Jillians 30DS - Continue through the pain?

Options
I did Jillian's 30 day shred 2 days ago and my quads are killing me! I can barely walk down stairs! I went walking yesterday (instead of shred because my legs were so sore) and today I'm still sore but feel like I need to get on with it! I don't want to hurt myself though! I still have 3 little ones I need to chase around. :) Should I continue with the shred even though I'm in pain? Or will that cause damage to the muscles? Not sure what I should do. Any advice?

Replies

• crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Gotta separate if it's aches or pain... if your muscles are sore... stiff... and you can feel them every step you take... it's because you're shredding them and building them... Ice them... anti-inflammatory... welcome to muscle building. If it's pain... sharp... unfamiliar... feels like something is wrong... then stop.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Gotta separate if it's aches or pain... if your muscles are sore... stiff... and you can feel them every step you take... it's because you're shredding them and building them... Ice them... anti-inflammatory... welcome to muscle building. If it's pain... sharp... unfamiliar... feels like something is wrong... then stop.

good advice.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Perhaps do some warm up, e.g. a light walk, and then do a really good stretch. Could help to sooth the muscles. Take a couple of days off, then when it calms down, start again and maybe don't push yourself so much. Just do the easier moves to start with and then build up the the harder ones.
  • jnrinwa
    jnrinwa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 6 of level 1. My quads killed until day 4. Now they aren't bad at all. (I am completely out of shape and a huge weanie) :)
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    If it's sore, have some bananas, believe it or not it helps... along with an anti inflammatory and lots of water to flush the toxins from your system. Ice will also help.

However, if it's PAINFUL, Like, sprained your ankle kinda pain.... you should see a doctor as you might have pulled something.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    stretch a whole lot. like a LOT. do some yoga after the workout, for as long as you can, like an hour at least if possible. it helps.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Soreness =/= pain.

Which is it? Because that makes a huge difference.
  • Kealihc
    Kealihc Posts: 39
    Options
    That was exactly what I was going through, stairs and all lol. But I just kept going, I probably didn't get as deep into the exercises, all I know now is that the pain goes away, and now my quads don't trouble me at all!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Recommendations:
    1. Drink plenty of water before, during, and after....keep your body and your muscles hydrated
    2. Take anti-inflammatories BEFORE you do 30-DS and then every 4-6 hours for discomfort......stop the inflammatory response before it starts
    3. Drink a high protein recovery shake...I always find recovery is quicker when Ive gotten some decent carbs before a workout and gotten good protein after
    4. Alternating cold/heat OR do whichever feels better. I always found heat workes better for sore muscles later in the day, but right after a workout cold works well.....everyones different though.
    5. Stretch well before exercising....Id actually recommend some full body yoga stretches to get allloosened up.
    6. rinse and repeat.....the soreness will ease as your body becomes accustomed to the workout....but a little discomfort can be a good thing....just dont overdo it. And you feel like you cannot adequately make it through your day, ease up......weight loss, fitness and health is not a race.....do it slowly and steadily and your outcome will be successful!
  • mmlucks
    mmlucks Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on day 4, and my back/ab area is in so much pain. anyone else have this problem?
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There is NO way I could have done day 2 and 3 after day 1. I was absolutely incapacitated. I could barely walk. How on earth would I get through the 20 minutes??

But...after a 2 day break I continued and I wasn't nearly as sore and then it just got better and better.
  • MamaKay3
    MamaKay3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, today has been so much better, still slightly sore but I'm ready to go!! Starting back up today! :)