Crunchy snack ideas?

Options
Every so often I just crave that crunch when I eat. Most of the stuff I eat on this new diet is soft - chicken, dairy products, cooked veggies, fruits, etc. Not a lot of crunch! Anybody have any good healthy crunchy snack foods? All I really can think of is a small amount of pretzels and some kinds of veggies (though those don't really do it for me). Anybody got anything else?

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Almonds! I hear people say celery and carrots all the time, but I hate both of those. So for me it's things like almonds or apple slices. There are also some chips you can get, just measure out what to eat before you start to avoid eating the whole bag and note the sodium.
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was craving something crunchy and finally found a fix in roasted plantain chips. I got mine at Trader Joe's - yum!
  • pozzicb01
    pozzicb01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are low carbing it, check out pepperoni chips. You can make them at home, they are really good and not that unhealthy.
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like roasted sunflower seeds
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!! They do it for me every time. Google it.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Yes, almonds! Or chocolate or caramel rice cakes!
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually put granola or cheerios in my yogurt for some crunch =)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Personally I eat dry cereal. I make sure the nutrition info is good and that it's something I'll enjoy and will have a cup of dry cereal sometimes at night after going through a day of yogurts, soft chicken or fish, and soft vegetables. Apples are pretty good for crunching, and you can always get dried fruit or veggies and they're pretty crunchy (well moreso the veggies than fruit).
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    granola
  • EphrataJewles
    Options
    pea pods and salsa. get the crunch of the chips and the yumminess of salsa
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    pistachios? or yeah, almonds. OR, put sugarsnap peas on a tray, spray with canola oil, sprinkle with salt+herbs and roast in the oven for 20ish mins...they come out kinda like frenchfries and with a good crunch :) dip them in ketchup!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers crunch (and they're SO low in calories), sweet snap peas (raw)

When I get a craving to crunch:

Fiber One has some cereal high in fiber & low in sugar....good crunchies

and Special K came out with some snack crisps that are decent too

nuts or seeds are also a good choice (almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) - but keep in mind a little goes a long way in calories.

Oh yeah and if you add a tablespoon of flax seed to your yogurt that gives you some good nutrition and crunch at the same time. (or you can add wheat germ)
  • alliejoberry
    Options
    One day I came home and I thought my dad was eating chips--but it turned out he was eating from a bag of raw carrot slices my mom bought in the bagged salad area. They're kind of textured, like a ruffle potato chip. Because of the texture, they almost seem to taste better than baby or regular carrots.
  • Sudzinp
    Sudzinp Posts: 1
    Options
    popcorn
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Quaker mini cheddar rice cakes. Very Cheetos-like and only 140 cal for 18 of them. Very yummy.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Triscuit flat bread crackers are SOO good. Packed with flavor and the serving size (2 crackers) is only 60 calories.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you can make your own potato chips in the microwave

slice very thin, spray with cooking spray and microwave for 2-3 mins
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I've taken to giving my 8 month old a cup of dry Cheerios...and doing the same for myself. =B
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle Kashi OR granola in my yogurt. It's delicious! (:
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!! They do it for me every time. Google it.

I see those at whole foods... are they really good? Im scared to try them...lol