How about Harry Potter?
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    The Hunger Games
    Adventures of Huckleberry Fin
    Catcher in the Rye
    The Alchemist
    As I Lay Dying.... It's a real dark comedy and difficult language but it's so good! Not for 10yo's
    Of Mice and Men
    Big Fish

Fifty Shades of Grey.. kidding. Lol.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The Chronicles of Narnia (I esp liked "The Magician's Nephew"--funny, imaginative, and you learn how the lightpost came to be in the middle of Narnia)

Call it Courage
    White Fang
    Hardy Boys series
    Three Detectives Series
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (about an ADHD boy)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Little Britches and Little Britches Grows Up. I read those with my son at that age and we both loved it. They are OLD books, so you may have to check e-bay, 2nd hand book stores, etc. We got them in the library but that was 10-12 years ago and they were old then. Some libraries do still keep the old books, but ours throws them out. :(
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    It's good to go with the classics, because they'll have to know it come high school. Son is currently reading For Whom the Bells Toll.

Last summer he read "The Book Thief" which was VERY good. Highly recommend it.

I teach 7th and 8th grade. I can't imagine what kind of 10 year old would be ready for Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. There is plenty of time for classics, age-appropriate ones when the time comes. Youth is the time for wide and varied reading. . there is a wealth of well-written middle grade and young adult lit out there now. Gary Paulsen, Will Hobbs, Rick Riordan. . . all extremely popular with my boys. For a great read for both genders, try Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It will change your life. The author was interviewed a few months ago on NPR. You can listen to the clip on line.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The Virginian by Owen Wister. I think the main character sets a great example of a manly man. It has a lot of funny and adventurous scenarios that boys would like, but you may enjoy it even more. I fell in love with the Virginian when I was a teenager and read the book three times. :) Now, I'm married to a manly man and loving it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I could make a more complete list if I were standing in my classroom right now where I have 1000 books for kids to check out. Here are some of my popular titles among the boys:

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key
    The Maze Runner
    Rot & Ruin
    The Hunger Games
    Bluefish
    Blood Red Road
    Hoot
    Heart of a Samurai
    Rules
    Divergent
    The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda
    Peak
    The Wednesday Wars
    Cosmic
    The Things a Brother Knows
    The London Eye Mystery
    The Knife of Never Letting Go
    Across the Universe
    No More Dead Dogs
    Schooled
    Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie
    The City of Ember
    The Uglies
    The Loser List
    The Eleventh Plague
    The Juvie Three
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The Giver.
    I googled this one. It's diffrent, huh? Did you read it and if so, how old?
  • splashangel
    Options
    The Chronicles of Narnia (I esp liked "The Magician's Nephew"--funny, imaginative, and you learn how the lightpost came to be in the middle of Narnia)

Call it Courage
    White Fang
    Hardy Boys series
    Three Detectives Series
    Encyclopedia Brown
    Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (about an ADHD boy)

White Fang was one of their favorites! Thank you for the suggestions!
  • splashangel
    Options
    The Virginian by Owen Wister. I think the main character sets a great example of a manly man. It has a lot of funny and adventurous scenarios that boys would like, but you may enjoy it even more. I fell in love with the Virginian when I was a teenager and read the book three times. :) Now, I'm married to a manly man and loving it.

I am so with you here. I started reading Louis Lamore when I was around 12? I still read them occasionally. I joked that they were my romance novels. William Tell Sackett * SIGH* :love: My boys like them o.k. Not big on them though. Thank you for the reminder on the Virginian. Oh.... And I'm now married to a manly man :)
  • splashangel
    Options
    I could make a more complete list if I were standing in my classroom right now where I have 1000 books for kids to check out. Here are some of my popular titles among the boys:

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key
    The Maze Runner
    Rot & Ruin
    The Hunger Games
    Bluefish
    Blood Red Road
    Hoot
    Heart of a Samurai
    Ru
    Divergent
    The Strange Case of the Origami Yoda
    Peak
    The Wednesday Wars
    Cosmic
    The Things a Brother Knows
    The London Eye Mystery
    The Knife of Never Letting Go
    Across the Universe
    No More Dead Dogs
    Schooled
    Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie
    The City of Ember
    The Uglies
    The Loser List
    The Eleventh Plague
    The Juvie Three

SherryTeach, Wonder by R.J. Palacio will be on our " must read" list. My youngest has a facial deformity. It is very common on my husband's side. He has been teased and called names. Mostly though, kid's just want to know about it. It's a painful subject with my husband because he feels his pain. Last year our oldest read Nick Vujicic's story. ( Man with no arms or legs) It took him about 9 monthes reading a little at a time. But, I watched him grow with each page. Thank you for taking the time to list all these.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love buying books for kids in that age range! Most of my book recommendations on Amazon are for juvenile fiction because I always give my husband's step-siblings books as gifts. :happy: Here are some that I love--didn't see them mentioned above.

The Westing Game
    The Island on Bird Street
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (and the rest of the Narnia series)
    A Wrinkle in Time (and other Madeline L'Engle novels)
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
    The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
    From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franankweiler
    Mary Poppins (there are actually quite a few MP books, and quite different from the movie)
    Treasure Island
    Black Arrow

If you're really interested in more traditional literature classics, you may want to look for abridged versions. I remember having quite a few growing up...they had short, thick books with almost every other page illustrated. I think that's how I first read Little Women, Black Beauty, and some others. If you can find something along those lines, it's not too early to introduce them to some things like The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.
  • splashangel
    Options
    Oh, I love buying books for kids in that age range! Most of my book recommendations on Amazon are for juvenile fiction because I always give my husband's step-siblings books as gifts. :happy: Here are some that I love--didn't see them mentioned above.

The Westing Game
    The Island on Bird Street
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (and the rest of the Narnia series)
    A Wrinkle in Time (and other Madeline L'Engle novels)
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
    The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
    From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Franankweiler
    Mary Poppins (there are actually quite a few MP books, and quite different from the movie)
    Treasure Island
    Black Arrow

If you're really interested in more traditional literature classics, you may want to look for abridged versions. I remember having quite a few growing up...they had short, thick books with almost every other page illustrated. I think that's how I first read Little Women, Black Beauty, and some others. If you can find something along those lines, it's not too early to introduce them to some things like The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.
    \
    Thank you replying. They loved Black Beauty. I bet you anything they will love the Three Musketeers! There are so many great books recommended on this post. I'm sure we will be making some really good memories between the pages.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Treasure Island
    The Invisible Man
    and although not "classics" the Star Wars original trilogy is pretty awesome.
  • goforthd5
    goforthd5 Posts: 167
    Options
    bump
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for books to read with my 10 and 11 year old boys. Mostly interested in classics but am open to anything else that might be fun.

How "classic"? Like REALLY old classic, or classic from 1950-present?

I like:

The Three Musketeers
    Peter Pan
    Robinson Crusoe
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
    Robin Hood
    Treasure Island
    Around the World in 80 Days
    20,000 Leaues Under the Sea
    Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Ben Hur
    The old Hardy Boys' series
    My brother really loved the Chronicles of Narnia series at that age, and he wasn't much older than them when he started reading the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
    Also, my nephew loved the Percy Jackson series (still does) at that age. Really, anything to do with Greek mythology.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    The Hobbit
  • adf4
    adf4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hardy Boys!! And I think there is another set of newer books my boys like and I *think* they are called the Braxton Brothers..they look for these new ones every time we go to the library.:smile:
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My son (now 13) loved The Hobbit series and the Chronicles of Narnia. But we're uber-geeks though :wink:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    "Classic"
    I used to and stil love Jules Verne.
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Journey to the Center of the Earth

There are abrdiged versions that may appeal to the younger generation.