Jogging/Running Advice

Have been jogging regularly since April and now can do 3 miles easily, working my way up. My only issue is that I run slow! So I only have 30-45min in the morning and want to increase my time and distance. Any suggestions on ways to run faster, I keep telling myself and my body to do so, but it just doesn't listen.

Replies

• jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    I am working intervals and tempo into my shorter runs once or twice a week. I run at a faster pace for short periods during the run then return to a jogging pace to recover several times over the course of the run. Over the course of the run, I try to keep my step cadence in time with music at 150-160 bpm. I also determine what time I should pass several points in my run for a certain speed. Gives me incentive to maintain my pace. My 5k speed is improving due to these activites...

I ran across this page recently on increasing your speed using intervals:
    http://www.active.com/women/Articles/Pick-Up-the-Pace-With-a-Track-Workout.htm?page=2
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    Thanks, and i'll definitely look into the page!
  • Christineab
    Christineab Posts: 28 Member
    Get a subscription to Runners World....it has a wealth of great information...for both newbies and veterans.
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    I suppose you could do the couch to 5k programme, but instead of "walk x amoutn of time then jog y amount of time" you can have it so its "jog x amount of time, run y amount of time"

So the first week would look something like:
    Warmup
    60 second run
    90 second jog
    interval for 20 minutes
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    Great ideas, thanks! I did an intervals this weekend (ran/jog) ... was totally exhausted, but totally worth it !