Grieving over the loss of a friend and feel like binging

Options
I learned a few hours ago that a friend from high school died in a car accident. I am extremely saddened by her death, and now that I have cried my eyes out at home, my first instinct is to buy some kind of junk food and binge on it. A big bag of nacho chips, anything. I already know that a big reason (though not the only reason) for why I am overweight is because I overeat when I'm stressed out or sad. If I don't binge, I'll have 226 calories left over for the day. I will have even more if I drag my sorry self and go for a jog in the park, which I know would make me feel better. I *really* don't want to ruin today by overeating junk, but the sadness is overwhelming.

I have been doing well, though not perfectly, with exercise and healthy eating over the past 2 weeks, and I don't want to ruin the streak. I am scared to allow myself one bad day like today- what if I'm unable to return to the good routine I am having? Eating my feelings is NOT like allowing myself a well-deserved "cheat day" once in a while to keep my sanity. I think there is a difference between the two..

I guess I'm looking for support and ideas from people who are learning not to eat their feelings when they're sad, stressed, etc.

Replies

• rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you go for a quick jog/walk around the park, and let's say burn 200 calories, then together with the 226 you already have, you will have 426 calories, and you can do something with it! Fill your need for something salty by maybe getting some fries at In n Out... they are only 395 calories, and you wouldn't necessarily "ruin" your day if you don't add a ton of salt.

Or have a nice salad with a chicken breast, and maybe enjoy a Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwich! There is a ton of food that you can have, and should have.... It is also not healthy to end a day with that many "extra" calories.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend! I know how difficult that can be, but remember that you are still here on this earth, and you owe it to yourself (and him/her) to make your time here count!
  • nadia_in_mtl
    Options
    Thanks, rfarinha. Reading your post helped me. I just returned from a 32 minute jog in the park, and I burned a cool 330 calories according to my HRM. It's late but I haven't eaten dinner yet. I will likely buy a frozen meal and a small snack, I definitely won't binge and I will be within my calorie limit for the day. Too tired to cook tonight!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And again... so sorry for your loss. :cry:
  • AmericanCowboy76
    AmericanCowboy76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Losing someone you love is so very hard. I gained weight after my wife died and I am working to take it off. Stay strong. I hear it gets easier everyday and in my case its a little true. I still miss her with every heart beat but I am happy because I see her in our babies.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So sorry!
    I just pushed through something like this, today!
    I encourage you to plan your eating for the rest of the day.
    By that, I mean you may let yourself eat, but only what you have decided upon.
    Instead of binging on random stuff.
    So if you want a treat, maybe just make yourself wait until after you eat dinner.

Get away from food, if possible.
    Plan your day for tomorrow, and get ready for it (set out clothes, prepare a list, etc).

Blessings on you today!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss!

I, too, attended a service, burial etc. this week. It was my good friend's 16-year old son, who lost to a long battle.

Why I didn't over eat this week is beyond me because I have raised my children along side of hers...

But, what I CAN tell you is this family of your friend that died, will need strength. By your standing tall and strong for your friends and friend's family, you need to be healthy.

I saw people at this service that have lost their husband and standing tall next to her children she is raising alone, I saw a young boy who has already lost a brother, now his best friend, I saw two mother's that have children with the same disease.

So, when I left all of this sadness, I KNEW that my eating was not something I would let fall through the cracks. I was going to be as strong as all of these people I just left and not overeat!

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Be strong and be healthy.
  • nadia_in_mtl
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your nice words. I ended up staying on track on Thursday and onwards. It's not easy to break decades-old patterns, but hopefully we will all get there!
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I understand stress eating all too well. I have started keeping a journal instead of eating. I write what I am feeling and why I am wanting to eat. I hope this helps a little.
    I can never have too many friends and would be happy to count you among them.
    Again, I am so sorry about your friend.
    God bless you,
    Doni
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your news ......

Eating junk is a temptation ...... and may make you feel better for a few seconds ...... but guaranteed after that you will feel worse ...... channel that emotion into something constructive ...... exercise or clean something ...... keep busy .....

Hang in there :heart:
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi, i am sorry for your loss.

but I think in the long run you would feel even worse if you eat the wrong things and you might end up feel bad because you eat the wrong things.
    Stay strong and lean on friends, talk to them and share and remember the good and fun times. each day will get a tiny bit better and easier. Big hug for you!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice. But I am so sorry for your loss. *hugs*