Question about calories, BMR vs. Goal

Options
I'm a little confused on how many calories I should consume... I'm fairly active, (whether I want to be or not -I have 3 small kids) :) and also have been trying to incorporate some type of exercise (at least 30 minutes) into my daily routine. According to my goals, MFP says I should consume 1,200 calories/day but my BMR is 1,386. I've heard different things and I'm not sure which I should go by. I'm 29, 5'2 and 145. My first week, I based my calories off of my BMR, this week, I'm doing 1,200. Last week I lost 2.8lbs (my first week - starting back up). Any advice?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You might want to adjust your desired amount of pounds to lose per week in your MFP settings. Try setting it for 1 pound a week and see how many calories it gives you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, one pound a week is a 500 calorie a day deficit.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There is a setting in MFP for your activity level - what did you select? If your target calories is 1200/day, it seems like you may have selected "sedentary", which probably isn't the case. =)

I'd guess "moderately active" based on what you described?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You could enter your activity to "lightly active", with a goal to lose 1lb per week.

If you find that does not seem like enough cals, then set your activity to "active."

I have five children, ages 14-4, and I have my diary set to lightly active.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Aloha,
    When I started this journey, I had no idea how to go about losing weight the correct way, without hurting myself and without being hungry all the time. I found out from all the knowledgeable folks here on MFP that neither situation has to occur if you are losing the weight the proper way. I read the newbie posts on the forums a couple of times and ended up here:
    IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12, read the instructions. Dan lays everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
    Then I acquired some spreadsheets from JamaicaLady that helped out and confirmed that I was indeed losing lean muscle along with weight. Now I know how to do this thing without losing muscle mass. In this folder are some more tools to help you track and keep things in perspective and some motivational backgrounds and the like. Good Luck!

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit

Please feel free to download, copy and SHARE anything in the folder. I believe in “Paying it Forward” as HelloItsDan says….

If you have any difficulty with the spreadsheets let me know and I will give you a hand!
    My email is: mikeschratz@gmail.com
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I'm a little confused on how many calories I should consume... I'm fairly active, (whether I want to be or not -I have 3 small kids) :) and also have been trying to incorporate some type of exercise (at least 30 minutes) into my daily routine. According to my goals, MFP says I should consume 1,200 calories/day but my BMR is 1,386. I've heard different things and I'm not sure which I should go by. I'm 29, 5'2 and 145. My first week, I based my calories off of my BMR, this week, I'm doing 1,200. Last week I lost 2.8lbs (my first week - starting back up). Any advice?

First off - this is an excellent question so it's your first step in a big learning curve but it's a great start.

I'm going to briefly touch on some info here. If you want specifics either PM me or FR me.

GENERALLY SPEAKING:

What to do: Test MFP against this
    Use Mifflin-St. Joer's equation to calculate out your BMR and Calorie loss you'll need for the weight you want to have as a comparison MSJ is the most used equation by RDs (registered dieticians).

Why: MSJ is figured using the data from what is called a metabolic cart - actual measurements of your resting energy expenditure (REE) or the equivalent of BMR.

There is a multiplier for activity and you'll find that mildly active might mean an 800 calorie burn 5 days a week....so that's more than "mild" to most people..but that's how the formula works. To loose weight you'll need to take in about 500 cals less per day for a week to lose one pound..and the numbers will reflect this.

Part 2: Realize that these numbers are for people that want to maintain a weight they always were. Sorry, but when you lose weight your REE/BMR slows..below what it should be....your brain and body are trying to retain your prior weight.

It gets complicated....and believe it or not for about 75 dollars you can have your actual REE/BMR calculated by someone (RD) who has the equipment. It's only good for that weight at that time...but still it gives you an idea of how far off the formula might be for you....

Now just so you know...I'm going to do this for myself soon...but I lost all my weight without knowing it. So it's not necessary.

Need more help. Hollar!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12, read the instructions. Dan lays everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.
    I was just gonna post this very link - EXCELLENT thread with great info! Definitely read it! :smile:

Personally, I never net below my BMR. Why would you want to give your body less than the amount of fuel it needs to exist in a comatose state? :tongue: