Should I eat before a workout??

Options
Hello,
I generally workout early in the morning. I am usually at the gym by 6:30 am and I won't eat breakfast till around 8:30 or so. Should I eat something before I hit the gym to help with energy? And if so,what do you suggest?

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You should probably have a little something at least, even if it is just drinking a few grams of BCAAs with some juice or a protein shake or even just some milk or whatever. I mostly prefer solid food myself and workout in the afternoon so not a problem for me and I don't actually do the above.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eating before a work out depends on if you feel you need the energy.

Many of us like a piece of fruit in the morning before our work out, then a high protein meal afterwards.

I normally skip breakfast (just not hungry at all), but eat 3 to 5 egg whites (olive oil, paprika, and pepper) after coming home from the gym to throw some immediate protein in the mix.

Overall, really depends how you feel during the work out. If you are getting tired easily, feel free to enjoy an apple or something before the work out.
  • readsalot68
    readsalot68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I noticed I was tired after my workout today so I will try eating a little of something before I work out.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I was getting leg cramps during my work outs. My trainer told me to try eating something small about an hour before. Nothing heavy. I usually do a LARA bar or an apple and a small amount of greek yogurt for dipping.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, I can't eat a heavy meal right before I lift or else I might puke, and people have complained about me eating it back up from off the floor crying my gains my gains!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me eat about 45 minutes before my workout. Not so soon that I get sick but enough so that I have the energy I need for the workout. I usually choose a protein shake since I am not a big fan of eating a lot so early in the morning.
  • hunnins
    hunnins Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Found this on mayoclinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ00594_D

Good breakfast options include:

Whole-grain cereals or bread
    Low-fat milk
    Juice
    Bananas

Large meals. Eat these at least three to four hours before exercising.
    Small meals. Eat these two to three hours before exercising.
    Small snacks. Eat these an hour before exercising.

The whole article is helpful.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    It depends really. If you have no problems pushing hard in your workouts than there certainly isn't a reason to eat for the sake of eating. I never do but have plenty of extra fuel in reserve. Just remember those old Powerbar "Bonk" Commercials and if you feel dead and depleted during your workouts then definitely eat something beforehand.

I'm a no eat after 7 - 8pm believe and the main reason is it's a great opportunity to take advantage of your body especially if you do cardio based workouts in the morning. When you workout in the morning on an empty stomach, cardio helps raises a hormone called norepinephrine which allows your body to maximize targeting fat for fuel. If you eat before that, especially carbs, insulin is raised and you burn primarily carbs. Furthermore, the levels of glycogen in your muscles and liver (stored carbs) are generally at their lowest levels when you first wake up in the morning especially if you're able to not eat before bed. Since carbs and glycogen are your body's primary source of energy and they're low your body has no choice but to start burning fat for fuel.

This is the optimal time and conditions in which to burn the most fat possible.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning at 5:00 (after a little time with God)! Then shower and eat breakfast.