Canned peas and corn??

Options
are these ok to eat in moderation? i went to the grocery store to find some yellow beans for hubby but couldn't (he doesn't like the green ones so I will be eating the ones that are left), but I do have canned corn in the cupboard...just want to see what everyone's opinions are on this first?

TIA

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies are going to have more sodium, but they're fine in moderation. I would choose fresh or frozen if I had a choice. :)
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You can find canned goods with low sodium even no sodium. Yes fresh or frozen is better but you do what you have to do! I personnally don't like frozen veggies... they always taste... well FROZEN to me. I perfer fresh but also do canned for convenience!
  • vrealize
    Options
    In case you're trying to incorporate more vegetables, might I recommend trying frozen ones if you don't want to buy fresh ones (for storage/spoilage, time reasons, whatever the motivation). There is a dramatic taste and texture difference between canned vs. frozen vegetables (such as corn, beans, peas, etc.). You can steam them, boil/heat them on the stove, whichever your cooking preference. I think you might find the vegetables more enjoyable that way, too. (: Note also that canned vegetables typically have more sodium as a preservative.

For packing your lunch, just put a serving of frozen veggies in a container. At work/school, add a tablespoon or so of water, pop in microwave to "steam" them. (:

The only canned vegetables I keep in my pantry involve tomato products (stewed, sauce, diced, whole) and perhaps the occasional can of olives.

If you are looking for the yellow version of green beans, you might have better luck finding the fresh version at a farmers' market. I have grown my own in my garden, too. http://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/search_results_detail.php?seedtype=V&seedid=565 Beware of gophers though, they really like bean plants.
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To me veggies are veggies. I actually prefer the canned variety to frozen. the texture always seems off. The only thing that i do like frozen is Broccoli. I always use the one in the bag plain. I always overcook it so that it is extremely soft. Just the way i like it. I add one pat of butter and salt and pepper. I do try for fresh veggies in the summer from the farmers market.
  • tzvishear
    Options
    if you use caned veggies watch the portion size and calories. some veggies have more calories than others.
  • pocostef
    Options
    I often eat canned corn as a low-calorie snack. One can is quite a lot of food, and with some pepper on it you won't be disappointed! Also good with lime juice on it.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like frozen or fresh veggies more then canned. But my husband and son like the canned ones. So I buy them their canned veggies and me my frozen ones. Sometimes I try to sneak in some frozen ones in their meals and they can always tell.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    are these ok to eat in moderation? i went to the grocery store to find some yellow beans for hubby but couldn't (he doesn't like the green ones so I will be eating the ones that are left), but I do have canned corn in the cupboard...just want to see what everyone's opinions are on this first?

TIA

I use canned NO SALT cut green beans and corn.
    I haven't been able to find no salt peas though, but, still have them anyway. :smile:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I know these are higher in sodium, but I absolutely love LeSeur peas with mushrooms and pearl onions. I have to force myself to just stop at one serving (1/2 cup)
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    thanks guys, i'll double check to see what the serving size is, and go with that.....i just wanted to know if there were others losing weight and still eating canned corn
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight and still eat corn.