Need to only lose 25 Pounds

Options
Hello- I am new, just signed up. I currently weigh 140lbs, and would like to get down to about 115-120ish. I know I am not obese, and I am not trying to lose weight beause I just want to look "skinny" to fit in or anything, but I feel my body is sluggish, and when I sit down in a chair my legs squish, and I lose circulations some times. My body frame is not meant to be 140, I have a small frame.

I am just getting started and just need some motivation! I do not need to lose as much weight as most people on here and I understand that, but I am wondering if there are others out there like me that just really need to loose 20-25 pounds, to feel more HEALTHY?

Please advise! Thanks :)

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Need to lose about 10-15 lbs.
  • LaraLambert
    Options
    kbmnurse- What steps are you taking? Have you lost any weight yet?
  • kellya252
    kellya252 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yep. I would like to lose about 10 pounds. I have a history of high blood pressure and keeping my weight under control and staying active really helps keep my BP in check. Also, since my weight has creeped up my clothes don't fit nearly as well and I can't afford to buy new ones.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other end of things, kinda... I have a big frame, so at 170 and 5'8" i'm not obviously in need of weight loss (i can't wear a bikini or anything, but...). I think 155 to 160 is about right for me.

It's the same for us as everyone else, EXCEPT, you have to go slower, and it will take more work on your part for the initial weight loss. The bigger you are the more calories you need, so we are at a "disadvantage". And you also need to lose probably a max of 1 lb per week.

that's really all i have to say. stick with the basics of calorie counting and it should work. be patient, and adjust as needed.
  • LaraLambert
    Options
    Thanks for the advice & encouragement ariant23!
  • shirleylyons
    Options
    Same boat here. I am 5'2 and would like to weigh 130 lbs. I have 2 lbs to get there. I am extremely health, exercise every day, but am having trouble breaking 150 lbs.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You sound similar to me, I'm not technically overweight but I'd like to lose about 25 pounds because I think I'll feel and look a lot healthier. I'm also fairly unfit at the moment, so I really want to work on doing more exercise, losing fat and gaining muscle.

As others have said, weight loss seems to be slower when you don't have much to lose so you don't get the initial joy of losing 14 pounds in the first month! But I find as long as I maintain a calorie deficit I still lose (usually only 0.5 - 1 lb a week though).
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i only had 20 lbs to lose as well. I am 5ft 2 inches, i started in Nov and finally hit my 15 lbs mark. It's been slow..... still have 5 more to go and i still feel like i look the same but only smaller. so i am hoping once i get the last 5 off then i will start strength training, that way if i put on a few lbs doing that it won't bother me so much...
  • LaraLambert
    Options
    Lin7604- Wow, why did it take you so long to only lose 15 lbs? Were you not actively trying? And what did you change in your life to lose? Congrats by the way!
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    The best advice I have is try not to get frustrated, and understand it's not all going to come off at once. Keep your head up, build a good support system (Hey, us here at MFP can help w/ that), and have fun. We are in your corner!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Lin7604- Wow, why did it take you so long to only lose 15 lbs? Were you not actively trying? And what did you change in your life to lose? Congrats by the way!

i wish i knew. I was doing everything right, as i thought. I cut out pop, chips, fast food. I logged everything, i measure and weigh my portions. i added fish into my diet, started making my own soups, muffins, etc... I was exercising 1 hr a day 5-6 days a week. 30-40 min elliptical or treadmill and 30 min a jllian micheals dvd. I got so frustrated as i figured i should of lost close to 10 lbs in 2.5 months, not only 5!!!! I upped my cals, i lowered them, i upped exercise and then finally cut it out and only focused on diet. hit a month and almost month and a half of no change, i wanted to quit..... so i figured i would take out the exercise and just do diet and then i started losing a bit faster but now i am stuck again...I can't seem to go more then 3months before i hit a stall... I do have a thyroid disorder and a b12 deficiency and i know that pays a roll in when i lose and how fast, etc but i don't want to use that as a excuse... I really don't know why it is taking so long to lose 20 flippen lbs, but you can't say i haven;'t tried! I have gotten so many people telling me ho many cals i should eat, etc and it will only work for 3 months max...then i am back to teh drawing board and not knowing where to go from there....
  • ToneItUp87
    Options
    Came back to lose another 20 lbs. Had gone down to 145 and now I'm back up to 150. Want to get down to an ultimate goal of 130 and tone up! :D Anyone willing to put up with my down days and sometimes go getter attitude? Add me!
  • LaraLambert
    Options

i wish i knew. I was doing everything right, as i thought. I cut out pop, chips, fast food. I logged everything, i measure and weigh my portions. i added fish into my diet, started making my own soups, muffins, etc... I was exercising 1 hr a day 5-6 days a week. 30-40 min elliptical or treadmill and 30 min a jllian micheals dvd. I got so frustrated as i figured i should of lost close to 10 lbs in 2.5 months, not only 5!!!! I upped my cals, i lowered them, i upped exercise and then finally cut it out and only focused on diet. hit a month and almost month and a half of no change, i wanted to quit..... so i figured i would take out the exercise and just do diet and then i started losing a bit faster but now i am stuck again...I can't seem to go more then 3months before i hit a stall... I do have a thyroid disorder and a b12 deficiency and i know that pays a roll in when i lose and how fast, etc but i don't want to use that as a excuse... I really don't know why it is taking so long to lose 20 flippen lbs, but you can't say i haven;'t tried! I have gotten so many people telling me ho many cals i should eat, etc and it will only work for 3 months max...then i am back to teh drawing board and not knowing where to go from there....

Wow, well good for you! VERY inspirational that you didn't quit, and slowly but surely you still lose. Just keep at it, don't give up! And you def inspired me.
  • iBetYouDontBelieveMe
    Options
    the BEST advice is ti not get complacent when you're close.

Like when you're 5 pounds off, and just have a little left to go, but you're like "I've lost so much, I'm pro at this, I'm sure it'll be fine to eat these donuts."

No! It won't be fine! Don't do it.
    Seriously, that's what messed me up the last time I was trying to lost weight.
    I was close to my goal and looking in the mirror I was like "I'm almost a regular sized person! Regular people can eat whatever they want!" so I kind of slacked off.

Don't reward yourself for losses with food :(

You need to stay strong till the very end.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am eating 20% less calories and exercising more. But just eating less hasn't been effective for me. Every time I stop exercising, I gain it back. So the lifestyle change for me has been less about food, I can cut back on that, but more about making exercise more a part of my daily life. When I am exercising (and of course not eating too much), I am losing up to a pound a week.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hey, been on here for three months now and I've already lost 25 pounds. Of course, I probably have more to lose than you do. I started at 224, I'm 199 right now and it feels great so far. I've just been watching what I eat and exercising. I've recently started doing the Paleo Diet. It is my favorite so far. :) I feel amazing even though I know I am still over weight. It is a great start to a long journey to being healthy. I don't anticipate going back to my old habits anytime soon. Good luck!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    That was me! Went from 165 to 140-145, and now I'm maintaining while I try to figure out where I'm supposed to be. 140 lbs looks very different on me at 38 than it did at 20, so I've still got a little ways to go -- but I want to build up some muscle first, then I'll lose some more fat.
  • joriha92
    joriha92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation and here to lose the 'insecurity weight'. I'm 5'6, I started at 143-ish and my first goal weight is 128 which I'm really trying to reach. Next will be 120 where I'm planning to just take it slow.
    I've been here for 5 weeks and I lost about 7 pounds.
    I'm just sticking to the calories. I eat more vegetables and I go for a long walk 3 times a week :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My stats are almost identical to yours. I call myself "skinny-fat" in that I can wear a size 4 or 6 but I am 28% bodyfat. I'd like to get down to about 22% and that would be in the 115-120 pound range for me. (assuming I don't pack on a bunch of muscle).

Every pound lost has been a struggle. I exercise 6 days a week, and am really good about eating within my calorie range. Losing a small amount of weight is hard.

I think next week I am going to step up my calorie consumption just a bit, and see how that effects my progress. Gotta keep my body guessing!