#4: Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy - 1st trimester

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
All posts are from the book "100 Healthiest Foods to Eat During Pregnancy by Jonny Bowden Ph.D., C.N.S., and Allison Tannis, M.S., R.H.N.

Last post: APPLE SAUCE http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/76855--3-healthiest-foods-to-eat-during-pregnancy-1st-trimester

#4: BANANAS

Peel a banana and take a bit or slice or mash it into your diet. Why? Because there are so many fabulous nutrients in bananas, plus they're easy on your stomach. One large banana contains 4 g of fiber and about 20% of your daily vitamin C and vitamin B6 needs.

* A large banana contains about 480 mg of potassium, nearly one-fourth of your daily requirement and close to 40 mcg of folate which is important for your baby's neuroltube development. (The neural tube forms and closes in your first trimester, by the way, making it even more important to get plenty of folate right now!)

* Vitamin B6 helps regulate your sodium/potassium levels, which can be imbalanced if you're vomiting.

* Vitamin B6 helps allevieate morning sickness

* Bananas are a good source of magnesium (37 mg) and potassium (480 mg), minerals needed for healthy fluid banance.

* People who consume diets rich in potassium are 50% less likely to have a stroke compared to their non-potassium-consuming peers

* Potassium fights high blood pressure

* Potassium may prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.

* Adding bananas to your diet during pregnancy can help you keep your blood pressure at a healthy level. High blood pressure in later pregnancy can lead to complications such as eclampsia

* Getting plenty of calcium is vital if you're pregnant because your growing baby is pulling this mineral from your bones. If bananas can help postmenopausal women keep their bones healthy, they can help you, too.

* Because bananas are bland, they work well on a queasy stomach (like with morning sickness) and packed with potassium to help you get your fluid balance back quickly.

BANANAS FOOD GOOD BLOOD PRESSURE

Healthy blood pressure is important for a healthy pregnancy. In the DASH Study, consuming 8-10 servings of vegetables and fruit per day, along with an overall healthy diet, was associated with a decrease in blood pressure normally only achieve with the use of medication. Potassium, found in good quantities in bananas, is just on the nutrients found in fruits and vegetables that help maintaine normal blood pressure.

BANANAS AT A GLANCE:
Serving sice: 1 large banana
Calories: 121
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
Fiber: 4 g
Calcium: 1%
Vitamin A: 2%
Vitamin C: 20%
Iron: 2%

JONNY'S TASTY TIPS
Bananas and rice are a famous home remedy for an upset stomach, but if you''re not feeling sick, try these instead: Slice a banana lengthwise and smear a little peanut butter on each cut side; or slice a banana into plain or vanilla yogurt; or add strawberries to make your own version of strawberry-banana.

You can make a great smoothie by blending a cup of yogurt, a sliced banana, and a cup of crushed ice until thick and smooth. Try it with plain togurt and a handful of fresh or frozen stawberries, a banana, and a splash of orange juice for a luscious, refreshing treat!

Craving ice cream? Make a healthy banana split with a banana cut cleangthwise and topped with frozen yogurt, fresh berries, and sliced almonds. It is both decadent and delicious!

PREVIOUS POSTS:

ALMONDS: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75078--1-healthiest-foods-to-eat-during-pregnancy-1st-trimester
ANCHOVIES: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/75316--2-healthiest-foods-to-eat-during-pregnancy-1st-trimester
APPLE SAUCE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/76855--3-healthiest-foods-to-eat-during-pregnancy-1st-trimester

Replies

• 00angelina00
    Options
    whoohoo!! I've been eating almonds AND bananas everyday!! yay me!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're almost 8 weeks already! That's crazy and exciting! Now that I know it seems like it's taking FOREVER for time to pass. I want my ultrasound already. haha

Good job with the baby diet babes
  • sbennett23
    sbennett23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting these! I love it!