Is A Loss from Water Weight Just As Important As Fat Loss?

Options
when can u tell if its water loss or fat loss? and also is water loss permanent?

lets say on monday someone weighed 155 pounds, exercised, ate healthy and drank at least 8 glasses of water. then the next morning their weight goes down to 150. 4 days later they are still at 150 pounds, is this water loss or fat loss?

generally when someone on here gains a few pounds after doing everything correctly, everyone just says its water weight, dont worry about it. When someone loses a couple of pounds very quickly, everyone congratulates them even if that was probably water weight.

so why is a loss of water weight more imortant than a gain from water weight?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This is a great question! I'd love to know the answer myself.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just as everyone mentions all the time. It takes 3500 calories [or something like that] (plus or minus) to gain or lose a pound of fat. If you're gaining/losing 5 pounds over the course of 2-3 days, it's more than likely water weight. The way to keep the water weight low is to keep your sodium-intake low, drink 8 glasses of water a day, and exercise.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer but to me if losing water means losing inches, I guess it's important. :) So go measure yourself. :)
  • Lindzpnc
    Lindzpnc Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    it could be lots of factors.. time of day? if its a female then its even worse if its that time of the month. clothes? bowel movements... sounds gross my friend weighs herself before and after a bowel movement and sometimes its a 3lb difference

find it hard to believe to be possible to loose almost five pounds in a day...
  • albayin
    Options
    it could be lots of factors.. time of day? if its a female then its even worse if its that time of the month. clothes? bowel movements... sounds gross my friend weighs herself before and after a bowel movement and sometimes its a 3lb difference

find it hard to believe to be possible to loose almost five pounds in a day...

I didn't lose 5 pounds but 2 days ago at the same time I weighed 4 pounds heavier than this morning. For some people I guess it's possible to get a fluctuated weight like that. :)
  • princessveggiecake
    Options
    Just as everyone mentions all the time. It takes 3500 calories [or something like that] (plus or minus) to gain or lose a pound of fat. If you're gaining/losing 5 pounds over the course of 2-3 days, it's more than likely water weight. The way to keep the water weight low is to keep your sodium-intake low, drink 8 glasses of water a day, and exercise.

^I would have to agree. Just keep eating health, drinking lots of ice cold water and exercising. Also like she said, keeping your sodium intake low....but not too low. You do need sodium in your diet. if you're exercising, you should be fine. :)

Keep up the great work!
  • albayin
    Options
    I think it could be part of water, a little bit fat and some lean body mass. most likely the first 5 pounds contains most of water weight? I read it somewhwere but don't quote me on this. :)
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    I take pictures and look at the change over time. I don't hold much stock in weighing myself. I do it, but I don't really care what I weigh. I take pictures and look at the change in body composition.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight, and it doesn't come back in about a week, then it is probably real weight loss. If it comes back in a couple of days, it may mean that you just adjusted your sodium, and lost some water that you were retaining. You can't tell day to day. You have to look at it over the week, or better yet, a month.
  • albayin
    Options
    I take pictures and look at the change over time. I don't hold much stock in weighing myself. I do it, but I don't really care what I weigh. I take pictures and look at the change in body composition.

I tend to look at pictures from time to time. It's either I didn't lose significant weight to feel confident or just the angle of the cameras or clothes I have on, I can't really tell much difference. :(
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    water loss is just as important as fat loss as it's your body flushing crap out leaving room for the good stuff we're taking in with our new habits. Everyone weighs more in the morning (or when you first get up) than they do at the end of the day apparently so like some others that have posted I dont go much by scale but count the inches and how I feel more important. Either way - a loss is a loss so keep up with what your doing but dont be surprised if that 5lb loss turns into a 1lb loss
  • Veronikitta
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question but what I do know is that some of the fat that is burned is flushed out of the body through liquid such as urine and sweat, in the chemical change that takes place carbon dioxide is also released through breathing, and I guess flatulence. So it is important to lose water weight and keep taking in fluid so the fat can leave your body. Fat cells stay inside us for ever (unless you lipo or something) its just the fat in them that is released into our system and the cells shrink.
    I assume that if you have lost water weight after you have made changes to your diet; there is a high percentage that the water you lost contained fat.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think people tend to congratulate a water "loss" more because in my experience, you lose the bloated look from the excess water. I can always tell in my face and the way my rings fit whether or not I am retaining water.
  • princesslumpybumpy
    Options
    Hi, can I ask why ice cold water? I read that room temp water was better for weight loss and for the body to absorb.... Ty x
  • PJDolan
    PJDolan Posts: 6
    Options
    There's no way to tell at any given weigh-in the exact source of your weight gain or weight loss. The important thing is to stay hydrated and look for a trend of weight loss over the course of weeks and months.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi, can I ask why ice cold water? I read that room temp water was better for weight loss and for the body to absorb.... Ty x

Ooh ooh! Pick me pick me I know this one!!

Ice water, or just straight up eatin cubes for that matter, can help you burn extra calories because your body has to work harder to make the cold water body temperature. Can't remember exactlyhow many calories you can burn in a week of chewing 6-8 ice cubes a day but it was a surprising amount, look it up if you want
  • princesslumpybumpy
    Options
    Lol, ty For your explanation. I had never thought of it that way..... <puttingwaterinthefridge> and off to make some more ice lol x
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight, and it doesn't come back in about a week, then it is probably real weight loss. If it comes back in a couple of days, it may mean that you just adjusted your sodium, and lost some water that you were retaining. You can't tell day to day. You have to look at it over the week, or better yet, a month.

so what if someone eat a high sodium diet, would their weight loss be more accurate?
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump