My scale broke...

Options
I'm currently 15lbs down and 16lbs from my goal and my scale broke this morning. I'm thinking about going scale free for a while....good idea or bad idea? I'm completely torn.

Replies

• blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do it!
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    Great idea. Focus on getting stronger/faster, and being as healthy as you can be. The important thing is to feel great, especially because you're only 16lbs away. Once you reach that what are you going to do if you can't focus on the scale because you don't want to lose more weight (or it's unhealthy)?
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm usually anti-scale. But the last time I went scale free I gained 20 pounds.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What makes you want to go "scale free"
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Bad idea...it is just too easy to let pounds creep back on to you because you lost track of your real/actual weight. A scale is a tool that you NEED in order to reach your goal...replace it as soon as possible.
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish I could help you! I know the right answer is "you don't need the scale, just use your measurements and the fit of your clothes to tell you how much you've lost". But I'm a scale-a-holic and have to weigh in every day. I even just bought a new scale because I didn't trust my old one. So do what you need to do. If you will go crazy without a scale, by all means, get a new one! If you want to try to change the way you think about weight loss and just go with the physical changes you can see and measure, then wait a while before getting a new one. Completely up to you!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Going without sounds ok to me. Some people track their progress in inches with a measuring tape. Others just monitor how loose or tight their clothes feel. However, if you are tracking your progress and basing that progress on weight loss in pounds, it will be very hard to track it if you can't weigh yourself somewhere at some point. You don't need to check it every day. Got a friend with a scale you could maybe hop on once a week?
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What makes you want to go "scale free"

I have made changes to my diet and activity level that I hope to keep up. I think if I'm not focusing on 'the number' (cue scary music) that I can keep doing what I'm doing without obsessing. It sounds good, but I'm pretty curious about 'the number' (more scary music).
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Bad idea I say. Its just a tool like anything else so why not keep one around
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Once you reach that [goal weight] what are you going to do if you can't focus on the scale because you don't want to lose more weight (or it's unhealthy)?

I've been on maintenance for pretty much forever now, and I use a scale to monitor my weight. It's a good way to make sure you don't start that slow creep back upwards. Just because you don't have any more to lose, doesn't make a scale useless. :flowerforyou:
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Can you use the scale at the gym while you are deciding?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I don't use one frequently. I don't need a scale to tell me I am gaining weight. If you are doing well with diet and working out, going a month or so might be liberating. Mine has needed a battery for like 3 months, I'm eh about it. I just hop on the scale at my mom's every now and then.