what did you eat like before MFP?

Options

Replies

• Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I ate healthy foods, but WAY TOO MUCH! And when I didn't eat healthy, I thought they were healthy, but of course, just b/c something says low carb/low fat/low cal/vegan, doesn't mean it's good for you or you could eat the whole thing lol.

One of my BIGGEST issues was Ramen Noodles. On a good day I'd eat one pack (2 servings), but mostly I would eat 2 (4 SERVINGS!) I knew it was wrong b/c I read the labels, but I excused it by only using 1 seasoning packet instead of both (SMH).

I've now decided to let go of Ramen noodles. I use Kelp noodles instead when I want something like Ramen.

Honestly, MFP was a total eye opener. I used it just to see what it was like, now it's part of my life and I love it!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Cooking is my passion, I didn't eat fast food but boy did I cook big! I would make my own pasta, ravioli and cheesecakes. I baked batches of fresh bread every other day and all my sauces we made with heavy cream. Now I poach, grill and roast, no more bread, pasta or cream sauces.

THIS!!! I LOVE to cook! Butter was pretty much a food group at my house, I used it in everything! Heavy cream too. We would also dine out a lot. I was also a carb-aholic! I love bread, cereal, pasta, potatoes, cookies, cake, you name it! I still eat a good amount of carbs, but not nearly as many as I used to.

We now eat fresh veggies everyday and lean meats. The broiler is my new favorite thing! I try to consume the most carbs in the morning, so they have plenty of time to burn off! We very rarely have a starch with dinner.

We also are working out 4-6 days a week (at least I am). I am running my very first 5K on Saturday!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thu 08/23/12 04:41 PM
    I ate.......very healthy though not necessarily what y'all call "clean". Being diabetic I knew to avoid pure sugar and of course I tried to limit the sinful foods (LOL) like pastas, breads and potatoes.

However when the mood would strike I would do 3 of my favorites (not all in the same week!!)
    One was velveeta shells and cheese with diced tomatoes added--OMG I love this stuff but refuse to even taste it now because I KNOW I cant behave with it
    Two..boiled potatoes with brown gravy w/meat added to it. Again.......I refuse to keep the ingredients in the house because I wont behave and eat SOME.............I'll binge on it
    Three....gut bombs.......OMG I love a gut bomb with every thing possible on it...toasted buns, cheese, onions, pickles, ketchup and mustard.

Most chubby people claim to not each much and Im no different. For the most part.........Im a lite eater though Id have my moments (ouch) My chubbiness came about over 2 things...total inactivity.....and the bigget reason for that inactivity was being busted up so badly so many times....especially growing up. Im loaded with titanium from my neck to my ankles.

My parents were extremely abusive and owing to that Ive had a broken back twice, my ankles have been broken 3 times each, I've had knees replaced and shoulders reconstructed and most recently a fractured neck from an accident with a loaded semi truck hitting me almost broadside pushing me down an exit ramp some 1000 feet.

Now Ive had surgeries to fix most of those things and the fact that I can still get around and work full time IS nothing shy of a miracle. So to workout for me is a huge thing. I feel like the QUEEN just being able to. Its absolutely nothing compared to what some of you people do. OMG I am in absolute awe when I see what you people do for workouts. I can only be envious.

But remember my new motto:

"Im not a Princess damnit...I dont need saving............Im a QUEEN.....I got this *kitten* handled"

.....and here's My Diva

100_0177.jpg
  • jf0311
    jf0311 Posts: 17
    Options
    Cooking is my passion, I didn't eat fast food but boy did I cook big! I would make my own pasta, ravioli and cheesecakes. I baked batches of fresh bread every other day and all my sauces we made with heavy cream. Now I poach, grill and roast, no more bread, pasta or cream sauces.

Ditto this. I make my own butter, then proceed to make clams alfredo (make the alfredo sauce fresh), a loaf of sourdough, and wash it down with a bottle of vino or some cocktails. Weekends (summer) are for mussels in wine/butter while sitting on the deck.

I have now rediscovered my Foreman, this stuff called "Spring Mix", etc.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever got up for breakfast, I had to leave for work at 5:30 and didn't want to get up at 4 to have breakfast
    Then lunch would usually be a couple sandwiches, with extra mayo and cheese, some full fat cottage cheese and chips.
    Dinner was mostly something heavy say 16 oz steak, 16 oz potato, plenty of sour cream, butter and cheese, maybe vegetables maybe...never any fruit and I'd usually drink a 2 liter of regular soda a day. I'd then snack the night away with cookies, candies, cup cakes, maybe another sandwich....and I'd get hungry about 2 a.m. wanting a cheese burger...not one but two...with lettuce, mayo, onion and the bun toasted with butter...and start the next days 2 liter.
    My worst habits were:
    Biscuits and Gravy, Tenderloins, french fries, onion rings, chips of every kind, dips, cheeses, anything fried..anything...., the worst though was my three big cravings, 1: Cheeseburgers, 2: Reese's Peanut butter cups, 3: Chocolate chip cookies.
    I still have the occasional cheeseburger(no bun) but the other two have gone by by...
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was usually a croissant (with Brummel & Brown on it) and a diet pepsi. Occasionally it was those Hostess mini chocolate donuts. I usually always was so busy I forgot to eat lunch so there was never a lunch for me, unless I went somewhere like McDonald's and had the six-piece Chicken nuggets, french fries and medium diet coke (with free refills). Dinner was whatever I made, I cooked with lean ground turkey, skinless chicken breasts, occasionally pork, and used the stove or oven, no deep frying. The vegetables were served without a sauce. Once or twice a week we would have a meatless meal.

I tried to serve my family a healthy meal (as best as I could define healthy, I am no nutritionist), and I limited my children's snacking and pop consumption over the years, but I didn't limit myself.

My problem was that I snacked my way through the day, and that's why I was never hungry for lunch so never thought about eating it. I ate handfuls and handfuls of m&m's. I would eat a cookie (if I had any), or donuts on top of the m&m's. Fritoes, too. Then I'd have several bowls of buttered popcorn every night. No wonder I gained 25 pounds in a year!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of processed foods, a lot of fast food, a lot of soda, a lot of cheese, a lot of fried foods, and a lot of sweets. My husband says I was a vegetarian who didn't eat vegetables.

Now we eat a lot more vegetables, I cook 90% of our food from scratch, and it's very healthy. I drink mostly water, with maybe one glass of homemade, lightly sweetened tea a day. I broke my sugar addiction and now I can have a cupcake or a little candy and not go completely crazy eating it all. I have some when I want some, but usually I don't want it. It doesn't taste the same to me anymore. A fruit smoothie or homemade ice cream is far more delicious and satisfying than a bag of Skittles or m&ms.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Entirely too much convenience foods. Hamburger Helper, Chicken Helper and for a change of pace, Tuna Helper. One box is supposed to be 5 servings? It fed two of us. And I usually added extra pasta. Frozen pizza. Take out pizza. Pop tarts. Hot Pockets. Sometimes my husband would cook his specialty dish: Dinosaur Parmesan. Dino-shaped chicken nuggets with pasta and marinara sauce and cheese. :laugh:

Then I'd get a bag of fun sized candy bars and grab two when I walked through the kitchen. Then two more. Then two more. Then... oh, dammit, the bag's almost empty. Might as well tidy up and finish it off.

I still eat a lot of pasta and rice dishes, still have pizza once or twice a week, but I make sure I have lots of vegetables, some fruit and plenty of protein.

But more than the amount I ate, it was the lack of activity that did me in. I'd stroll with the dog for maybe a mile and think it was adequate exercise. Now, I'll walk the dog, take him home, then run 3-6 miles, then walk another half mile to cool down from my run. Or spend an hour lifting weights.

I probably eat more than I did before, but I eat smarter, and I burn a lot more.
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I actually had the dietary habits of a college frat boy. Takeout, processed foods, zero vegetables. Junk food, all the way. Now, I'd rather have a bowl of fruit, yogurt, and granola, rather than chips...although, I do let myself have some of those here and there.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I remember being SHOCKED at how much creamer I put in my coffee...300 calories, easily. Now I measure out 2Tbsp. Still a lot f cals, but 1/4 of what I used to use!! I ate a lot of sweets. I've cut back on those considerably. :happy:
  • Bernabrook
    Bernabrook Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    White Castle!
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty healthy and wasnt over weight but now I cringe knowing what I did eat. I never looked at the calories or serving sizes. I use to drink everday a coffee from dunkin with extra extra...200-300 calories just for coffee.....good thing I didnt eat breakfast then!

Other things I noticed is I was eating like 2-3 servings instead of 1.

I also LOVED candy and would just take handfuls.......m&ms, twizzlers etc!! Chips and dip I just ate til I was content!!
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    oh my godddddd before MFP, the amount of calories i consumed was absolutely disgusssstingggg.

not only did i love to eat fattening foods and drinks all day, i had no portion control what-so-ever.

i did a 10 week biggest loser contest in my house with both of my parents, and i ended up loosing 7 pounds.. since i started tracking my calories on MFP about a month ago, i have lost almost 10 pounds.

MFP has really opened my eyes to just how much food i should be intaking daily, and it has really done wonders for me & am so thankful I came across this site! I was literally eating thousands of calories before dinner would even start before this site! & that didn't include all of the night eating i did.

Ugh, once in a while i have a binge day where i have to log it on here and witness the calories, and every time i see it i literally never want to go back to permanently eating the way that i once used to.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    ughh....

Breakfast usually consisted of 3 eggs with cheese, two slices of toast and 3 links of sausage

Lunch consisted of whatever I could get my hands on. During the week, it was Subway

Snacks included whatever I could get my hands on

Dinner: Either Mexican, Italian, or whatever else. More like pasta with meat sauce, breadsticks, steak, potatoes, loads of tortilla chips, cheese dip...good lord I could go on
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Everything's pretty much the same except now I know what a serving size is! I never ate a lot of greasy, processed crap to begin with, so no loss there... :laugh:
  • yuanmori
    Options
    I had a bad habit of eating way bigger portions than I should have been eating. Way too many sweets and too many frozen dinners. I was operating on probably 2200 calories a day or so, it was a little shocking to cut back to 1300 but I'm really used to it now after 30 days :D

I've started making healthier choices too, and while I still enjoy sweets I've cut back quite a bit. I work them into my diet.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I would eat healthy foods, but way too little for most of the week. I was overly restrictive on the foods I would allow myself to eat, and ended up not eating much of anything. Then my SO would come home and then I would binge on horrible things. My body was so desperate I would eat everything in site. A major component of my new healthier regime involves eating proper portions at regular intervals, haha.
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    McDonald, Burger King and all the other fast food places for most meals. Two and three breakfast because I was still getting hungry, lots of soda. Snacking sweets all the time. Started MFP on the 5th of Jan. 2012 and was floored by the amount of calories I was consuming on a daily basis.
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I ate salads and chicken or fish. I shared desserts with my husband and often when we went out we shared a meal. If I drank soda it was diet. I never put dressing on my salads, I used just vinegar or lemon juice and or pico de gallo. I did not use mayo on sandwiches, I ate very little red meat. I experienced guilt when I ate sweets.

My shocker came when I started actually checking calorie count and realized some of my "healthier" choices were much higher in calorie count than some of the stuff I would have liked. Now I am just more aware and actually look things up BEFORE I buy it if I don't already know approximate calorie count.

I find I have much more freedom and more variety in my menus now and I am able to eat sweets without guilt because I plan them into my day. I am loving this life! :drinker:
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Everything I still eat now, just in appropriate portions and moderation :smile: