Stopped drinking and feeling LESS slim

Options
This may sound ridiculous, but I'm confused. I used to drink a glass or two of wine at night and decided to cut it out for a few weeks. I heard all the wonderful benefits that I'd experience - weight loss, improved skin blabla. Since I stopped (about a week ago so I realize these results are probably not legit) I actually feel like I'm looking worse body wise.

I eat EXTREMELY healthy, both when I was drinking wine and now - mostly lean protein, veggies, fruit, greek yogurt, etc and haven't been eating more than I used to to substitute alcohol. If anything I'm consuming less calories than I previously was. I workout for at least 35 minutes a day (usually cardio interval with some strength or insanity mixed in).

I'm not looking for drastic weight loss - I'm 5'6" and 120 lbs, but I am confused as to why i feel kind of bloated and bigger.

Sorry for the vent - I don't know where else to go and it's so confusing.

Replies

• Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think alcohol dehydrates you so you feel more "sucked in" if that makes any sense....without that dehydrated feeling, you might be confusing it with bloat? Kinda just winging it here... :0)
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. Give it a month.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Maybe beer goggles work in the mirror, too?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    A smooth buzz gives us all a little extra confidence. That's probably what you are missing.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other ideas: alcohol has a lot of calories. and nearly no one drinks out of a 4 oz wine glass these days, so your wine "servings" in most typical wine glasses would be closer to 6 ounces. So if you had two glasses per night, you were averaging 360 calories a day from wine.

Odds are, you've started eating more food calories now. At 5'6 and 120, you're at a healthy weight, so you'd notice the drop in calories from the wine and end up eating more.

*note, I am not trying to tell you what you should weigh or what your goal should be. Just saying that someone n the healthy range will notice a drop of 360 calories and may well be making that deficit up at least partially with food*
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    why give up wine? its got health benefits, and you're not overdoing it.
  • slindsey130
    slindsey130 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with this.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is experiencing something completely unrelated to the alcohol consumption. Two glasses is not that much and certainly not excessive. If you were drinking a bottle or more of wine a day (like I used to), then you would definitely be seeing changes after giving it up!
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I didn't WANT to give up wine...I started taking a new medication that I can't drink on for the first month.

W/regards to food calories -- I honestly stay at about 1200 a day (primarily clean foods) with or without alcohol. When I drank I was definitely just adding more calories. And YES -- for the record I readily admit that a 4 oz. pour is not what I consider a glass of wine ;) 6oz is much more accurate.

Dont eat a lot of sodium and drink a TON of water.

I'm probably just being a crazy person, but it's annoying.