How can I get more protein?

Options
I have a strong aversion to touching raw meat. Because of that, I have found that generally every meal I make myself is vegetarian with the exception of occasional shrimp. I usually have chicken over the weekends because I meet up with my family and they dine out a lot.

Right now during the week I eat a lot of almonds and the occasional protein bar to get what I can, but that's about it.

Any ideas?

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is good (like in shakes)

Also,

Greek Yogurt
    Canned Tuna
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Low fat cheese
  • LoveMy3Boys605
    LoveMy3Boys605 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What about tuna from a can?? I buy a lot of frozen fish (not battered) that I can just throw in the oven, so in theory you're not touching raw meat, just frozen meat. Also eggs have tons of protein. You could throw some tofu in with your veggies and stir fry them up! Greek yogurt has a fair amount of protein too. Just start reading labels, you'd be surprised at what has protein in it!! Good luck!!
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Do you think, if you bought it, that your family could cook up a bunch of meat for you that you could portion out and freeze? Then you could have it at home for the week?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tongs? Pick up chicken breasts with them, slap it in a tray, shove it in the oven!
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Also, you could try some prepared meats. It's fairly easy to find fully cooked chicken breast strips.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    They have pre-cooked, frozen chicken breasts in the store. You just have to pop them in the oven or microwave...

Also, like other people said
    Whey protein (for shakes)
    Greek Yogurt
    etc.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know you can buy fully cooked chicken and turkey sausage. You just heat em up. Peanut butter, protein shakes...
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Fromage frais / Quark is used by a lot of bodybuilders in my country.

About 50gr protein per 500gr.

Just eat it as yoghurt, with maybe a bit of honey to sweeten it.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Soy milk -- an extra 6g to a protein shake if you want to mix with it instead of water.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    Protein shakes.They are normally anywhere from 20 to 35 grams of protein
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given such amazing and helpful suggestions. Cottage cheese is definitely a protein winner, nut butters, eggs, beans, canned fish, pre-cooked meats at the supermarket...
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I try to add Greek Yogurt whenever I can or do a protein shake.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Put on gloves
    Cook chicken
    Win
  • LaraLambert
    Options
    I love Turkey Jerky from Trader Joe's. 11 grams of protein, easy, and delicious!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I like canned chicken breast and canned tuna on my salads! Also, TVP is a new favorite!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder or protein bars...
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Put on gloves
    Cook chicken
    Win

This is my suggestion also. You can buy boxes of gloves at a stores like Sam's or Costco, and the price works out to only about 5 cents per glove. I use gloves even though I'm not averse to touching meat. It's a great way not to have to wash your hands over and over during meal prep, which is important if your skin is sensitive.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Canned or pouch tuna or salmon (watch out for sodium though!)
    Raw meat that you can cook without touching (use a spatula or something!): turkey sausage links or patties, preportioned fish (in the little plastic bags), hamburger patties, shrimp, pork chops, chicken tenderloin
    Dairy: lowfat cheese, cottage cheese, skim milk, string cheese, greek yogurt
    Eggs and egg whites
    Beans/lentils
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    They make pre-cooked chicken breasts. You can find them in the freezer section. They are packed with sodium though, but if you don't care about sodium, they are a good choice. I've tried them and they aren't that bad tastewise.
  • cryan1980
    Options
    Put on gloves
    Cook chicken
    Win

This how my wife had to deal... eventually she got over it and will handle without gloves.

She even used baggies when we ran out of gloves...