Eating Disorder

Options
Trying hard to overcome an eating disorder I've had for 2 years. Any motivation would be awesome!

Replies

• jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    Well done for coming on here. They say the first step to healing is recognising you have a problem- so well done for coming on here and trying to do something about it. You will find plenty of inspirational people here who will support and motivate you through your journey.
    Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
    Keep up the good work. I am looking so forward to hearing your success stories in the future.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've never had an ED, just wanted to say that it's very admirable that you are really trying to overcome this and making the effort to lead a healthier lifestyle. We're all struggling in our own ways and I've found MFP to be an excellent source of information and support. I hope you can be successful.

What I did to help me stop eating processed foods is research to find out exactly why they were bad for me and how they were affecting my health. Knowing what all those chemicals sodium and fat were doing to my body made it way easier to resist! Im sure you know how bad EDs are for your health, but maybe take a closer look into exactly how much damage you could be doing to yourself and it might make things a bit easier? This is the only thing I can think of at the moment sorry if it's no good.

All the best to you!
  • fightingED
    Options
    Thanks you two. Super helpful // nice! I'm doing this mostly on my own, because my parents don't focus on the "healthy part" they just want me to eat. so they shove food down my throat every chance they get. It is making me just feel worse. So I'd love all the support I can get.
  • weightlessxoxo
    Options
    Hey me too- Ive been in recovery for the last year. Trying to lose weight the healthy way, while recovery from an ed is really hard and can be so triggering. Lets help each other out- ad me!
  • fightingED
    Options
    added! and i know what you mean.
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me! I struggle with EDNOS and I would love some support and new friends. :) Also, I will try my best to support you no matter what ed you have (or stage of recovery you are in).
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Have you explained to them that you would be more likely to eat if you could feel good about what you are eating? and explain what that means? get them to think of it like a compromise... you will do your best to try to be healthy, if they will meet you in the middle and try to provide you with foods you are more comfortable with.

When I was a teen, everything that came out of my mouth sounded like I had an attitude, lol. You may not mean it, but having been a teenage girl once I can say... sometimes we can sound obnoxious! so, if you try to talk to them just consider that your tone can have a HUGE influence over how willing people are to help you or try to understand you. If you can talk to them calmly, and really explain what you need without getting too emotional, that might help you make your case for healthier eating as a family. They may say the wrong things, try not to let it push your buttons... your ability to make your case without it becoming an argument will be a testament to how serious you are.
  • hrokosky12
    hrokosky12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So glad to see everyone come together. Eating issues also, any advice/help would be appreciated!

Thanks ladies!!
  • lightheartedangel
    lightheartedangel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think I have ED, but I've never been diagnosed. I binge a lot, and while I don't purge I still have all the feelings/guilt/anxiety/depression that goes along with it. I'm trying to figure out how to cope but it's hard since none of my family and friends understand.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I fought an ED for four years in high school/college. What really helped me was figuring out what messages were just wrong - you know, if a choreographer encouraged us to try an all-cabbage-soup diet, the old me would think, "ok, that might be a good idea, she's really good at something I'm really good at so I shouldn't discount it...". But the new me had to learn to think, "No! That's a HORRIBLE idea and will NOT make me a better dancer or any healthier! You may be good at one thing I want to be good at, but you're not good at nutrition!"

Having the courage to think that not every message you hear about your body (directly or indirectly) is necessarily healthy/true was a huge step for me. Being able to mentally think, "I'm so glad I got past that idea/person's viewpoint - I hope one day they will learn to love themselves and love being really, truly healthy too".

Also, learning to love having the energy/clarity that comes with being full.

Also, looking at beautiful curvy women - not necessarily a size 12 or a size 20 (though I have learned to appreciate those body types too), but even seeing a size 8 and recognizing that to a lot of the world (especially to men!), she's MORE beautiful than a size 2. That was huge.
  • fightingED
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me! I struggle with EDNOS and I would love some support and new friends. :) Also, I will try my best to support you no matter what ed you have (or stage of recovery you are in).

ahh well good for you for admitting you have an ed. and thanks:)
  • fightingED
    Options
    I fought an ED for four years in high school/college. What really helped me was figuring out what messages were just wrong - you know, if a choreographer encouraged us to try an all-cabbage-soup diet, the old me would think, "ok, that might be a good idea, she's really good at something I'm really good at so I shouldn't discount it...". But the new me had to learn to think, "No! That's a HORRIBLE idea and will NOT make me a better dancer or any healthier! You may be good at one thing I want to be good at, but you're not good at nutrition!"

Having the courage to think that not every message you hear about your body (directly or indirectly) is necessarily healthy/true was a huge step for me. Being able to mentally think, "I'm so glad I got past that idea/person's viewpoint - I hope one day they will learn to love themselves and love being really, truly healthy too".

Also, learning to love having the energy/clarity that comes with being full.

Also, looking at beautiful curvy women - not necessarily a size 12 or a size 20 (though I have learned to appreciate those body types too), but even seeing a size 8 and recognizing that to a lot of the world (especially to men!), she's MORE beautiful than a size 2. That was huge.

what an amazing response. thank you:)