What do you do when...?

Options
Hello all, I am looking for suggestions because when I weighed in today, like I do each Thursday, I gained a pound. I have been faithfully following the calorie guidelines and doing the C25K program at a minimum 3 times per week. I am feeling a bit discouraged. I have eliminated Splenda and artificial sweeteners and sports drinks. I don't drink soda and or coffee. I never reach my suggested total carbs. Thanks for anything you can suggest that is healthy.

Replies

• summersherbek
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if you aren't eating enough. I am part of a team that promotes a health challenge in Omaha, NE, and we do a calorie workup for people on the team with us that just uses basic nutrition math (BMR and HBE formulas). By accounting more accurately for your average level of activity and average eating a week at a time, we've had more success with it than just with mfp (though we still use mfp for tracking).

I've seen many people move off plateau within a week, even a few that were stuck for 6 months or longer, just by having better information about where they should be eating and making small adjustments. Most of them aren't eating enough to fuel their bodies for weight loss. Further, some have found that though they aren't seeing pounds fall off, they are losing inches (building lean muscle). The workup also helps people understand that it isn't just about the number on the scale...its also about inches and body fat percentage.

I'd be happy to get a workup to you if you'd like one, just message me your height, weight and age, or your BMR. Couldn't hurt, might help!

I'll need an email address, too, because the workup is in Excel, and I haven't figured out how (if its possible) to attach anything to a message here. We use Excel because as you lose weight, your BMR will go down and the numbers will need to be adjusted to ensure continued success. The spreadsheet updates everything automatically once the BMR is updated.
  • onanoko
    onanoko Posts: 18
    Options
    Have you been tracking your sodium? Did you workout yesterday? (I think this can cause water retention the next day) Have you noticed any changes with the tape measure? Just some ideas. Try to remember its not all about the scale (frustrating as it can be!) If you are feeling better, have more energy, know you are eating better and healthier foods then you are already on the right track!

Also try opening your diary, you will get better feedback from everyone here. :smile:
  • mela216r
    mela216r Posts: 23
    Options
    I just had this happen and I know it's discouraging! But then my family pointed out that 1 lb. could be attributed to something as simple as eating too much salt the day before & retaining more water...hmmmm. I also noted that I bolted out of the house 2 consecutive days and skipped breakfast, so possibly my metabolism didn't get fueled up properly. Maybe even your monthly cycle? You're doing all the right stuff so don't let it bother you too much. Just keep on keeping on!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    keep going!!!... your new on this and like others have said could def be sodium or your body just adjusting.. or ?? but keep on track and next week you could be down 3#'s never know!!! are you on a regiment to loose 1# a week or 2 or??
  • amybmcd
    amybmcd Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My husband just said "Give it another week and see what happens." I think I will do that. Sodium tracking sounds like a good idea. I will try that this week, just to get a baseline. I am a teacher and have been attending the usual preschool year trainings. I have passed up all the chocolate when the bag comes around and I am drinking my water. I just felt so discouraged. Thanks.