid. Source: propylene. Use: antifreeze in brake fluid, solvent, lubricant. C3H8O2.
    Probably not good to drink!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I love Mio and I think most of the flavours are great.

One of the things I like best about it is that it allows me to easily regulate how much flavour to put in my water. I don't want the strong taste most of the time. Just a hint of flavour.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That is a common misunderstanding MIO has propylene glycol which a common food addititive and is safe, Antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol which is very harmful.